10-02-2015

United States

34 Signins

492 Page Views

• Views: 492
  • Message 1 of 2154

Android (7.0) Nougat Update for Moto X Pure/Style

2016-08-22, 18:15 PM

Nexus Devices are getting Nougat starting today.

Android 7.0 Nougat is rolling out to Nexus devices starting today

Is working under way, to get this to Moto X Pure/Style soon?

Options

114 Posts

02-07-2014

United States of America

431 Signins

8788 Page Views

• Views: 8788
  • Message 2 of 2154

Re: Android (7.0) Nougat Update for Moto X Pure/Style

2016-08-22, 18:58 PM

This question always gets asked, and the answer is always the same as it was the last time.  Lenovo/Motorola does not publicly announce schedules for software updates in advance.  When the rollout starts, they will announce it. 

Everyone expects that Lenovo/Motorola will update the 2015 Moto X Style (Pure Edition in the USA) to Android Nougat.  We just don't know when it will happen. 

If you join the Motorola Feedback Network, you might get invited to take part in a Test Drive or a Soak Test of new software.  (But per the rules that govern those tests, the particpants are not permitted to discuss them publicly.) 

Options

192 Posts

10-06-2015

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

144 Signins

1354 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1354
  • Message 3 of 2154

2016-08-23, 19:01 PM
Sony have already announced which devices will get nougat, will see how fast they are to roll out though. They did run a preview build on the z3 however. Over to you, Moto :)
Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 4 of 2154

2016-08-23, 22:12 PM

wrote:
Sony have already announced which devices will get nougat, will see how fast they are to roll out though. They did run a preview build on the z3 however. Over to you, Moto :)

Please see the previous comment. You won't get Moto to say anything about updates. They will update their Software Update page, but that is usually as far as they go. It isn't always up to date, either.

You may get a rogue employee that will say, but they are usually the CEO or top dogs. They have the right to do that if they so choose. All other employees are under an NDA. They aren't going to lose their job to tell us when or if we are going to get updates.

I am sure the Pure will get it, but it is when is the question. No guarantees as I don't have any insider knowledge. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

3 Posts

08-08-2014

United States of America

5 Signins

143 Page Views

• Views: 143
  • Message 5 of 2154

2016-08-24, 17:06 PM

This shouldn't have to be a question however. The phone is, as of right now, less than 1 year old. It was the flagship device. Whether Lenovo likes it or not, they will lose plenty of goodwill if the device doesn't get Nougat within a reasonable timeframe.

I can safely assure you this will be my last Motorola phone if they don't follow through. I put up with it during the Sanjay Jha era with the Atrix and I quickly left for the Galaxy Nexus. The only reason I returned was because the 1st Generation Moto X was a very neat device and its updates were rather swift. I had hoped Lenovo would keep this up for the Moto X Pure Edition, but I feel like I've returned to the days of waiting for the Atrix's 4.0 update, only for it to be cancelled. But at least the transparency was there.

I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears however, seeing as the CEOs and such don't care and even those who do care are muted by NDAs (And rightfully so. I don't expect anyone to risk their livelihood just to tell me if my phone's getting an update or not).

But this policy of silence is garbage and I'm not going to buy a new phone just for an updated OS. Heck, I kind of can't even if I wanted to because of the Moto Z's wonderful Verizon lock at the moment.

But I digress, I'm rambling and cluttering. My apologies.

Options

18 Posts

08-17-2016

Brazil

156 Signins

1320 Page Views

• Views: 1320
  • Message 6 of 2154

2016-08-24, 17:38 PM
It is as joelbon told, there will be no announcement about it from Lenovo part.
Near stock and fast upgrade was the reasons i opted for a Moto X Style, and i like it very much, I can only hope Lenovo keeps that line of thinking for the Nougat update.
Options

1270 Posts

11-15-2013

United States of America

440 Signins

4527 Page Views

• Views: 4527
  • Message 7 of 2154

2016-08-24, 18:28 PM

Moto should increase its communication to and with its customers.  Nearly all companies have social media accounts where they keep users up-to-date about various things that are going on.  I feel bad for Droid Turbo owners, though I do feel that Verizon does it intentionally, as the very similar (though not the same) 2014 MXPE was updated quite a while ago.

