cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gdk771
Punch Card
Views: 1,223
Message 1 of 7

Why does U3 spec EVO micro SD card not work for internal storage?

I have a Moto G6 and according to the users manual regarding micro SD cards it states...

We recommend use of a  high speed card , such as a UHS-1 type.   Class 4 and Class 2 micro SD cards are not recommended for adopted internal storage usage

I purchased a Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card that should be more than fast enough at this amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I inserted it into my phone and attempted to format it as internal memory, the following message came up...

This SD card appears too slow. You can continue but apps may stutter and data transfers may take a long time

Can someone please tell me why a U3 class card won't work in a phone that specifies a minimum U1 class card?  I have always had good luck with Samsung memory in the past (even in 4K drones) so I am somewhat puzzled here.  Is there a list of "approved" memory since you apparently can't trust the specified ratings in the manual?

thanks

gdk771
Punch Card
Views: 1,189
Message 2 of 7

Re: Why does U3 spec EVO micro SD card not work for internal storage?

Can anyone post a micro SD card that DOES work if the mods have no idea what cards work either??

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 1,155
Message 3 of 7

@gdk771 wrote:

Can anyone post a micro SD card that DOES work if the mods have no idea what cards work either??

That warning message will be shown when formatting any consumer available SD card as internal storage. It's essentially a generic Android warning. It will always display this warning as the SD Card is slower than the phones physical internal memory. Anytime you have storage slower than the phones physical memory, apps will potentially run slower and load times might be longer. As long as you are using a high-speed card, you should be ok.

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
gdk771
Punch Card
Views: 1,119
Message 4 of 7

OK Tom,

Now I am really confused.  This seems to contradict what the owners manual states.  Here is what it says...

Performance warning

We recommend use of a  high speed card , such as a UHS-1 type.   Class 4 and Class 2 micro SD cards are not recommended for adopted internal storage usage. The performance of these cards is typically 10x slower than internal storage performance

If your card it too slow, your device will warn your during the adoption process. If you encounter this dialog, we advise to upgrade your card to a UHS-1 card first.

This does not sound like a generic android warning to me.  It seems to state if the phone detects the card is too slow it will warn you.  Are you saying to just disregard this warning?  If so, why did Morola put it there in the first place?  The manual seems to indicate you willl only encouter this warning if it detects a card not meeting the specs required.  It may be a misprint in the manual, I just want to verify this before I install this card in my phone and start using it.

Here is a link to the manual concerning this...

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g6/documents/MS127856

Thanks

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 1,110
Message 5 of 7

@gdk771 wrote:

OK Tom,

Now I am really confused.  This seems to contradict what the owners manual states.  Here is what it says...

Performance warning

We recommend use of a  high speed card , such as a UHS-1 type.   Class 4 and Class 2 micro SD cards are not recommended for adopted internal storage usage. The performance of these cards is typically 10x slower than internal storage performance

If your card it too slow, your device will warn your during the adoption process. If you encounter this dialog, we advise to upgrade your card to a UHS-1 card first.

This does not sound like a generic android warning to me.  It seems to state if the phone detects the card is too slow it will warn you.  Are you saying to just disregard this warning?  If so, why did Morola put it there in the first place?  The manual seems to indicate you willl only encouter this warning if it detects a card not meeting the specs required.  It may be a misprint in the manual, I just want to verify this before I install this card in my phone and start using it.

Here is a link to the manual concerning this...

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g6/documents/MS127856

Thanks

I understand your concern. However, anytime an SD Card is slower then phones physical internal storage you'll see the warning. I've used a Samsung UHS-I card in multiple phones and received the message on all of them, however, it worked fine for internal usage on all of them.

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
gdk771
Punch Card
Views: 1,085
Message 6 of 7

Well I wish you would consider updating the manual to reflect this.  It is very confusing the way it is written.  Reading it made me think I had a card not meeting spec.  Oh well, I already returned it to Amazon.  Guess I can order it again Smiley Frustrated  Motorola might want to clarify or change this warning with the Pie update (assuming that ever happens Smiley Wink

thanks for the update on this.  

IT-Bob
What's DOS?
Views: 348
Message 7 of 7

Installed the same new Samsung EVO Select from Amazon into a new G6 today and tried several times formatting as Internal Storage and it failed each time. Formatted as Portable Storage without any problem.

Top Kudoed Authors