Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dslai
Punch Card
Views: 16,252
Message 1 of 78

low speaker volume on phone calls

On my Moto G6, when I make phone calls using the standard Phone app, the speaker volume is not that loud even at the max call volume. It's hard to hear from the speaker due to the low volume. If I turn on the speakerphone, it's a little bit better at the max call volume to have a conversation, but still the volume seems lower than it should.

If I use the Hangouts app to make calls though, then I have no speaker volume issues. In either speakerphone mode or not, the speaker using Hangouts is a lot louder than when using the Phone app. With Hangouts, I need to turn down the call volume as it's too loud in fact.

I do not have any low speaker volume issues in other apps like Youtube, Line, etc... Does anyone notice a similar volume issue when making calls in the Phone app or know what can be done about it?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 15,857
Message 2 of 78

Re: low speaker volume on phone calls

Hello dslai,

Thank you for reporting and providing additional information. We would like to investigate further into this. Strange that it works great with other third-party apps not with default. 

• May I know if the call volume is fine in a regular mode not in speaker mode?
  • Can we test in safe mode just to narrow down? 
  • Does this happen to any specific location or caller/contacts?
  • Could you share us a quick video on showing the call over the speaker with full volume raised, we would like to take a look.
  • Do we have any third party apps installed in your device for calling?

Finally, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps to determine what is causing the issue? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled. This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,

Swaraj

dslai
Punch Card
Views: 15,842
Message 3 of 78

The problem is with the call volume in regular mode (when I put my ear to the speaker), even when the call volume is set to its maximum. In speaker phone mode, the volume is acceptable for use, although I mentioned before that it doesn't seem as loud as it could be.

The problem still occurs in safe mode.

The problem is not specific to being in any certain location or making calls to certain contacts.

I don't think a video would be helpful as the main problem is with the call volume in regular mode, not when using a speaker phone. One has to put their ear against the phone's speaker to hear that it's not that loud even when the call volume is set to its highest level.

Regarding third party app, I do use Google Hangouts, which can make phone calls over a data network. I mentioned before that using Hangouts, there is no problem with the call volume in regular mode, which is very loud at the maximum level. But I know that the problem with the low volume using the standard Phone app occurred when I first got the phone before installing Hangouts.

I updated my profile with IMEI information and turned on both settings for Motorola Privacy on the phone (Help Improve Motorola Products, Enhanced Device Support).

By the way, I found a huge thread about a similar problem with low call volume for the Moto G5 series at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Low-Volume-During-Calls-via-earpiece-and-speaker/t.... And there are lots of other threads for the Moto G5 series about this same issue, but most of them are being closed to reference the larger thread. It seems the problem was never fixed for the Moto G5 and it carried over to the G6.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 15,821
Message 4 of 78

Hello dslai,

Thank you for providing additional information, if the issue you are addressing is from the beginning and did not help in safe mode/device help app, reset --then the next option would be service/exchange/replacement so that our service engineer team can further look into the same and help you accordingly.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto support

StpdMnki
Paper Tape
Views: 15,751
Message 5 of 78

I have the same issue with 2 G6 phones.

I have spent hours with Google Fi chat going thru all of the troubleshooting, including factory reset, total waste of time.

Last chat ended with a replacement being sent, it has exactly the same issues.

This is an issue with the G6 or the included phone app.

Google blames Moto, Moto sends you back to Google, because "you bought the phone from them" and Google says "Its a Moto problem we cant fix" so as a consumer, you're screwed.

dslai
Punch Card
Views: 15,728
Message 6 of 78

Thanks for confirming that you also have the same problem on your Moto G6. I think all Moto G6 phones will have the same problem and getting a replacement or going thru their repair service will not solve anything. We need Motorola/Lenovo to fix the problem with a system update. It's clearly a software issue as the speaker is plenty loud in other apps, just not loud enough during phone calls.

I see so many other threads mentioning the same issue with low call volume for the Moto G5 and Lenovo seems to be just ignoring the problem. In that 30+ page thread for the Moto G5, someone mentioned the problem can be fixed by modifying  the volume settings in a /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml file (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Low-Volume-During-Calls-via-earpiece-and-speaker/t...). But modfiying this file requires the phone to be rooted, which would void the phone's warranty. Lenovo could release a system update to fix the values in this file or allow the end user to do so thru some UI settings interface, but has chosen not to do so so far.

It's pretty obvious to me that the Moto G6 has the same issue that's on the G5. I would like to think that a future system update for the G6 could fix this issue, but if they haven't done it for the G5 so far, I'm not too hopeful they would fix it for the G6.

StpdMnki
Paper Tape
Views: 15,725
Message 7 of 78

I did find a setting in the accessibility menu that you can turn on hearing aid compatibility.

It will then produce ear piercing, but distorted levels. You have to turn the call volume nearly all the way down, but it makes the phone some what usable.

dhf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,454
Message 8 of 78

The suggestion to turn on Hearing Aid compatibility totally solved the problem for me, now I can hear received call audio from the built-in speaker/earphone. My hearing is normal but the audio level was too low except for in a dead silent environment, not the real world. Now it is perfect and, for me at least, not at all distorted.

Enabling this option is not obvious as it cannot be found on the Accsessability  Menu entered from the main Settings menu. Instead it can only be found by using the settings option found by entering the Phone Settings menu via its icon, where it can then be set.

I'm surprised and dissappointed that with all the complaints of low phone call received audio, Motorola Service has not suggested this fix.

dslai
Punch Card
Views: 15,447
Message 9 of 78

By the way, I did exchange my Moto G6 phone for another one thru a warranty replacement for a different issue (problem with the fingerprint sensor) and this same issue of low speaker volume on phone calls still occurs on the replacement phone. So it looks like this problem is inherent on all Moto G6 phones (and carried over from the G5).

Highlighted
sprintcdmauser
What's DOS?
Views: 15,293
Message 10 of 78

Shame on you Lenovo, this is a hardware problem that should have never happened.. A phone is supposed to communicate? Why do you make it so difficult? 

Top Kudoed Authors