Silence is no longer a proper business tactic in today's world.  Consumers are more interested, invested, and vastly more engaged with companies and their products and services.  Valve, for example, went silent for 5 days after issues with their system caused Steam users to see information of other people's accounts while logged into their own.  They were ripped apart online (social media, Reddit, online sites/journalists) for that leisurely response time.  People understandably felt the same way with the 2015 MXPE's VoLTE issues and the lack of any official communication for months.

Anyway, customers expect more dialogue from companies.  Moto needs to adapt to that.  At this point, they only need to say which devices will be updated and keep communities updated on progress (this, in turn, would actually reduce information leaks from MFN).  David Schuster's posts on G+ were informative, but were always followed by long periods of complete silence and were nowhere to be found on any of Moto sites for casual browsers looking for news.

Embed your social media feeds on the main site, and talk to your customers.  It helps more than you know.

Options

114 Posts

02-07-2014

United States of America

431 Signins

8788 Page Views

• Views: 8788
  • Message 8 of 2154

2016-08-24, 19:01 PM

@jason_motox, I completely agree with your point.  Lenovo/Moto would be able to improve its standing tremendously, with both longtime loyalists and newcomers, if they would be more forthcoming about which devices are on a path to be updated.  Most of us understand that software development is hard, and that it is too much to expect firm commitments to specific release schedules.  But it would help a lot to have a well-known official source where we could look for news about what is in the pipeline. 

To your point about David Schuster's Google+ feed (https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts, I have it bookmarked and I check it almost every day.  Sadly, as of today, the most recent entry is now four months old (dated April 26, 2016). 

Options

192 Posts

10-06-2015

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

144 Signins

1354 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1354
  • Message 9 of 2154

2016-08-25, 9:08 AM

Couldn't agree with you more Jason. Everyone really expects the style/pure to get nougat, frankly it would be a massive shock if it didn't. We also know that Moto don't provide timetables, again that's fine we understand that. But a LITTLE bit of communication, rather than nothing at all, would go a long way. Just a quick blog post to say these devices will get the update, rolling out as soon as we can etc etc would be fine.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 10 of 2154

2016-08-25, 9:54 AM

wrote:

This shouldn't have to be a question however. The phone is, as of right now, less than 1 year old. It was the flagship device. Whether Lenovo likes it or not, they will lose plenty of goodwill if the device doesn't get Nougat within a reasonable timeframe.

I can safely assure you this will be my last Motorola phone if they don't follow through. I put up with it during the Sanjay Jha era with the Atrix and I quickly left for the Galaxy Nexus. The only reason I returned was because the 1st Generation Moto X was a very neat device and its updates were rather swift. I had hoped Lenovo would keep this up for the Moto X Pure Edition, but I feel like I've returned to the days of waiting for the Atrix's 4.0 update, only for it to be cancelled. But at least the transparency was there.

I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears however, seeing as the CEOs and such don't care and even those who do care are muted by NDAs (And rightfully so. I don't expect anyone to risk their livelihood just to tell me if my phone's getting an update or not).

But this policy of silence is garbage and I'm not going to buy a new phone just for an updated OS. Heck, I kind of can't even if I wanted to because of the Moto Z's wonderful Verizon lock at the moment.

But I digress, I'm rambling and cluttering. My apologies.

That really didn't sound like rambling, but you are right that it is possible that it falls on deaf ears. These forums were designed to be owner help owner format. Employees do read comments in the forum, but they only read limited comments. Sometime only when they are pointed in the direction of a problem. 

If you want to guarantee that they hear you then you need to post on their facebook page or call them and let them hear you. They may never see the comments you post here.

You are definitely free to express your frustrations and vent here if you choose. Just keep in mind that an employee may never see it. No apologies needed. :smileywink:

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms