Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Phone_user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,400
Message 1 of 11

Voice match not working

Hello,

I have been trying to enable Voice match as a way to unlock my Motorola Moto G6 Play without success because I can't train the phone to recognize my voice. I have followed the steps below:

1. Go to Settings then Security and Location;

2. Smart Lock;

3. Voice match. Here I enable Voice match and Google app opens;

4. When I asked to pronounce "OK Google" nothing happens. The "wheel" located before "Pronounce OK Google" text just keeps spinning and nothing happens. Is it as the microphone does not work, although the microphone works well in any other app on the phone. As a result of this, I cannot enable Voice Match to unlock my phone.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,363
Message 2 of 11

Re: Voice match not working

@Phone_user wrote:

Hello,

I have been trying to enable Voice match as a way to unlock my Motorola Moto G6 Play without success because I can't train the phone to recognize my voice. I have followed the steps below:

1. Go to Settings then Security and Location;

2. Smart Lock;

3. Voice match. Here I enable Voice match and Google app opens;

4. When I asked to pronounce "OK Google" nothing happens. The "wheel" located before "Pronounce OK Google" text just keeps spinning and nothing happens. Is it as the microphone does not work, although the microphone works well in any other app on the phone. As a result of this, I cannot enable Voice Match to unlock my phone.

Hi Phone_user,

Thanks for posting, have you tried retraining OK Google? Open up the Google App on your phone, then click on the 3 dots, menu button, then click on Settings, then Voice, then Voice Match, make sure first that Say "OK Google" anytime is on, as well as Unlock with Voice Match. Finally,y select Retain voice model and follow the instructions. 

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

Phone_user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,351
Message 3 of 11

That did not help.

When I go to Google app as suggested, the phone does not react to my voice as described in step #4 in my first post.

I forgot to mention in my first post, that my language is set to Slovenian. When I open Voice match in Google app, the option is grayed out. However if I add English (US) as a language in Google app, I can access voice matching, but I described, the phone does not react to my voice.

Strange enough I could access voice matching when I bought the phone in September with Slovenian language.

Phone_user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,308
Message 4 of 11

Can  someone tell me, if voice matching does not work, because my phone is configured to use Slovenian language? Is this "by design"?

Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,250
Message 5 of 11

@Phone_user

Thanks.

Hi Phone_user,

Apologies for the late answer! The Google Assistant is available in Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Thai. More languages are coming soon. 

When you change the language you use to talk with your Google Assistant, you change the language across your device.

On your Android phone or tablet, touch and hold the Home button or say "OK Google."
At the top right, tap Explore & Your stuff and then More More and then Settings.
Tap Assistant and then Languages.
Tap Add a language, and then choose a language. You can choose one or two languages.
Say “OK, Google” in the first language you chose.
Talk to your Assistant in either language, but not a mix of both.

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

Phone_user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,215
Message 6 of 11

I know that Google assistant / Google app is only available for certain languages. I HAVE ALREADY POSTED IN MY PREVIOUS POST THAT UNTIL I ADD ENGLISH LANGUAGE AS PRIMARY LANGUAGE (ALONG SLOVENIAN) IN GOOGLE APP, VOICE MATCHING IS UNAVAILABLE. WE BOTH AGREE ON THAT. In short, English is already added in Google app.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT ADDING ENGLISH LANGUAGE DOES NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM. I CAN START VOICE MATCHING FEATURE, BUT THE PHONE DOES NOT REACT TO "Ok Google" COMMAND. In short, when I say "OK Google" nothing happens. Please see the screenshot below.

Screenshot_20181218-153746.png

Note that because of this problem I can't use voice matching feature to unlock the phone.

I would like to know if such behavior is "by design". Do I have to reset the phone and then select English language at the beginning of the setup process instead of Slovenian? Is it impossible to have Android user interface in Slovenian and Google assistant / Google app in English?

MadeUpName237
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,203
Message 7 of 11

How good is your English? Maybe the phone can't understand you.

If I say the wrong words during the voice training I get the same result you are getting. I tried to say a name instead of "Hey Google" to see if I could do it and it didn't work.

If you finally get past this issue, don't forget to enable "Smart Lock (Google)" as a trust agent in your security settings. That turned out to be why I couldn't unlock my phone with Voice match. (after successful training)

Phone_user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,201
Message 8 of 11

Well, I studied English for 8 years and you can judge my English from my previous posts. I'm pretty sure how to pronounce "Hey Google" in a quiet room with no background sounds.

MadeUpName237
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,181
Message 9 of 11

Your written English being flawless does not inform me how clearly you speak it. I'm going to assume that's not the issue.

Reading the thread over and over one things sticks out, the moto agent said "Say “OK, Google” in the first language you chose."

Since only one of the two languages you want to use are on the list, you probably have to setup the phone in english, then add the 2nd language after it's all working again.

I'm no tech, I'm just reading your thread and trying to help understand your issue.

I know there's been security patches since sept, perhaps one of those is what caused the issue to pop up.

You may have better luck on the google forums, I did.

https://support.google.com/assistant#topic=7546466
Phone_user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,169
Message 10 of 11

Problem fixed.

I don't know why, but it takes the phone some time to enable voice matching. Here are the steps:

1. Enable as a primary language a language supported in Google assistant / Google app (in my case English);

2. Try voice matching;

3. If voice matching does not work do not remove the language you added in step #1 as a primary language, but close voice matching and try again in a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.

Top Kudoed Authors