Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Pure / Moto X Style
All Forum Topics
Options

32 Posts

07-12-2016

Israel

310 Signins

2364 Page Views

• Views: 2364
  • Message 1 of 16

Default Android lock screen showing instead of the Moto one

2016-07-25, 18:33 PM

Occasionally, the default android lock screen shows up. I'm talking about the one with the lock icon at the middle bottom of the screen you need to swipe up to unlock, instead of the Moto lock screen with the big lock screen in the middle of the screen you need to drag half way down the screen to unlock.

I can, reliably, recreate this by locking the screen by pressing the power button and very shortly after that pressing the power button again to wake it up.

But it also happens, although not very often, during regular use.

Is it just me? Is there any setting I need to change to make this stop?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Default Android lock screen showing instead of the Moto one

2016-07-25, 18:40 PM

wrote:

Occasionally, the default android lock screen shows up. I'm talking about the one with the lock icon at the middle bottom of the screen you need to swipe up to unlock, instead of the Moto lock screen with the big lock screen in the middle of the screen you need to drag half way down the screen to unlock.

I can, reliably, recreate this by locking the screen by pressing the power button and very shortly after that pressing the power button again to wake it up.

But it also happens, although not very often, during regular use.

Is it just me? Is there any setting I need to change to make this stop?

All my moto phones behave this way. 

Wave to wake shows the lock in the middle. Tapping power button shows the lock at the bottom with other options on the screen like camera and mic. 

It always seemed normal to me. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

32 Posts

07-12-2016

Israel

310 Signins

2364 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2016-07-26, 10:08 AM

I think it's inconsistent.

Options

50 Posts

12-09-2015

United States of America

474 Signins

6617 Page Views

• Views: 6617
  • Message 4 of 16

2016-07-26, 14:02 PM

I think it is, in fact, very consistent. 

Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 5 of 16

2016-07-26, 19:50 PM

wrote:

I think it's inconsistent.

It is consistent. This behavior is by design. Pressing the power button always shows the android lock screen. To show moto display, you either have to wave to wake, tilt the phone, or wait for a notification to show up.

Options

32 Posts

07-12-2016

Israel

310 Signins

2364 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2016-07-29, 10:21 AM

Are you stating a fact or your personal opinion? I can't tell.

I just gave an example of this default lock screen pops up consistently, but it also happens, sporadically, during normal use. Yesterday I made a long call during which the screen turned off. When I tried to wake screen up after the call ended the default lock screen showed.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 7 of 16

2016-07-29, 19:07 PM

The only time you should see the Moto lock screen is when you tilt, wave or it shows up when there is a notification. Any other time you should see the Android lock screen. This is very consistent.

The Moto lock screen is there only to give you quick updates of any notifications you get while the screen is off. If you try to turn the phone on then they figure that you want to have the Android lockscreen so that you can physically interact with it. Like, check your notifications or select one to go to that specific app. Hope this helps clears it up.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

1270 Posts

11-15-2013

United States of America

440 Signins

4527 Page Views

• Views: 4527
  • Message 8 of 16

2016-07-30, 8:35 AM

wrote:

I just gave an example of this default lock screen pops up consistently, but it also happens, sporadically, during normal use. Yesterday I made a long call during which the screen turned off. When I tried to wake screen up after the call ended the default lock screen showed.

Did you press the power button?

You have people telling you what the proper actions are to activate Moto Display vs Android lock screen.  Follow that.

Wave to wake / picking up device / notification comes in - Moto Display
Power button press - Android lock screen

You will NEVER get Moto Display from a power button press.  Ever.  That's not how it was designed.

After you press the power button to turn OFF the display, there's a small timeout before Moto Display kicks on (3-5 seconds).  This is also by design because you just turned off the display, likely to put it away or put it down.  This reduces the chance of accidental unlock through Moto Display.

Options

32 Posts

07-12-2016

Israel

310 Signins

2364 Page Views

• Message 9 of 16

2016-07-30, 10:46 AM

wrote:

wrote:

Did you press the power button?

No I didn't. I use the bumper case that came boxed with the phone. Those power/volume buttons are recessed with the bumber case on, which make it harder to press by mistake.

I appreciate the long, detailed answer. I know how the Moto Display feature works.

Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 10 of 16

2016-07-30, 16:44 PM

wrote:

That's a fact. You said you tried to wake the screen. How exactly did you wake the screen?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms