Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Pure / Moto X Style
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 21 of 39

Re: Moto X Pure Edition 5GHz WIFI Issues with Yuneec Breeze

2016-11-06, 13:26 PM

wrote:

wrote:

This time I tried to focus on the drone's wifi signal and turned it on and off several times to check what channels is it broadcasting. So far I can see the drone is using channels 149, 153, 157, 161 and 165 all at 5Ghz band. It hasn't broadcasted below 149. These channels are all within the capabilities of the Moto X Pure. I also tried to set the Moto X Pure as an access point and it is broadcasting at channel 149 in 5Ghz band. It's becoming more apparent that some software is interfering/controlling with the phone's wifi capabilities. The puzzling question is why Moto X when there are other Android phones running on Google system that may not have the same problem binding with the Yuneec drone. Otherwise, I could have read a lot of negative reviews about the Yuneec not working on Android devices.

I'm telling you it's the channels. Those channels are software disabled on the Pure. Moto have probably only enabled DFS channels (50-144).

Check the xda threads below where other Pure users are having similar issues:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/5ghz-wireless-visible-t2520520

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/5ghz-wifi-t2571655

Thanks for sending the links.

I am trying to figure out what software is interfering with the Moto X Pure capabilities of detecting the signal from the drone. What I noticed is that after a factory reset, I skip all the sign-in options to Goggle and Motorola ID and with no apps installed except for the Yuneec Breeze apps to control the drone. Everything seems to be fine and Moto X can detect all the channels from the drone beginning 149 up to 165. So there is a big possibility that a software (either from Google or Motorola) is interfering. If I keep the phone apps and system to a bare minimum everything is fine. I will try to install one app per day and update the system one at a time per day and hopefully I can finally figure out what software is limiting the capabilities of Moto X to detect channel 149 up in 5Ghz band. 

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 22 of 39

2016-11-06, 14:19 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

This time I tried to focus on the drone's wifi signal and turned it on and off several times to check what channels is it broadcasting. So far I can see the drone is using channels 149, 153, 157, 161 and 165 all at 5Ghz band. It hasn't broadcasted below 149. These channels are all within the capabilities of the Moto X Pure. I also tried to set the Moto X Pure as an access point and it is broadcasting at channel 149 in 5Ghz band. It's becoming more apparent that some software is interfering/controlling with the phone's wifi capabilities. The puzzling question is why Moto X when there are other Android phones running on Google system that may not have the same problem binding with the Yuneec drone. Otherwise, I could have read a lot of negative reviews about the Yuneec not working on Android devices.

I'm telling you it's the channels. Those channels are software disabled on the Pure. Moto have probably only enabled DFS channels (50-144).

I am trying to figure out what software is interfering with the Moto X Pure capabilities of detecting the signal from the drone. What I noticed is that after a factory reset, I skip all the sign-in options to Goggle and Motorola ID and with no apps installed except for the Yuneec Breeze apps to control the drone. Everything seems to be fine and Moto X can detect all the channels from the drone beginning 149 up to 165. So there is a big possibility that a software (either from Google or Motorola) is interfering. If I keep the phone apps and system to a bare minimum everything is fine. I will try to install one app per day and update the system one at a time per day and hopefully I can finally figure out what software is limiting the capabilities of Moto X to detect channel 149 up in 5Ghz band. 

You're doing a great job of troubleshooting!  Just want to make sure you have auto updating turned off in the Play store.  That way, as you reinstall your apps, you can see if it's an update to an app that causes the problem.  

Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 23 of 39

2016-11-06, 14:31 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

You're doing a great job of troubleshooting!  Just want to make sure you have auto updating turned off in the Play store.  That way, as you reinstall your apps, you can see if it's an update to an app that causes the problem.  

Thanks for the helpful advice, that will surely help me in the troubleshooting. Thanks again, that did not cross my mind.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 24 of 39

2016-11-06, 14:46 PM

Your profile indicates you are in japan. Is this drone made for japanese market? Wifi allowed channels between japan and usa (for example) differ greatly. It could be that your act of logging into google sets your location, modifies country in os settings and disables certain frequencies.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 25 of 39

2016-11-06, 14:51 PM

wrote:

Your profile indicates you are in japan. Is this drone made for japanese market? Wifi allowed channels between japan and usa (for example) differ greatly. It could be that your act of logging into google sets your location, modifies country in os settings and disables certain frequencies.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Yes I am in Japan. I imported the drone from USA as well as my Moto X Pure. I will try not to set my location to high accuracy and keep it at "GPS device only" settings to make sure that Google will not take over the phone's wifi features. Thanks for that advise as well.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 26 of 39

2016-11-06, 16:37 PM

I think you are going to have some problems. Based on what you shared, the drone is using channels that are not allowed for 5ghz in Japan. 

I don't think the accuracy mode matters. As soon as the phone realizes it is Japan, it will adjust the available frequencies to what is allowed. 

Good luck, maybe i am wrong. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 27 of 39

2016-11-06, 17:48 PM

wrote:

Keep us posted!

Options

106 Posts

12-03-2015

United States of America

1435 Signins

19368 Page Views

• Views: 19368
  • Message 28 of 39

2016-11-06, 20:58 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I don't think this is quite accurate. I have my WiFi set on channel 36 at home, and my Pure has no problem connecting to it. I am in the US, and am signed into my google account.

How do you know for sure that your Pure is actually connecting to your 5GHz SSID not your 2.4GHz SSID? If you are broadcasting both a 2.4GHz SSID and a 5GHz SSID and you're using the same SSID name on both, your Pure would be actually connecting to your 2.4GHz SSID without you knowing it.

To test properly whether your Pure is detecting your 5GHz SSID, you have to disable your 2.4GHz SSID or use different names on the SSIDs to identify which one is 2.4GHz and which one is 5GHz.

I have always had different SSIDs between my 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I've also been using a WiFi analyzer that shows me which channel I've connected to. The only problems I've ever observed with using 5GHz with my Pure (and with other devices) is that signal is weaker (not as good at passing through walls) and connecting can take a little bit longer than with 2.4GHz.

Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 29 of 39

2016-11-12, 4:08 AM

UPDATE:

I factory reset my Moto X and disabled the auto-update as recommended by crystallet. I also disabled the 'location' in the phone's settings as Alphadog suspected that the phone or maybe Google is taking over the phone's wifi capabilities to adapt to local (Japan) wifi channel restrictions.

Well, so far I have been successful in connecting to the Yuneec drone and was able to control it. I just updated the phone's essential system like help function, Moto action, etc. I avoided installing apps that will access the phone's location. I am signed in to Google play but not to Google Chrome. I also update Google chrome browser but I also deny any website that requested to use the phone's location.

So far so good. I think the problem is cause by combination of Google and Moto X system restricting the wifi capabilities once the location is accurately determined by any apps or MX system. I also did not sign in to Motorola ID. 

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 30 of 39

2016-11-12, 4:50 AM

You really should contact the drone vendor and see if you can change the drone channel. You are using a channel that is restricted in Japan. The phone, be it google or moto, is behaving as designed from what you have shared. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms