Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Pure / Moto X Style
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 1 of 39

Moto X Pure Edition 5GHz WIFI Issues with Yuneec Breeze

2016-11-05, 5:03 AM

I recently bought a Yuneec Breeze camera drone that is controlled by IOS or Android device over a 5Ghz 802.11 WIFI signal. I tried to connect and control the drone using Moto X Pure Edition but it couldn't detect the drone signal. However, I tried using and IOS device as well as my laptop to connect to the drone and it was able to detect and connect to the drone's WIFI signal.

I factory reset my Moto X and during the initial WIFI network set-up it was able to detect the signal from the drone. However, when I start updating the phone's system files and started installing some apps, it could no longer detect the signal again from the drone.

I also tried restarting my phone is safe mode but still it didn't detect the signal from the drone. 

I tried to contact Yuneec and Motorola for support but they couldn't offer any solutions yet.

Anyone experienced this issue and found solutions? Please help and thank you.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 39

Re: Moto X Pure Edition 5GHz WIFI Issues with Yuneec Breeze

2016-11-05, 12:09 PM

wrote:

I recently bought a Yuneec Breeze camera drone that is controlled by IOS or Android device over a 5Ghz 802.11 WIFI signal. I tried to connect and control the drone using Moto X Pure Edition but it couldn't detect the drone signal. However, I tried using and IOS device as well as my laptop to connect to the drone and it was able to detect and connect to the drone's WIFI signal.

I factory reset my Moto X and during the initial WIFI network set-up it was able to detect the signal from the drone. However, when I start updating the phone's system files and started installing some apps, it could no longer detect the signal again from the drone.

I also tried restarting my phone is safe mode but still it didn't detect the signal from the drone. 

I tried to contact Yuneec and Motorola for support but they couldn't offer any solutions yet.

Anyone experienced this issue and found solutions? Please help and thank you.

If it worked after a reset, and then stopped after adding some apps, then one or more apps is to blame.  

I recommend you reset again, dont install any apps,and test. Then update factory apps. Test again, then go for 3rd party apps one at a time. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 3 of 39

2016-11-05, 12:51 PM

I have the same problem on my Pure. It detects my 5GHz WiFi on initial setup, but then after signing in to my google account, it doesn't detect it anymore.

After doing some digging, I found out that it has to do with the channel that you're using on your 5GHz WiFi. For one reason or another, on initial setup, the Pure can detect all 5GHz channels. But after signing in to your Google account, it can only detect the higher channels (higher than 149 if I remember correctly). Anything lower than that is not detected.

I think this is because only higher channels are supported in the US, so lower channels are software disabled after initial setup.

See if you can change the channel on your drone and set it to a higher one. This should solve your problem. If you can't change the channel on the drone, then you're simply out of luck. Unless moto release a software update that enables the lower channles on 5GHz, you won't be able to connect to ur drone. Or if the drone manufacturer release an update that allows you to change the channel on the drone.

Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 4 of 39

2016-11-05, 13:49 PM

@ Alpha

Yes, I also tried your recommendation many times, adding one app at a time after a factory reset. But after a few days, it will revert to same problem and could not detect the signal again from the drone. I am just puzzled because every time I do a factory reset it can detect the signal. It also requires that I do not log-in to my Google account to prevent background updates to my system, otherwise, it will not detect the signal again. It kind of defeat the purpose of using additional features of the phone if you don't log-in to your Google account. Very strange.

Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 5 of 39

2016-11-05, 13:53 PM
@ Salim
Thanks for sharing. I can relate to your experience also. I did noticed that after logging-in to my Google account the phone will lose its capability again to detect the signal from the drone. If your assessment is correct about the channel issues, then I am really out of luck unless Motorola or Yuneec provides updates to solve the wifi channel issues. I will try to email Yuneec and Motorola and maybe they can consider that channel issue in subsequent system updates. Thank you to all your replies.
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 6 of 39

2016-11-05, 14:16 PM

wrote:
@ Salim
Thanks for sharing. I can relate to your experience also. I did noticed that after logging-in to my Google account the phone will lose its capability again to detect the signal from the drone. If your assessment is correct about the channel issues, then I am really out of luck unless Motorola or Yuneec provides updates to solve the wifi channel issues. I will try to email Yuneec and Motorola and maybe they can consider that channel issue in subsequent system updates. Thank you to all your replies.

My understanding is that Google is the one setting channel frequencies in stock android, not Motorola. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 7 of 39

2016-11-05, 15:48 PM

wrote:

wrote:
@ Salim

My understanding is that Google is the one setting channel frequencies in stock android, not Motorola. 

If that is the case then all Android devices will be affected, is that correct?

Options

106 Posts

12-03-2015

United States of America

1435 Signins

19368 Page Views

• Views: 19368
  • Message 8 of 39

2016-11-05, 15:49 PM

wrote:

I have the same problem on my Pure. It detects my 5GHz WiFi on initial setup, but then after signing in to my google account, it doesn't detect it anymore.

After doing some digging, I found out that it has to do with the channel that you're using on your 5GHz WiFi. For one reason or another, on initial setup, the Pure can detect all 5GHz channels. But after signing in to your Google account, it can only detect the higher channels (higher than 149 if I remember correctly). Anything lower than that is not detected.

I think this is because only higher channels are supported in the US, so lower channels are software disabled after initial setup.

I don't think this is quite accurate. I have my WiFi set on channel 36 at home, and my Pure has no problem connecting to it. I am in the US, and am signed into my google account. According to my US router, the 5Ghz channels allowed in the US are: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161. Any of these channels should work, but you might need to be aware of any other WiFi nearby that is using the same channel. You can use the free WiFi Analyzer app to look for unused channels.

Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Message 9 of 39

2016-11-05, 16:16 PM

wrote:

wrote:
@ Salim

Nope, stock Android is compatible with all channels. This is set by OEMs according to the region.

Nexus/Pixel devices are compatible with all channels. My Pixel C can see my low channel 5GHz WiFi which my Pure can't.

Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Message 10 of 39

2016-11-05, 16:21 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I don't think this is quite accurate. I have my WiFi set on channel 36 at home, and my Pure has no problem connecting to it. I am in the US, and am signed into my google account. According to my US router, the 5Ghz channels allowed in the US are: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161. Any of these channels should work, but you might need to be aware of any other WiFi nearby that is using the same channel. You can use the free WiFi Analyzer app to look for unused channels.

I might be wrong on the exact channels that are not compatible with the US Pure, but there are channels that aren't compatible, regardless of which ones they are.

If his Pure can't see his drone's 5GHz WiFi, this means the drone is transmitting on a channel that's disabled on the Pure, I'm sure of that.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms