09-25-2017

US

15 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 1 of 17

Cant Reach Google At the Moment issue just started

2017-09-25, 19:59 PM

I have had my Moto X for close to a year, never an issue. A few days ago when I use my voice commands for reminders it started telling me that it can't reach Google at the moment. Same thing with texting but I it does work for asking it to open apps or do a search. 

I have done everything I can find to do including clearing the cache to Force Stop. I also tunred off the Moto Voice command when I read that it can conflict with Google voice, although it never has. That enabled me to send voice texts and to set reminders but then the reminders would not notifty me, althought they show in the Ongoing. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Options

522 Posts

10-09-2015

US

910 Signins

22056 Page Views

• Views: 22056
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: Cant Reach Google At the Moment issue just started

2017-09-25, 23:01 PM

wrote:

I have had my Moto X for close to a year, never an issue. A few days ago when I use my voice commands for reminders it started telling me that it can't reach Google at the moment. Same thing with texting but I it does work for asking it to open apps or do a search. 

I have done everything I can find to do including clearing the cache to Force Stop. I also tunred off the Moto Voice command when I read that it can conflict with Google voice, although it never has. That enabled me to send voice texts and to set reminders but then the reminders would not notifty me, althought they show in the Ongoing. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to let you know that I just recently began having the same (or perhaps similar) experience.

I've been getting the (I'm paraphrasing here since I don't recall the exact wording) "I'm sorry, I'm having trouble right now. Let's connect later," or something to that effect.

When I have had a few events where it would read my text and ask if I wanted to reply, it would have the most arbitrary, random interpretations of what I said in response.

May be entirely unrelated to your own situation, but I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring in the event that others may be experiencing potentially similar situations.

I've also cleared my app cache (and yes, safe mode). No new apps (or app updates for several weeks).

I guess the next step for me might be another FDR, but geez, I hate those. Takes forever to get everything set up the way I like things, (in spite of the naysayers, as I have my hands full with other real-life events which have priority over my phone's functionality... I just want it to do the basic functions to allow critical messages and calls to work).

Sent via Pixie Dust from Somewhere over Never, Neverland...
Options

10 Posts

09-25-2017

US

15 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2017-09-26, 14:00 PM

I'm not doing a factory reset for this, as Moto support suggested to me. I have too much to replace including security camera settings to go to that legnth.

I did go in a few days ago after reading a post online and took the Google app back to the un-updated app. That fixed it but a couple of days later it must have auto updated the app because it was back to the same issue, which makes me think it's a Google issue, not a phone issue. 

Options

522 Posts

10-09-2015

US

910 Signins

22056 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2017-09-26, 14:45 PM

wrote:

I'm not doing a factory reset for this, as Moto support suggested to me. I have too much to replace including security camera settings to go to that legnth.

I did go in a few days ago after reading a post online and took the Google app back to the un-updated app. That fixed it but a couple of days later it must have auto updated the app because it was back to the same issue, which makes me think it's a Google issue, not a phone issue. 

If you do uninstall/roll back your latest Google app, and find that the issue is fixed, would you mind posting back with the version number? I'd appreciate it!

I see there is a new update out as of yesterday 9/25/2017 (7.11.24.21.arm64), but the reviews aren't exactly "glowing," and someone specifically mentioned the new version did not fix SMS, or the ability to use voice commands to send/receive texts.

Options

10 Posts

09-25-2017

US

15 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2017-09-26, 18:56 PM

Here's the apparant fix, or at least it's working for now. I once again removed all updates from the Google app, taking it back to the factory installed app. I did that before and it worked for a couple of days and then stopped, I assume because it auto updated. This time I turned off the auto update so to not let that happen again. I'll just have to check once in a while and manually update everything except for Google. We'll see what happens. 

FYI.....when you go back to the oringinal Google all of your app icons will disappear from your screen. Freaked me out the first time. They are all still there in your app folder, just have to slide them back into place.

Options

10 Posts

09-25-2017

US

15 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2017-09-27, 11:54 AM

As it turns out even this apperars to be hit and miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Options

522 Posts

10-09-2015

US

910 Signins

22056 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2017-09-27, 18:21 PM

wrote:

As it turns out even this apperars to be hit and miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Well, shoot.

Thanks for the follow up post. I'm hoping/wanting to believe that this is on Google's end and a future update may resolve things.

But again, I appreciate you taking the time to post back.

Options

1 Posts

09-29-2017

US

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 8 of 17

2017-09-29, 1:38 AM

Had this exact problem start ~2 weeks ago.  Voice search works.  "Hello Moto X" works.  Only once it knows I want to send a text and correctly selects the recipient I get "can't reach google right now" message.  I'll try reverting Google app.  

Options

10 Posts

09-25-2017

US

15 Signins

69 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2017-09-29, 14:58 PM

It completely fixed the voice texting part. 

Options

12 Posts

10-10-2017

US

26 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 10 of 17

2017-10-10, 2:40 AM

I have a Moto Z Force Droid running 7.1.1. Moto Voice has always worked for simple things like "what's the weather," but in the past few weeks if there was an interaction with the app I would get the "Can't reach Google at the moment" screen, which would stop to voice back-and-forth. For example, if I wanted to send a text to Joe, I would say, "text Joe, I'm on my way." A screen would pop up showing Joe's contact info and the draft message: "I'm on my way." At the same time, the Moto would say "Got it. Want to send this?" Recently, however, I get the same screens and voice response, but it's interrupted by the "Can't reach Google at the moment" screen with a microphone at the top right. The previous screen is partly visible at the bottom and I can tap on it to return to the draft text and tap the send button (blue paper airplane), but it's really inconvenient if the whole point is to be hands free. It seems the problem is triggered when Moto Voice asks me the follow up question ("Want to send this?") and/or when it starts to listen for my response.

I spent a while on the phone with a tier 2 Moto support person who had me: 1) reset all app permissions (have to re-allow permissions on all apps now), 2) clear the Google app cache, and 3) disable all under Google app/Settings/Voice. These didn't work, but when I uninstalled the Google app updates (Settings/Google/3 dots/Uninstall updates), the texting by Moto Voice worked again. Alas, later that night the issue recurred. Some Google app voice settings seem to have been turned back on (not by me), so I turned them all off again, disabled the update again, restarted, and it Moto Voice let me text by voice only again.

Moto/Lenovo needs to work with Google to get this worked out. I can't go through all those steps over and over again. It's too bad because Moto's features led me to buy a Moto phone over all the competitors. Maybe not next time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete