Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Force by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-15-2016

UK

3 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 4

different sd card issue, random dismount

2016-06-15, 20:03 PM

Hi, I have had a 62gb San disc extreme 4 card installed in my phone since I have had it ( a couple of months ), it was set as internal storage and had been working perfectly until this evening. Suddenly decided to dismount itself and now won't read at all. I am getting increasingly worried about this as all photos and videos have been stored on it, and subsequently i am now concerned that I have no access  to them and I am going to lose them, including my daughter's sports day today ( that were fine until about an hour ago, as I had e-mailed one or two to my wife ).

Any help gratefully accepted.

Options

2137 Posts

07-20-2012

United Kingdom

67 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: different sd card issue, random dismount

2016-06-16, 14:47 PM

Hey Rich101,

If the SD card is formatted as internal storage, the phone will treat it like a hard drive, meaning it will be encrypted to protect the data on it (imagine the password of your banking app stored on the phones hard drive).

Thus, it is not possible to read out the SD card outside of your phone.

What is more, the encryption key is on the phone itself. If the phone is reset to factory settings or a second SD card is formatted in this phone, the encryption key for the first SD card is lost. 

There is unfortunately really no way to access the data on your SD card if your phone does not read it anymore, even if you wanted to hack it – with AES256 encryption its on the safer side.

Sorry to  be the harbinger of bad news here Rich.

Cheers,

Nicole

Options

3 Posts

06-15-2016

UK

3 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-06-16, 21:28 PM

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. I had suspected as much, was just holding out a vain thread of hope. 

Will ensure that the next card is mounted as external. Shame as it is a useful function, but not worth the risk until the issue is resolved.

Appreciate the help.

Rich.

Options

1 Posts

12-09-2016

United States of America

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-12-09, 21:44 PM

Mine does it all the time and I just power off my phone and power it back on then the SD card is re-mounted.

This is a pain but I don't know how to fix the random dismount.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms