Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blues_co
What's DOS?
Views: 399
Message 21 of 43

Re: Voice Match has stopped working

I am having the same issue. Upgraded to pie recently and now voice match isn't working. If you tap to turn voice match on it will briefly turn blue (on) and then back off. So frustrating. I've tried everything mentioned here except a hard restart with no luck. Any ideas? Seems like a perfectly good phone suddenly got less useful due to the "update". 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 360
Message 22 of 43

Hi blues_co,

Thanks for the post. Resetting the phone works for one of the users here. Have you tried doing a factory data reset without restoring your apps (Settings > System > Reset options > Factory Reset)? - I recommend doing that and see if that solves for you. Backup your files before resetting your phone so you won't lose your files. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Z3cool
What's DOS?
Views: 321
Message 23 of 43

OK, I regularly suffer form this bug also, so presumably everybody does.  It seems random, and can fix itself overnight!

Today i fixed it by:-

1] If you have it installed it, then remove "Google Assistant" app (I installed this in a failed previous attempt to fix Voice Match).

2] Remove updates from Google App (press and hold Google App -> press "i" -> Press three dots -> remove updates (I think this is the route to remove updates as this option is no longer available to me as I already removed updates!)

3] Power cycle phone by press and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

4] Press and hold home button to turn on Google assistant - I found that this option invoked the assistant as though it was a new feature, intruducing me to its benefits.  It found the old voice model though, but I decided to retrain it (a few seconds work)

Bingo!

This fix doesn't work on my parrtner's Moto G6!

blues_co
What's DOS?
Views: 333
Message 24 of 43

Rich, thanks for the reply. I haven't tried doing a factory reset as this seems rather drastic and inconvenient to fix this bug. Seems like a software update would be the more appropriate fix. 

gsorensen55
Paper Tape
Views: 320
Message 25 of 43

Sooo.... Is Lenovo doing anything about this problem?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 279
Message 26 of 43

It is important we try all possible troubleshooting steps you can do to isolate this. I would still recommend doing the factory data reset as mentioned in my previous post. Though I'm still further looking into it and searching outside the forums and see if I can find anything else we can try.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

gsorensen55
Paper Tape
Views: 265
Message 27 of 43

a) resetting is a massive inconvenience. It's unreasonable to suggest it as a solution just because you don't know what else to try.

b) even if that fixes it, it's not an acceptable solution. 

c) we aren't being paid to test your product and fix bugs that you introduced into a functioning production device. You should test it yourselves and figure out the solution. 

You broke a core android function. It has been broken for a long time. Fix it. Don't wait around expecting the community to figure it out themselves. 

Stoker3rdClass
Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 28 of 43

I've been having the same issue since the last update (see my earlier posts in this thread). However last week I received a new over the air update, which I installed taking my phone to Android 9, PPS29.55-37-4.

Early days but it's working without problem since the update. 

Cheers 

Ian 

gsorensen55
Paper Tape
Views: 225
Message 29 of 43

I don't have that update yet but here's a potential fix I just found:

Moto app > Voice > settings gear icon > retrain moto voice > toggle off voice control

Then go back into Google assistant settings and I was able to turn on voice match. I then went back and re-enabled the moto voice setting (I use it to respond to texts while driving) and Google voice match still works, for now. Good luck, everyone. 

Stoker3rdClass
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 30 of 43

I spoke too soon regarding the recent update to PPS29.55-37-4 as Voice Match stopped working again a few days after my last post.

However, it does seem to be something to do with the Moto App as pointed out by gsorensen55. I have found that if I disable the Moto App (Settings-> Apps & Notifications-> Moto and select "DISABLE") then I can enable Voice Match and it all works again. Re-enabling the Moto app doesn't seem to, initially at least, stop Voice Match from working.

Cheers

Ian

Top Kudoed Authors