Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Pure / Moto X Style
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

06-01-2017

United States of America

78 Signins

307 Page Views

• Views: 307
  • Message 1581 of 2154

Re: Android (7.0) Nougat Update for Moto X Pure/Style

2017-10-15, 21:45 PM

Don't worry, it doesn't change anything plus you will most likely update over WiFi. So  give it a try and let everyone know if it worked for you.

I still find the whole Sprint effect to be strange as most MXPE are bought direct from Moto itself. Must just be part of a staged rool out and those phones sold by Sprint are getting updates first. Hope I'm right as my phone still works and paying $800 for a new one is not in my near future. I personally think people should be saving there money and be happy with what works. So many people that can't afford a new phone find ways to buy them anyways and wonder why they never have any money saved for things that really matter in life.  Poor money management just to stay up to date with the latest craze. 

Options

285 Posts

12-22-2015

United States of America

608 Signins

6737 Page Views

• Views: 6737
  • Message 1582 of 2154

2017-10-15, 23:18 PM

wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound that way I just don't understand how to do it, I'm so new to all this. I don't understand how you can put another SIM in without having to reset your whole phone again, do you have to have all your information transferred if I use my sons sprint SIM will it mess up his phone? Sounds complicated. Lol ? 

SIM's only control your phone number, SMS/MMS, and mobile data connection, and a few settings related specifically to that. In most unlocked phone, like this one, you can change SIMs on a whim and as soon as the phone detects it it just connects to that network. It has nothing to do with any other accounts or files on your phone in any way.

In my last job we worked developing mobile applications, and our "test bed" had about 20 different phones with nearly as many activated SIMs across 5 or 6 different carriers. In my MXPE I literally cycled them all though, get connected to the mobile network, make some test calls/texts and verify mobile data, then switch to another one, and so on until I went back my personal SIM... All without rebooting or effecting any information or applications on the phone. 

It is safe and quite simple... in the rest of the world this is a common occurance for users, to switch SIMs, and many phones even support 2 SIMs simultaneously, but in the US our carriers have us brainwashed, or forced into certain things with their locked devices (which is nearly unheard of in the rest of the world, even illegal in a lot of it). 

You can safely just install an active or inactive Spring SIM in your device, or one of it's MVNO's (resellers like Boost or Virgin Mobile), and reboot, then check for the update, it should be offered to you... accept and download it and apply, then swap your original SIM back in. Some users have noted that once you tap the "I'm In" button, you can even just jump on WiFi and swap your original SIM back in, but I would probably leave the temp one in for a short time until it completes, just in case. 

Options

4 Posts

11-12-2014

United States

5 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 1583 of 2154

2017-10-15, 23:49 PM

I went to Target Friday and bought the Boost Mobile Sim Kit.  Popped in the SIM and checked for the update and it said it was available.  Very Simple.  Once the Update was done, I popped in my Verizon SIM and went on my merry way.

Options

52 Posts

05-18-2016

United States of America

112 Signins

612 Page Views

• Views: 612
  • Message 1584 of 2154

2017-10-16, 0:03 AM

Seems like an unreasonable amount of effort just to get an update on an unlocked device that is not supposed to be tied to carrrier.  Very poor showing from Lenovo.

Like most have said already, I will not buy anymore products from Lenovo.  They had so many opportunities to do better, but they clearly showed how little they care for the customers.  Especially, long term customers who deserve better.

Options

3 Posts

10-06-2017

United States of America

12 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 1585 of 2154

2017-10-16, 1:03 AM

wrote:

wrote:

Thank you, crws.  Crystallet, as I said, it comes with at least 3 years of OS and security updates.  

Le'Moto will need to up their game unless they want to become the official branded phone of Cricket.

But hey, Cricket is on the Sprint network, I guess they would be on Nougat! Ha!

All appearances are Le'Moto marketuers aiming for the lowest dollar denominator.

The e4 is a great value, who would care what OS you are guaranteed for update to when you're only out $100? Disposable.

Cricket is on the AT&T network now.  They were on Sprint's network back when they were AIO Wireless, but have transitioned to AT&T's since AT&T acquired them.

Options

2 Posts

10-14-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 1586 of 2154

2017-10-16, 1:24 AM

wrote:

wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound that way I just don't understand how to do it, I'm so new to all this. I don't understand how you can put another SIM in without having to reset your whole phone again, do you have to have all your information transferred if I use my sons sprint SIM will it mess up his phone? Sounds complicated. Lol ? 

SIM's only control your phone number, SMS/MMS, and mobile data connection, and a few settings related specifically to that. In most unlocked phone, like this one, you can change SIMs on a whim and as soon as the phone detects it it just connects to that network. It has nothing to do with any other accounts or files on your phone in any way.

In my case when I put the Sprint sim in my phone, I received multiple messages from Google to verify my "new" phone number as it is associated with my account.  When I put my AT&T sim back in, I again received more messages from Google to verify my "new new" phone number.  In both cases I ignored the messages.  As I do a lot of sim switching overseas I am comfortable with the process and I agree with your description.  Just wanted to add that folks should not be alarmed if they see similar messages.

SS

Options

28 Posts

08-28-2013

United States of America

293 Signins

1376 Page Views

• Views: 1376
  • Message 1587 of 2154

2017-10-16, 1:45 AM

While eating Hawaiian food with a friend, I discovered that she is on Sprint. I'm now downloading the update with her sim card installed. 

Options

24 Posts

11-13-2015

United States of America

8 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 1588 of 2154

2017-10-16, 13:35 PM

With the nougat update, I've noticed that moto gestures, like turning on the camera and flash light, have responded faster. I'm assuming this has to do with latest security build. Even my bluetooth connectivity has been improved. I'm able to see now what track I'm on in my car and my car connects without delay.

Options

53 Posts

09-09-2015

United States of America

115 Signins

1042 Page Views

• Views: 1042
  • Message 1589 of 2154

2017-10-16, 13:43 PM
There are 155 pages of what's going on with the update
Options

7 Posts

08-07-2017

Canada

23 Signins

153 Page Views

• Views: 153
  • Message 1590 of 2154

2017-10-16, 14:16 PM

Or what's NOT going on as the case may be.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms