Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Pure / Moto X Style
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

08-03-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 21 of 31

Re: Cannot save new contacts with Moto X Pure(marshmallow update)

2016-08-03, 23:57 PM

I don't understand why there isn;t a clear fix to this. I use Outlook on my Moto g4. I disllike gmail and only have an acct becuase I'm forced to.  I don't want the phone  to synch to anything. I have all synch turned off for outlook and gmail. Still, contacts added manually or via text disapear. I don't care how wonderful Google/Gmail is as a contact manager, they have no business with my contacts if I don't want them to, yet some sort of synch to them is apparently wiping phone-added comtacts out. . I just want the phone to allow me to create and maintain a contact and phone llist. Can I just get a simple solution? My very stupid, old LG F3 did this no problem. Thanks.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 22 of 31

2016-08-04, 4:46 AM

You say that contacts are disappearing. I am wondering if you have the Contacts to display set right?

Tap Contacts>Menu>Contacts to display>Customize. Make sure that your Gmail contacts are off and All other contacts are checked.

I am not sure if there is an option for phone contacts as I don't have any phone contacts. All my contacts are Gmail contacts. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 23 of 31

2016-08-04, 9:31 AM

wrote:

I don't understand why there isn;t a clear fix to this. I use Outlook on my Moto g4. I disllike gmail and only have an acct becuase I'm forced to.  I don't want the phone  to synch to anything. I have all synch turned off for outlook and gmail. Still, contacts added manually or via text disapear. I don't care how wonderful Google/Gmail is as a contact manager, they have no business with my contacts if I don't want them to, yet some sort of synch to them is apparently wiping phone-added comtacts out. . I just want the phone to allow me to create and maintain a contact and phone llist. Can I just get a simple solution? My very stupid, old LG F3 did this no problem. Thanks.

I don't understand why people still use offline phone contacts. What do you do if you lose your phone or when you change it? Do you transfer your contacts manually everytime you change phones?

I also don't understand why people think that Google (as in a person or people at Google) have access to their data. You say "they have no business with my contacts", who's they? No one can access your contacts or any of your Google data except you. Your data is encrypted and secured on Google's servers and can only be accessed/decrypted with your password. No one at Google can access your data. Google's system (not a person) can access your data but doesn't share it with people. It only uses it to enhance your experience. For example, it accesses your Google Photos to create collages, animations and videos from your photos. This doesn't mean that Google employees can access your pictures. They also use your data to enhanse your experience by serving you better info and ads that suit you based on your data. You're going to be served with ads (when you visit Google and other websites with Google ads) whether you like it or not. Why not get ads that are tailored to your needs instead of random ads that might or might not be useful? I find this useful tbh...

Options

75 Posts

10-14-2015

United States of America

66 Signins

790 Page Views

• Views: 790
  • Message 24 of 31

2016-08-04, 16:25 PM

What happen when your phone gets dropped or falled in the water, and becomes dead?  Could you ensure that all your contacts are 100% backed up somewhere?  Even if you have backups, would the new device (which may or may not be Android) be able to apply those backups and restore them on the new phone?  Are you going to re-enter all your contacts?   Are you able to ensure that all of your contact information is consistent across all the devices you use?

wrote:

I don't want the phone  to synch to anything. I have all synch turned off for outlook and gmail.

Options

3 Posts

08-29-2016

United States of America

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 25 of 31

2016-08-29, 14:02 PM

I'm also having this problem.  Most of the contacts on my previous phone were saved to the device - not Google, as they were transferred over from a non-smartphone.  I wasn't able to transfer over the contacts that weren't saved as Google contacts, so I now have to add contacts.  I have had a problem with at least two contacts so far.  For example, my friend Meghan texted me so I would have her number.  From the text, I clicked to add her to my contacts.  After I entered her name, it popped up her name and email address right below the name field, so it recognized her name from my emails.  When I click on that, it asks if I want to merge the contact (merging the phone number which I started creating the contact with and the email address it recognized once I'd entered her name).  I say yes, finish the edits, and save the contact.  Some part of the phone recognizes the new information - it shows her name instead of her phone number in the text thread, and if I go to search my contacts, she comes up.  But if I just browse through my contacts list, she isn't there.  I can't get in to the contact edit screen to make sure (if I search for her in the contacts, she comes up, but I can't get to an edit screen from there, I can only click her name to call her) so I can't say for sure that she's been saved affiliated with my Google account, but all of the other contacts I've added have been.

Options

3 Posts

08-29-2016

United States of America

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 26 of 31

2016-08-29, 14:56 PM

Of course, right after I post this, I find a way to fix it.  It still seems like a weird workaround though.

When I go to the text thread I have with one of these problematic contacts, I can go to "People & options" in the thread (I'm using the Messaging app, not Messenger).  From there I can click on the contact's name and it pulls up a contact card in the bottom 2/3 of the screen.  There are icons for me to favorite the contact, add the contact, and more options.  Even though I've added the contact, and can search my contacts to find them, it's not until I click the add contact button on this card (at which time it changes into an edit button) that I can actually find them when I browse my contacts list.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 27 of 31

2016-08-29, 16:23 PM

Go into the Contacts app, tap the three dot menu in the upper right, then tap Contacts to Display.  Is All Contacts checked?

Options

3 Posts

08-29-2016

United States of America

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 28 of 31

2016-08-29, 16:49 PM
Yes, All Contacts is selected.
Options

1 Posts

11-15-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 29 of 31

2016-11-15, 13:14 PM

I have the same problem and NOTHING IN THIS THREAD WORKS. If I manually put a number in this phone it will lose it period. I have to put it into my computer and wait for it to synch if I synch now on phone it won't synch. It will synch when it is good and ready making this phone nothing more than a piece of junk

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 30 of 31

2016-11-15, 14:13 PM

wrote:

Just to check, the "Contacts to display" setting is set to "All", correct?  

You can see if GMail is syncing your contacts by logging into your account from a computer.  Click the dropdown next to the word GMail, and then clicking Contacts.

But your method of protecting your contacts is not going to work well at all.  Your email address, regardless of the email system you use, is in the cloud, along with every contact you've ever sent an email to, or received one from.  Not only the contact info, but the body of the email as well, along with the route the email took from your phone to the recipient, with time stamps for each hop.

Please tell me that, at the very least, you have a strong pin or password to lock that device, that isn't a birthday or the name of your pet or family member, or anything else that someone could guess, because that's the only real security you have, and also that you have Android Device Manager set up so you can remotely wipe the device if it's stolen...the best reason of all to have a Google account. Of course, since you're not syncing anything, if you had to do a remote wipe, you'd lose everything, but at least you can keep it from winding up in the wrong hands.

Information about your emails, texts and phone calls are all stored on remote servers, along with some amount of location information.  The only way to keep your information out of the cloud is to not use the cloud at all.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms