Options

329 Posts

06-02-2010

United States

16 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 1 of 6

Bye Bye Moto! (Unlocked Z is GSM only? Say it ain't so!)

2016-06-09, 23:04 PM

I've been a Moto customer since the Original Droid.

Now I read that the unlocked Moto Z, after the Verizon exclusivity runs its course, will only run on GSM networks. I wonder how long I'll be able to hold on to my MXP. I haven't bought a phone from VZW in years, and I don't plan on doing so anytime soon. I was so looking forward to availing myself of the improved camera, Moto Mods and the shatterproof screen. :mansad:

So that's at least 3 users in my household, that will no longer be Motorola customers (never mind other family and friends that I often steered Motorola's way -- all but a few are VZW customers). I know that's not even a blip in terms of overall sales, but that is a lot of word-of-mouth and customer loyalty walking away.

Options

156 Posts

09-30-2013

North Carolina

47 Signins

1001 Page Views

• Views: 1001
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Bye Bye Moto! (Unlocked Z is GSM only? Say it ain't so!)

2016-06-09, 23:28 PM

I feel the same way. It seems like they went backwards. The Moto X Pure Edition was compatible with all US carriers but the Moto Z won't be? What gives? Now if we want to get this phone we have to get the Droid Edition. I don't want a  DROID. I believe I may be done as well. And what do Sprint customers get? Not a thing according to Lenovo. 

{Edited by crystallet, moderator} Expressing disappointment is fine.  Disagreeing is fine.  But even implied profanity isn't.  Please see our Moto Owners' Forum Site Rules for more information.

@workMakin$
Options

329 Posts

06-02-2010

United States

16 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 3 of 6

2016-06-10, 0:33 AM

Reasons I don't want a Verizon branded phone:

Bloatware

Bloatware

Slow updates (though even my MXP hasn't been that impressive in this regard)

And did I mention...Bloatware?

Options

603 Posts

07-06-2010

US

1317 Signins

18729 Page Views

• Views: 18729
  • Message 4 of 6

2016-06-10, 12:07 PM

wrote:

Reasons I don't want a Verizon branded phone:

Bloatware

Bloatware

Slow updates (though even my MXP hasn't been that impressive in this regard)

And did I mention...Bloatware?

Ever since Android let us disable apps, the VZ bloatware hasn't bothered me that much - disable it, and I don't have to worry about it.  But I'll join the chorus - I'm interested in one of the Z's, but I'm a VZ user and simply do NOT like being tied down to a single-carrier phone.  Not mad at 'em at the moment, don't want to leave, but I don't know what the future holds and LOVE the fact that my MXPE gives me that independence.

I bought my MXPE on Day One, ahead of my "normal" replacement schedule, partially to support the carrier-agnostic option.  I have no issue with STARTING this as a Verizon exclusive - it'll boost the installed base so there'll be a viable market for the Moto Mods.  I'm just hoping the "Pure" Z will finally end up being carrier agnostic to keep a real good consumer option going.

Options

18 Posts

11-18-2013

US

25 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 5 of 6

2016-06-11, 16:46 PM

Just wanted to post the fact that Motorola/Lenovo just confirmed that the Z is a new phone brand and replacing the X brand. Which means that the X should be getting a bigger brother later this year and hopefully won't be exclusive to Verizon like the Z is. 

Post: http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-z-different-than-moto-x-697816/

Richard H Giesige
Options

235 Posts

07-25-2010

United States

17 Signins

203 Page Views

• Views: 203
  • Message 6 of 6

2016-06-16, 20:02 PM
I'm sorry, I don't see in Lenovo's statement where they say there will be a new Moto X model coming out. All it says is they are separate and Z has mods. Nowhere does Lenovo say there will be another Moto X, other than what is already out. I think Android Authority is making assumptions about what Lenovo had to say. I could be wrong, and hope I am. I would much prefer a new Moto X over the big chinned Z.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete