Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Pure / Moto X Style
All Forum Topics
Options

1941 Posts

08-11-2010

United States of America

863 Signins

14025 Page Views

• Views: 14025
  • Message 1791 of 2154

Re: Android (7.0) Nougat Update for Moto X Pure/Style

2017-11-03, 1:03 AM

wrote:

That's crazy, I bought my MOTO X Pure from Motorola but I use it on T-Mobile. Do you really think T-Mobile ever built an application for the MOTO X Pure. Not very likely nor is it likely that TMO will be working on any kind of 7.0 update since they "most likely" did not ever do one before so if you are an AT&T or TMO customer have fun waiting. ........ 

............I still like to look at this post from time to time just to see if my decision was right and to see if people on TMO or AT&T ever get the update

I've had the Gen 1 Moto X and the Gen 2 Moto X, both unlocked, purchased directly from Motorola and both running perfectly on T-Mobile.  Both of those phones received OTA Android OS updates from Motorola during the time that I had them, before having to replace the second with my current MXPE because I was dumb enough to go swimming with my Gen 2 in my bathing suit pocket.

I'm not saying that the Sprint thing was wrong for those who were impatient.  But yes, I believe that people should be waiting, because the promised Motorola update will surely arrive, even though its long overdue.

As you've experienced, Nougat is nice, but far from a game changer over Marshmallow.

Options

8 Posts

10-28-2017

United States of America

21 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1792 of 2154

2017-11-03, 1:06 AM

I have a feeling that it goes a little more like this:

Motorola/Lenovo has finally released Nougat (yeah, a year after it came out, but whatcha gonna do) and it has been released to the carriers for OTA Update at the carrier's discretion.

Sprint, eager to please their customer base and gain as many subscribers as possible, approved the update for devices connected with a Sprint SIM card.

The timeline for other carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, ETC) is unknown at this time.

---

Perhaps there's a timeline that we don't know about.. where if the carrier doesn't reject the update within a certain time period it will automatically float downhill to those other carriers.  I don't think so, though - Verizon barely recognizes that the XT1575 exists, for example, so I really don't forsee them spending a lot of time to test and approve an OTA for a carrier agnostic device they haven't ever really supported.

That being said, I don't see many (any, at least not recently?) reports of phones with custom ROMs being blacklisted by any carriers.  I would imagine that in the case of a problem or issue the carrier would be of just as much help after the fact as before (0%) but I wouldn't see that as a barrier to update personally.  I'm still patiently waiting, but I forsee my phone with LineageOS Oreo before it gets a trickle-down Nougat through Verizon.

Options

603 Posts

07-06-2010

United States of America

1317 Signins

18729 Page Views

• Views: 18729
  • Message 1793 of 2154

2017-11-03, 1:21 AM

That's plausible, but my MXPE is a Motocare replacement that's never seen a SIM - if the only thing holding the OTA upgrade up were intransigent carriers, then it'd update over WiFi along with the Sprint SIM units.  Got no pet theories here - but it IS an odd rollout.

Options

7 Posts

05-15-2017

United States of America

51 Signins

277 Page Views

• Views: 277
  • Message 1794 of 2154

2017-11-03, 1:35 AM

So how did marshmallow roll out in the past?  I'm pretty sure all MXPEs got that update at approximately the same time.   Was that an update direct from Motorola or was it through the carriers?  It seems to me like Moto put it out, and if so, why change it?   I could be wrong.  Does anyone know? 

Options

15 Posts

05-12-2016

United States of America

72 Signins

529 Page Views

• Views: 529
  • Message 1795 of 2154

2017-11-03, 5:35 AM

Finished the install with some hick ups after using Sprint SIM.  Most issues with Play Store taking FOREVER to download and install apps. Spent 45 minutes with 2 levels of Google support and basic recommendation was to contact Motorola.  Asked if Motorola could change the Google apps (I couldn't uninstall them?) and after kicking me up they gave some things to try before full reset.   Spent couple of hours messing around then finally went,  "Screw it, in for a penny, in for a pound."

Full data reset didn't take that long and updates went fast. Only thing that had to be done was ask Verizon (2nd level) to activate advanced calling feature and so far everything is great.  Still issues with repaired charging port.

Should receive Moto X 4 from Amazon tomorrow so we'll see how it goes 

Options

1270 Posts

11-15-2013

United States of America

440 Signins

4527 Page Views

• Views: 4527
  • Message 1796 of 2154

2017-11-03, 12:34 PM

wrote:

That's crazy, I bought my MOTO X Pure from Motorola but I use it on T-Mobile. Do you really think T-Mobile ever built an application for the MOTO X Pure. Not very likely nor is it likely that TMO will be working on any kind of 7.0 update since they "most likely" did not ever do one before so if you are an AT&T or TMO customer have fun waiting. I do however remember that when I purchased my phone from MOTO that I was asked what carrier I use because they wanted to send me a sim for that carrier (I am assuming this is the reason)

I am thinking that for some dumb reason MOTO only offered it to Sprint because they sold there phones and thats why only Sprint Sims work. If Moto was a respectable company they would just have released it for everyone all at once and this forum would have only been a few pages.

I did a speed test after installing the update using a Sprint Sim and it was Still LTE was respectable. T-Mobiles typical LTE range is up to 34 Mbps and I am getting 29-32 which is pretty good for the MPE modem. Upload speed wat 6-8Mbps with TMO stating 4-21 Mbps so not so great but again, not sure how limited the modem is on the phone. When I connect to WiFi I get 10Mbps which is same I get on my home computer so who knows. 

What I can tell you is that my Bluetooth has never worked better. Battery life is still about the same even with DOZE Battery optimizer turned on.

If my phone starts getting worse then I will direct it to its final resting place and get something new but for now I am happy with my choice not to wait and to install with the Sprint Sim. If other people have had a negative experience with the Sprint update please post your history as mine is good.

I still like to look at this post from time to time just to see if my decision was right and to see if people on TMO or AT&T ever get the update

O-

I think you're over-analyzing the situation.  Since the MXPE is a carrier agnostic phone, carriers don't have too much say in Motorola's software build.  For phones like the Moto Z2 that have carrier features (Wifi calling, RCS messaging, etc.), they'll work with carriers to ensure things work (and usually have a carrier specific build).  MXPE is a retail US phone (retus), so its software build is universal to all carriers.  Carriers won't blacklist you for software on your phone, which is why there are tons of people running custom software out there.

Pushing Nougat to Republic and Sprint (2 CDMA carriers) is probably a prelude to a wider rollout, if no serious issues are found (like soft bricking when full-disk encryption is enabled or something).

Anyway, my iPhone X arrives today.  Trying something new.  Not sure if I'll like it, but we'll see.

Options

1 Posts

11-03-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 1797 of 2154

2017-11-03, 14:21 PM

Do you think this could be the case for tmobile customers as well. I have not received any notification whatsoever regarding any update. :(

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 1798 of 2154

2017-11-03, 14:24 PM

wrote:

Do you think this could be the case for tmobile customers as well. I have not received any notification whatsoever regarding any update. :(

The update has only been pushed to phones with a Sprint SIM card. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

59 Posts

10-16-2014

United States of America

32 Signins

164 Page Views

• Views: 164
  • Message 1799 of 2154

2017-11-03, 14:27 PM

Maybe xmas day all us ATT, VZ, TMO people will wake up to N via OTA.

My self imposed deadline has passed so this is my last Moto phone ever.  Funny that on Tues got an email the X4 was available, it prolly would of been my next phone.

Interesting thought how Google bought Moto then ditched it but now is in bed with HTC.  Yes it was mostly for patents, but why ditch the hardware, perhaps its not all Lenovos messup, perhaps Moto was already on path downwards.

Also will be interesting how N is on Pure in 1-2 months as it didnt start hosing G4s till 1-2 months later.

Options

2 Posts

11-03-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 1800 of 2154

2017-11-03, 17:00 PM

Forget about Moto updating the phone.  Here's a link on how to install it manually:

<link removed - please review forum rules regarding side loading>

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms