Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDCAustralia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 225
Message 1 of 11

USB Device Not Recognized

I have a Moto G6 Play. I cannot connect to my computer using a USB cable. I get a "USB Device not recognized" error.

Note:

1. I have tried this with 3 different cables (including a Motorola cable).
  2. I have tried it with 3 different computers (2 running Windows 10 and 1 running Windows 7).
  3. Both the phone and the computer report that there is no connection.
  4. In spite of the error message, the phone charges when the cable is in place. My main reason for connecting is to use USB tethering to give Internet access to my laptop computer. This used to work fine, but no longer does.
  5. I updated the phone's software on February 6. This was for the 1 November 2018 security patch. I am not certain if this update caused the problem or if the problem pre-dated the update.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 187
Message 2 of 11

Re: USB Device Not Recognized

Hi, JDCAustralia!

Thanks for posting. Do you have USB debugging enabled on your device? You must have the Developer Options settings active on the phone first. To activate the Developer Options settings, go to Settings > System > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times. From there, you will need to find USB debugging and turn it on. Please set the USB Configuration to MTP or PTP as well from that page. Let us know if your computer will recognize the device.

Regards,
May
Moto Support

JDCAustralia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 180
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the suggestion. USB was in charging mode, but changing it to MTP or PTP made no difference. The device was still not recognized.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 134
Message 4 of 11

I appreciate you trying that, JDCAustralia. I understand that you have tried different computers for this. Can you please check if the OS of your computers is up to date? Also, please ensure to have the latest media feature pack and USB drivers updated as well. 

Regards,
May
Moto Support

JDCAustralia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 112
Message 5 of 11

My OS was not up-to-date, but I updated my laptop to Windows 10 version 1809 and it made no difference. The media feature pack is not applicable to my operating system version. There are no further updates available.

I think we are clutching at straws here. I have little doubt that the problem arose from the Motorola update.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 87
Message 6 of 11

Hi JDCAustralia,

I understand your concern about this. Please try to install the Motorola Device Manager on your computer that contains USB Drivers for your device. After that, try to connect it to your computer once again. Kindly check this link for the drivers.

Let me know how it goes. 

Regards,
May
Moto Support

JDCAustralia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 69
Message 7 of 11

Hi May,

Thanks for your persistance.

I downloaded and installed the drivers you linked to. Alas, it didn't solve the problem.

Regards

John

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 51
Message 8 of 11

Hi JDCAustralia,

We are trying our best to assist you with this and we thank you for your cooperation as well. Have you tried downloading this media feature pack for your Windows computer as well? Check this link for it. 

Regards,
May
Moto Support

JDCAustralia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 39
Message 9 of 11

As previously advised, that feature pack is not applicable to my operating system. It is for "N" versions of Windows 10. My operating system is not the "N" version. I did download the feature pack and attempt to install it, and the installation program reported that the software was not appropriate to my operating system.

The N versions lack some software that is normally present with Windows 10. See here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3145500/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions

My version is not lacking any of those things.

The USB connection used to work fine and I never had to install anything that didn't come with the operating system in order for it to work.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 21
Message 10 of 11

I understand that, JDCAustralia. Thank you for trying all of the steps that we have provided. Can you please make sure that there's no bent pins or debris that might be blocking the charging port? If none and you are still having the same concern, then our next step is to have the device serviced. Kindly check this link for the contact details of the support team in your region. 

Let us know if you have other questions.

Regards,
May
Moto Support

Top Kudoed Authors