Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Play
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-09-2016

IN

6 Signins

69 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎12-09-2016
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 69
  • Message 1 of 10

Moto X Play screen does not light up

2016-12-09, 21:37 PM

Hi,

I have a Moto X Play 32 GB Motorola smartphone. I had been using it for more than 8 months and it worked fine until two weeks back.

 

The screen does not light up at all, even though the phone is actually "ON" and is responding. First time when I noticed that the screen is not lighting up I thought something is wrong. Then all of a sudden the screen lighted up. This kept on going for a few days. The screen keep lighting up on and off. Now since last two weeks the screen has not come up at all. Strangely, the phone is working. Because we can experience the phone vibration whenever there is a call or a text message or any other notifications (like WhatsApp messages, Facebook posts notification etc). The moment phone is in a home Wifi network and gets connected to internet, it starts beeping with notifications. In fact, if I call on my number from another number the phone rings, vibrates. Only the problem is with the screen. The screen does not light up. For sure, the screen was responding perfectly the last time when I saw that screen lighting up. Is there a known solution to this problem ? Eventually, if it doesn't work then I will have to visit the service center. But meanwhile, is there a way to diagnose or a way to find out what is wrong ? Any known method that can be followed as trial before visiting the service center ?

Reply
Options

5405 Posts

07-12-2014

US

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

  • Posts: 5405
  • Registered: ‎07-12-2014
  • Location: US
  • Views: 79600
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2016-12-09, 22:08 PM

wrote:

Hi,

I have a Moto X Play 32 GB Motorola smartphone. I had been using it for more than 8 months and it worked fine until two weeks back.

 

The screen does not light up at all, even though the phone is actually "ON" and is responding. First time when I noticed that the screen is not lighting up I thought something is wrong. Then all of a sudden the screen lighted up. This kept on going for a few days. The screen keep lighting up on and off. Now since last two weeks the screen has not come up at all. Strangely, the phone is working. Because we can experience the phone vibration whenever there is a call or a text message or any other notifications (like WhatsApp messages, Facebook posts notification etc). The moment phone is in a home Wifi network and gets connected to internet, it starts beeping with notifications. In fact, if I call on my number from another number the phone rings, vibrates. Only the problem is with the screen. The screen does not light up. For sure, the screen was responding perfectly the last time when I saw that screen lighting up. Is there a known solution to this problem ? Eventually, if it doesn't work then I will have to visit the service center. But meanwhile, is there a way to diagnose or a way to find out what is wrong ? Any known method that can be followed as trial before visiting the service center ?


Hello amanmotoxplay,

 

This situation is really unwelcome. It does sound like the phone needs repair. You may try to do an external factory reset to see if it resolves the issue. If unsuccessful, we recommend that you contact your local Motorola support for your repair options.

 

External factory reset steps can be found here for your reference.

 

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Reply
Options

3 Posts

12-09-2016

IN

6 Signins

69 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎12-09-2016
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 69
  • Message 3 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2016-12-10, 21:20 PM

Thank you for your prompt response.

 

I have got a few more queries - 

 

1. Is there a desktop application that I can install and then connect my Moto X device to the PC which will eventually help me to either format my device or earse all the data from my device (like all the accounts, photos, viedoes etc) ? I googled around and found the Motorola Device Manager but after downloading it and starting it - it doesn't really connect to the device rather it simply looks for updates to the Desktop Motorola Device Manager app and when it finds nothing it gives me a message like - "no updates found" and then exits. Anything that I can do to erase the data from my phone before I submit it to the service center ? Secondly, I tried using my google account via my mailbox to look for any such options but nothing really helped. I could not even sign-out from my google account on my device.

 

2. Today, while struggling with my phone I noticed a very very dim display when I stepped out in the sunlight. But that display was not enough to really understand anything on the screen. The display on the screen was so weak and dim that you can only make it out under the daylight. This somehow gives me an indication that there is something wrong with the screen display though I remember that the last time the screen came up it was working perfectly with the expected birghtness and contrast etc.

Reply
Options

3 Posts

12-09-2016

IN

6 Signins

69 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎12-09-2016
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 69
  • Message 4 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2016-12-12, 8:18 AM

Hi,

 

After some more research and trial, I figured out that the screen of my Moto X Play is responding perfectly as it used to before its brightneess fell to almost like a black screen.

 

I noticed that under the sunlight when you strain your eyes to see something on the screen, you indeed are able to see what's going on - on the screen. It is just that the brightness level has dropped to almost black.

 

Can someone please provide their expert opinion here on the possible issue (either a hardware or software) or the most probable causes here ? Most probably, it appears to be a hardware issue. In case, it demands a replacement of the screen then it is going to cost almost 60-70% of the actual price of the phone. Or there could be some other reason for this black screen since under sunlight I am able to see the contents on the screen though with a lot of strain to the eyes.

Reply
Options

3450 Posts

10-05-2016

PH

529 Signins

43762 Page Views

  • Posts: 3450
  • Registered: ‎10-05-2016
  • Location: PH
  • Views: 43762
  • Message 5 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2016-12-12, 13:57 PM

wrote:

Hi,

 

After some more research and trial, I figured out that the screen of my Moto X Play is responding perfectly as it used to before its brightneess fell to almost like a black screen.

 

I noticed that under the sunlight when you strain your eyes to see something on the screen, you indeed are able to see what's going on - on the screen. It is just that the brightness level has dropped to almost black.

 

Can someone please provide their expert opinion here on the possible issue (either a hardware or software) or the most probable causes here ? Most probably, it appears to be a hardware issue. In case, it demands a replacement of the screen then it is going to cost almost 60-70% of the actual price of the phone. Or there could be some other reason for this black screen since under sunlight I am able to see the contents on the screen though with a lot of strain to the eyes.


Hi amanmotoxplay,

 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If it happens that you already did a factory reset, we suggest to bring it to a service center for repair to have it fixed.

 

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Reply
Options

2 Posts

08-23-2017

US

1 Signins

50 Page Views

  • Posts: 2
  • Registered: ‎08-23-2017
  • Location: US
  • Views: 50
  • Message 6 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2017-08-23, 6:05 AM

I am having same problem. can you please provide me your contact details or can you help me @**********

 

Edited for Privacy: We don't advise posting your personal information publicly. You may update your Forums profile with this information instead.  -JM

Reply
Options

2 Posts

08-23-2017

US

1 Signins

50 Page Views

  • Posts: 2
  • Registered: ‎08-23-2017
  • Location: US
  • Views: 50
  • Message 7 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2017-08-23, 7:18 AM
Reply
Options

5405 Posts

07-12-2014

US

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

  • Posts: 5405
  • Registered: ‎07-12-2014
  • Location: US
  • Views: 79600
  • Message 8 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2017-08-23, 17:52 PM

wrote:

@I am having same problem. can you please provide me your contact details or can you help me @**********

 

Edited for Privacy: We don't advise posting your personal information publicly. You may update your Forums profile with this information instead.  -JM


Have you tried doing factory data reset?

 

-JM

Reply
Options

1 Posts

08-11-2018

IN

1 Signins

14 Page Views

  • Posts: 1
  • Registered: ‎08-11-2018
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 14
  • Message 9 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2018-08-11, 9:39 AM

I also face same proble in my Moto x play 32 Gb. No one able provide the solution of this problem. Even i am unable to recover my phone or memory card data which is very important for me me because my memory card was count in internal memory. Please help me if anyone has solution. Otherwise please tell me how can i recover data from my memory card.

 

Reply
Options

5405 Posts

07-12-2014

US

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

  • Posts: 5405
  • Registered: ‎07-12-2014
  • Location: US
  • Views: 79600
  • Message 10 of 10

Re: Moto X Play screen does not light up

2018-08-14, 17:48 PM

 wrote:

I also face same proble in my Moto x play 32 Gb. No one able provide the solution of this problem. Even i am unable to recover my phone or memory card data which is very important for me me because my memory card was count in internal memory. Please help me if anyone has solution. Otherwise please tell me how can i recover data from my memory card.

 


It is best to reach out to a service center near you. Here's the link to locate the one nearest you: http://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/mcp/trackrepair2

 

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete