11-05-2017

CA

11 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 1 of 13

After Moto X Play Upgrade to Nougat reboots to "no command" error

2017-11-05, 5:38 AM

I got the notification that the upgrade to Android 7 was ready to download and install, so I went for it ... I plugged the phone in and started the download - no problem. Then I began the install -- the progress bar eventually (5-7 minutes?) got to the end, and finished with the message "error". It then rebooted and ended with a picture of a dead android, flat on its back, with a door open and a red triangle with "!" in the middle, accompanied by the message "no command". After 30 seconds or so, it began the reboot cycle again, ending with the dead android. And again. And again. I unplugged the phone, but of course, with a full charge on a non-removable battery, it did this all night long until the battery finally died.

Has anyone else encountered this, or am I the lucky guinea pig?  My wife's identical phone is constantly receiving the message that the new version is ready to download and install, but the only options she has is "Maybe Later" and "Yes, I'm in". There is no "Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin" option to keep the notification from coming back. She is now irritated almost every time she takes out her phone.

I ended up buying a new phone. I am not impressed!

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: After Moto X Play Upgrade to Nougat reboots to "no command" error

2017-11-07, 20:46 PM

wrote:

I got the notification that the upgrade to Android 7 was ready to download and install, so I went for it ... I plugged the phone in and started the download - no problem. Then I began the install -- the progress bar eventually (5-7 minutes?) got to the end, and finished with the message "error". It then rebooted and ended with a picture of a dead android, flat on its back, with a door open and a red triangle with "!" in the middle, accompanied by the message "no command". After 30 seconds or so, it began the reboot cycle again, ending with the dead android. And again. And again. I unplugged the phone, but of course, with a full charge on a non-removable battery, it did this all night long until the battery finally died.

Has anyone else encountered this, or am I the lucky guinea pig?  My wife's identical phone is constantly receiving the message that the new version is ready to download and install, but the only options she has is "Maybe Later" and "Yes, I'm in". There is no "Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin" option to keep the notification from coming back. She is now irritated almost every time she takes out her phone.

I ended up buying a new phone. I am not impressed!

Hi ALAN500

If you encounter the "No Command", you can press and hold the Power button, press the Volume Up button once and then release the Power button. Use the Volume buttons to scroll to Wipe Cache Partition and press the Power button to select it. If an additional confirmation screen appears, use the Volume buttons to scroll to Yes and the Power button to select it. Once the cache wipe has completed, press the Power button to select Reboot System Now.

Prior to the notification, I would suggest proceeding with the update. In case you would decide not to update your software, sooner or later it will automatically update your device.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

5 Posts

11-05-2017

CA

11 Signins

106 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2017-11-09, 3:12 AM
Didn't help. Same result. OS is obviously corrupted. Would the factory reset option do anything useful at this point? I don't want to try any of the other options without some guidance or a tech manual. (I had no idea this power button/volume up option was even available -- Why is this a secret? Some of us have technical skills.)
Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 4 of 13

2017-11-09, 21:52 PM

wrote:
Didn't help. Same result. OS is obviously corrupted. Would the factory reset option do anything useful at this point? I don't want to try any of the other options without some guidance or a tech manual. (I had no idea this power button/volume up option was even available -- Why is this a secret? Some of us have technical skills.)

wrote:

Were you able to complete the clear cache partition? It actually is the step we suggest after an update and in case you encounter interruptions prior to updating your device. In case it has not helped, please try resetting the phone and see if it helps. - Ella

Options

5 Posts

11-05-2017

CA

11 Signins

106 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2017-11-10, 1:04 AM

I was able to clear the cache partition with no issue, then selected the reboot option from the menu. It took me back to the "no command" error message.

I had the charger on it all night long, since the battery was nearly exhausted, and it seems that the phone no longer takes a charge. The battery seems to be completely flat, and none of our chargers can wake it up. This O/S install error has resulted in a totally trashed phone. 

My wife's phone is the same model, and she is now deluged with the "Download and Install" message. Are you telling me that her phone will eventually update anyway? How can we stop it and make the "offer" go away?

Options

5 Posts

11-05-2017

CA

11 Signins

106 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2017-11-11, 8:42 AM
I found my way to the bottom of the error log, showing error 3008 just before the installation aborted. Does that explain anything?
Options

3 Posts

11-13-2017

IN

4 Signins

123 Page Views

• Views: 123
  • Message 7 of 13

2017-11-13, 17:52 PM

Manual update in nought 7.1.1

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5839 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 8 of 13

2017-11-13, 19:21 PM

wrote:

If you have an SD card, try removing that and rebooting - the sd card has interefered with first boot after update on other phones. 

As for the power button clear cache/reset recovery menu. It is not a secret. It exists on about all android phones. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5 Posts

11-05-2017

CA

11 Signins

106 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2017-11-13, 20:40 PM

There is no SD card. I even took out the SIM card and tried again. Same result every time. Is the error code 3008 meaningful?

Options

1 Posts

11-14-2017

IN

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 10 of 13

2017-11-14, 21:35 PM

I too had this problem. I have done wipe cache partition, even i have reset my phone thorugh hard reset process. But after all these when i downloaded the nougat update and started installing it, the installation process is being interrupted midway by showing error. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete