Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrDomMoto
What's DOS?
Views: 3,099
Message 1 of 8

SD Card Damaged, when it isn't!

I've just bought a Moto X Play ( UK ) which comes pre-installed with Lollipop from carphone warehouse, I have Samsung 64 GB SD Card Class 10 which is official SD card, been using it on my old S4 phone & computer without issue  However when used on my Moto and reboot the phone I get a message saying the SD Card is damaged, and I can't access anything.

If I put the card into my computer or old S4, the card is fine and can be read no issues. i've been playing around with it and what i've noticed is that I think I can now replicate this problem at will and just wondered if any others are noticing this problem.

To replicate the problem:

1. Move an App from internal to SD Card.

2. Reboot the phone, the phone will say the "SD Card is damaged, try re-formatting it"  ( don't do it! )

To resolve the corruption, I just took the SD Card out of my moto put it into either my Samsung S4 or a PC, go to the SD Card and clear down the contents of the "Android" folder sitting in the root of the card.

Put the card back into the Moto on startup, the phone is happy with the SD card!, no corruption and all files ( Music, Video, Images etc ) work without issue on the moto.

Repeat the steps again and bang the card goes corrupt again!, very annoying.

It appears to me that there is a bug in the moto SD card implementation which needs addressing as I can't put apps onto SD card and re-start my phone without this problem arising.

I've tried replicating this fault with another memory card and get the same problem

Can anyone else confirm if they are having the same problem?, if you aren't could you tell me what brand of memory card you are using, and the exact software version you are on?, when I do a software update it says I have the latest version.

My Phone Version is:

Android version: Android 5.1.1

Hardare SKU : XT1562

Build Number: LPD23.118-10

arpan46
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,093
Message 2 of 8

Re: SD Card Damaged, when it isn't!

I have never faced such trouble, have you recently installed any application (such as file browser or any and only install apps from trusted sources such as play store) then try to uninstall that.

Have you tried the safe mode? follow the video to do so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjlYJYap8dc

If still the problem is not solved I would suggest you to copy all the data from your MicroSD and then format it, then insert it on your phone, report if solved.

Regards, Arpan
MrDomMoto
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the response, I didn't install any dodgy apps on the device, however I have solved the problem.

What I did was to buy a new memory card from Curry's, won't buy an SD card off places like amazon/ebay due to the number of fakes knocking around on there.

I got a 64 GB PNY Class 10 memory card ( £17.99 ) , plugged it into the phone ,it was instantly recognised, I decided to Erase card using the Menu option for good measure before moving apps and data onto it, once this was done  everything is working fine so far ( 3 days and counting ), have re-booted the phone several times and haven't seen that message about damaged sd card.

I think probably re-formatting the existing Samsung memory card in the computer would probably do the trick as well. however I've got a new use for that memory card as it's going to be used in the car sat nav instead.

It's a strange issue but i'm glad it's solved, Moto support were absolutely awful when I raised this issue with them they were asking me if the phone had liquid damage and said that it needed to be sent back to Moto for repair.

MrDomMoto
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 8

arpan46 said:

I have never faced such trouble, have you recently installed any application (such as file browser or any and only install apps from trusted sources such as play store) then try to uninstall that.

Have you tried the safe mode? follow the video to do so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjlYJYap8dc

If still the problem is not solved I would suggest you to copy all the data from your MicroSD and then format it, then insert it on your phone, report if solved.

View original

Just to mention I tried booting into safe mode, that did absolutely nothing it still showed the SD card was damaged.

Think the solution to this problem is either buy a new memory card or reformat existing card in the computer, I was in the market for a new card anyway Smiley Happy

MrDomMoto
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 8

arpan46 said:

View original

Just to say, this response received on this community board  is a much better response than I have received from Moto Customer Service Online Chat Support, so thanks.

arpan46
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 6 of 8

MrDomMoto said:

Just to say, this response received on this community board  is a much better response than I have received from Moto Customer Service Online Chat Support, so thanks.

View original

I am glad Smiley Happy

Regards, Arpan
sundarS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 106
Message 7 of 8

@arpan46 wrote:

Yes, the first thing to consider is to back up the files in the SD card. Because once the SD card is damaged, you can only spend more money to buy data recovery tools, and then recover files from the corrupted SD card like this.

Highlighted
sundarS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 68
Message 8 of 8

@sundarS wrote:

@arpan46 wrote:

Yes, the first thing to consider is to back up the files in the SD card. Because once the SD card is damaged, you can only spend more money to buy data recovery tools, and then recover files from the corrupted SD card like this.

hope you doing well.