cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 439
Message 11 of 14

Re: Does Moto X Pure have 4 Mic Noise Cancellation?

Most phones these days, I find, do a pretty good job of blocking background noise when you're not talking, because all they have to do is detect that you're not talking and turn off the mics (effectively blocking all background noise). That can even be done well with only one mic and is not really what "active noise cancellation" is.

So some phones will be really quiet while you are not talking and then suddenly there's a lot of background noise when you start talking and then it goes away again, etc., which can be annoying.

The trickier part, the "active" part, is when you are talking and the noise cancellation has to detect with the secondary mics what is background noise and then do real time signal processing to cancel out the background noise (much the way noise cancelling headphones work), while letting your voice through.

In my experience and based on feedback from my callers, nothing has come remotely close to being as good as the Nexus One with the original Audience chip. It was just amazing and did not give my own voice too much of a processed sound. Fluence, I've found in every phone I've tried with it, maybe lets one's own voice have a slightly more natural sound, but really does not very effectively block background noise while one is talking.

Another factor is that some phones, like my Nexus 4 with Fluence, will block noise pretty well in a loud place with relatively consistent background noise, but if there is a sudden loud sound it would cut through producing weird electronic-y noises for the caller. The Audience chip was amazing at also blocking that sort of stuff.

Motorola I know is supposed to be good, but I haven't been able to do good comparisons in the same place (with same background noise).  I tested the 2014 X some in an AT&T store and the Nexus 6 in a Sprint store (calling myself and leaving messages so I could hear the background noise). The voice quality seemed clear and natural, but the stores weren't that loud, so it was hard to judge how much sound would come through in other settings.

I still wish I could see a back to back test of one of these Motorola phones in the same setting, with some of the other technologies out there (Audience, Fluence). AnandTech use to do that in their phone reviews, using a noise track and recording the results on a call to another phone, so they could do truly apples to apples comparisons. But they stopped doing that a long time ago.

Anyway, I'd be curious how background noise sounds to a caller, if someone was in a loud cafe or even bar with the 2015 Moto X.

gregaryous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 128
Message 12 of 14

hi, do you know why my phone callers are experiencing bad feedback, reverb, echo when i use the speaker phone function, i happens 95 perecent of the time. ps , i did replace the screen tho i dont know if i had the problem before then, thx, gt, boise
Highlighted
gregaryous
Fanfold Paper
Views: 128
Message 13 of 14

hi, do you know why my phone callers are experiencing bad feedback, reverb, echo when i use the speaker phone function, i happens 95 perecent of the time. i shoud say i did replace the screen and tho i dont know if i had the problem before then. thx, ps gt, boise
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 106
Message 14 of 14

@gregaryous wrote:
hi, do you know why my phone callers are experiencing bad feedback, reverb, echo when i use the speaker phone function, i happens 95 perecent of the time. i shoud say i did replace the screen and tho i dont know if i had the problem before then. thx, ps gt, boise

Hi, gregaryous!

Thank you for reaching out. I know how annoying this must be, allow us to help. Does it happen to both outgoing and incoming phone calls? Have you tried some troubleshooting steps to fix this?

Regards,
May
Moto Support