Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeishiNui
Serial Port
Views: 355
Message 1 of 5

How I'm Fixing Battery Drain

First and foremost, if you suspect that you have a bad battery then visit the service center near you.

I don't think that my battery needs replacing so I have tried a lot of ways to try and recalibrate the battery as I personally came to the conclusion that it's just a bad calibration between the battery itself and Android OS.

Might also help with replacing the cable with a better quality as I have done in mine.

Lastly, this isn't a one time instant "fix" and here's what I did.

I have it charged to 100% and let it do the battery drain up to the point the os prompts me that it's going to shutdown in 30s. I let it do so, then after a minute or two that it's off, i power it back on. It'll jump right back to the powering off in 30s just a couple of seconds right after I get to the lockscreen. I've let it do that for quite a number of times, maybe 10x. On the 10th time, I plugged in the charger causing the countdown to stop and charge the phone to 100% and kept it plugged in (I don't think it matters how long or short in this case) until I felt satisfied. At this point I let it do the battery drain again, I know it'll happen because right after I unplugged the cable, the battery screen remaining time would show less than 2 hrs. As of this point, I'm letting it drain and power off. Only difference this time is that I plugged in the charger before powering it on which shows 40-50% battery remaining then powered it on while plugged in. I'm repeating the same of keeping it plugged in after getting 100% and let it drain and power off. I've repeated that last section a couple of times as well in a span of 2 days.

On the 3rd day, and this is the final set, after letting the battery drain, the moment I get notified it'll power down in 30s I plugged in the cable and let it go for 100%. Now, same setup, unplugged the charger, let it drain and see how it goes. This time around, it drained to 47% and stayed at 47% meaning it seems that it's now using the correct information of what's really in the battery. A minute and two have passed and stayed in 47% by which the phone should have powered off.

I have it plugged in now and going to repeat this again, but I feel confident that it's not going to drain straight to 1% anymore. Might still see a drain from 100% to 40% so I'll be doing this until I no longer see a drain from 100% right away after unplugging the cable.

Thanks for reading this long post. Hopefully, it does the same on yours. I probably won't be replying for any questions but might be back for anything else that I can share.

EDIT: Corrected a typo and removed redundant phrase.

SeishiNui
Serial Port
Views: 326
Message 2 of 5

Re: How I'm Fixing Battery Drain

*Very quick update*Screenshot_20181022-171230.png

As seen, it's 29min after unplugging the cable and i just finished a 26min video on YouTube with 60% volume (no headphones) and that should be hitting 80% or lower during the battery drain. I'm not going to say it's good now, as I'm still expecting a drain. 

Still going to test it further...

NikhilJpr
802.11n
Views: 315
Message 3 of 5

@SeishiNui wrote:

First and foremost, if you suspect that you have a bad battery then visit the service center near you.

I don't think that my battery needs replacing so I have tried a lot of ways to try and recalibrate the battery as I personally came to the conclusion that it's just a bad calibration between the battery itself and Android OS.

Might also help with replacing the cable with a better quality as I have done in mine.

Lastly, this isn't a one time instant "fix" and here's what I did.

I have it charged to 100% and let it do the battery drain up to the point the os prompts me that it's going to shutdown in 30s. I let it do so, then after a minute or two that it's off, i power it back on. It'll jump right back to the powering off in 30s just a couple of seconds right after I get to the lockscreen. I've let it do that for quite a number of times, maybe 10x. On the 10th time, I plugged in the charger causing the countdown to stop and charge the phone to 100% and kept it plugged in (I don't think it matters how long or short in this case) until I felt satisfied. At this point I let it do the battery drain again, I know it'll happen because right after I unplugged the cable, the battery screen remaining time would show less than 2 hrs. As of this point, I'm letting it drain and power off. Only difference this time is that I plugged in the charger before powering it on which shows 40-50% battery remaining then powered it on while plugged in. I'm repeating the same of keeping it plugged in after getting 100% and let it drain and power off. I've repeated that last section a couple of times as well in a span of 2 days.

On the 3rd day, and this is the final set, after letting the battery drain, the moment I get notified it'll power down in 30s I plugged in the cable and let it go for 100%. Now, same setup, unplugged the charger, let it drain and see how it goes. This time around, it drained to 47% and stayed at 47% meaning it seems that it's now using the correct information of what's really in the battery. A minute and two have passed and stayed in 47% by which the phone should have powered off.

I have it plugged in now and going to repeat this again, but I feel confident that it's not going to drain straight to 1% anymore. Might still see a drain from 100% to 40% so I'll be doing this until I no longer see a drain from 100% right away after unplugging the cable.

Thanks for reading this long post. Hopefully, it does the same on yours. I probably won't be replying for any questions but might be back for anything else that I can share.

EDIT: Corrected a typo and removed redundant phrase.

➡️ Motorola should give some prize to you for performing such complex procedures so frequently.

SeishiNui
Serial Port
Views: 254
Message 4 of 5

Motorola should give some prize to you for performing such complex procedures so frequently.

Oh I don't need any prize or anything from them. Ever since the last post that I shared a few months back I already ditched Motorola/Lenovo and I'd suggest everyone having frustrations like this to do the same.

I only tried to see what I can do with it because of Ragnarok M: Eternal Love game that I'd like to have a support account when playing on my new Nokia (which has been working great and a better replacement for what Motorola was)

My very last note on this is just ditch Motorola/Lenovo and never recommend it to the people you know which is what I have been doing.

EDIT: I'm not using the phone anymore and it's just sitting as paperweight, in case someone is wondering.

Highlighted
SeishiNui
Serial Port
Views: 78
Message 5 of 5

*** Just Sharing ***

I don't know how to call the attention of the mods but in case they'll be able to read this and this phone is still planned to receive ota updates hope this helps.

Battery drain doesn't seem to be a battery hardware issue, if someone else would like to try then observe and maybe share your findings. Just sharing this for those who still can't have a replacement.

First is you'll need "Proximity Service" app (just search in playstore), what it will do is just turn the screen off whenever the sensor is blocked, it's that small hole beside the from camera. 

The observation is, as soon as you notice the battery drain, checked the reported battery % and while the proximity service is running, flip the phone and place it on a surface face down.. Wait for like a minute or two and check the battery % then have the screen on for like 5 seconds and you might see that the % drops 1/2%. Do place the phone face down again on the surface and leave it for a minute or two again. Now what have you seen?

The screen seems to be the culprit here, but can you say it's a hardware issue when the screen is responsive with taps? 

One bonus thing, try to slide the brightness level to 100%, did you encounter freeze/lock-up upon getting the slider to 80% and the phone is no longer responding to your taps? Don't worry, as soon as the screen dims/turn off and you try to tap again, it will now respond so just lower the brightness level again.

If the mods/admins see this, please advise on what do you think should be done here. I'm still willing to provide information when I visit again. This is just for those who are still suffering from this phone and no option to buy a new one, yet.

Top Kudoed Authors