Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TC15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 315
Message 1 of 16

problem with Google maps on my G6 play

Hi, can anyone help me with a problem I have with Google maps, I can not get a accurate compass set up. My location on the map is very hit and miss, some times up to half a mile out.  I've done the figure of 8 routine (no end of times) but it still won't improve.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 314
Message 2 of 16

Re: problem with Google maps on my G6 play

Have you tried removing Google maps and then re-updating it?

TC15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 302
Message 3 of 16

Yeah no difference, I've just noticed that the blue dot on g maps is not showing the "tail" like it does on my wifes  phone? 🤔

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 283
Message 4 of 16

Is the phone's,"Location/GPS"working?

TC15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 281
Message 5 of 16

Yeah, I've been checking all the usual things and I've been looking on different sights to see if there's anything else I can do to improve the situation.  I read on Google that the G6 play sold in USA is the only version WITH  a magnetometer!  I don't know if this is true or what it does to be honest but it's something to do with maps but how do I check it out.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 276
Message 6 of 16

I only have a Moto G3 but Google maps using Location/GPS is very accurate and therefore I don't need compass :/

Just in case try a,"Soft Reset" which emulates taking the battery out.On my G3 I fully hold in Volume buttonand keeping it hels in hold in the power button until the phone restarts.Sometimes this can fix small glitches.

Quite a few people like this Offline map app,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro&hl=en_GB

TC15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 272
Message 7 of 16

Cool, I'll give it a try... I'm trying to use the Google maps but it says to re callibrat the compass but doing what they say, still leaves accuracy "low"

TC15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 264
Message 8 of 16

Just tried the soft reboot but still no joy😞 I'll remember that trick for soft reboot, so thanks for that anyway 👍.

It seems that the magnetometer works in conjunction with a gyroscope to give a high level of accuracy to my position.  

I just do know if G6 play in UK, weren't fitted with this....  Just seem strange not to have it if it's so important 🤔.    I think my next move must be go directly to the help line.   Thank you for your help so far, if and when I get an answer, I'll let you know.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 230
Message 9 of 16

Hi TC15,

Please be informed that the compass has nothing to do with the locations, for the GPS-- we are testing from our end. Could you confirm if you have tested this outdoors?  If yes, do you see the same results? How about testing GPS under 'Moto Help' app? To do so >> Locate Moto Help app > Hardware test > GPS? Let us know how it goes?

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

TC15
Fanfold Paper
Views: 221
Message 10 of 16

Hi,   the whole reason I have been trying to get to grips with what is happening is,

1.  In Google map the blue dot often does not appear to be accurate, it can be as much as half a mile out. Sometimes in the middle of a field.

2.  Google map help suggest that I do a figure of 8 to get a better compass accuracy as my reading is "low",  now I have done this so many times I've lost count, inside, outside, upstairs and I've even tried it in the local park.

3.  The only reason I want this to be accurate as possible is I share my location with my wife so she knows where I am when out on my motorcycle (68years old) it let's her follow me about and know I'm safe.

Now to answer your question about the moto GPS test it says it's between 11 - 16 satellites, which I think is ok.   I'm now trying a different map app to see if it's any better just to compare the two.    Just one more thing,  my wife has a Samsung S5 using Google maps and I tried to follow her location even though I knew where she was going and it was just as bad, she apparently was on route out of town but was in fact in town shopping .

Top Kudoed Authors