Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X Pure / Moto X Style
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 31 of 39

Re: Moto X Pure Edition 5GHz WIFI Issues with Yuneec Breeze

2016-11-12, 8:32 AM

wrote:

You really should contact the drone vendor and see if you can change the drone channel. You are using a channel that is restricted in Japan. The phone, be it google or moto, is behaving as designed from what you have shared. 

@ AlphaDog

I did immediately contact Yuneec when I first encountered the problem, but so far they just told me that their technical team is looking into the matter and that I should wait. 

Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 32 of 39

2016-11-12, 10:27 AM

wrote:

UPDATE:

I factory reset my Moto X and disabled the auto-update as recommended by crystallet. I also disabled the 'location' in the phone's settings as Alphadog suspected that the phone or maybe Google is taking over the phone's wifi capabilities to adapt to local (Japan) wifi channel restrictions.

Well, so far I have been successful in connecting to the Yuneec drone and was able to control it. I just updated the phone's essential system like help function, Moto action, etc. I avoided installing apps that will access the phone's location. I am signed in to Google play but not to Google Chrome. I also update Google chrome browser but I also deny any website that requested to use the phone's location.

So far so good. I think the problem is cause by combination of Google and Moto X system restricting the wifi capabilities once the location is accurately determined by any apps or MX system. I also did not sign in to Motorola ID. 

Keep an eye on what actually disables those channels. I have a feeling that it's signing in to your moto ID.

Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 33 of 39

2016-11-12, 15:40 PM

wrote:

wrote:

You really should contact the drone vendor and see if you can change the drone channel. You are using a channel that is restricted in Japan. The phone, be it google or moto, is behaving as designed from what you have shared. 

@ AlphaDog

I did immediately contact Yuneec when I first encountered the problem, but so far they just told me that their technical team is looking into the matter and that I should wait. 

So this problem affects Android devices only? Because the Apple I-pad of my friend can detect the signal of the drone here in Japan. IOS uses a different OS compared to Android am I correct?

Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 34 of 39

2016-11-12, 15:56 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@ AlphaDog

So this problem affects Android devices only? Because the Apple I-pad of my friend can detect the signal of the drone here in Japan. IOS uses a different OS compared to Android am I correct?

I don't think this is an Android problem. My other Android devices don't have this problem. Only my Pure and my wife's 2nd gen have it.

Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 35 of 39

2016-11-12, 16:06 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@ AlphaDog

I don't think this is an Android problem. My other Android devices don't have this problem. Only my Pure and my wife's 2nd gen have it.

I will try to sign-in to my Motorala ID and see if it triggers the channel restriction again. I will keep you posted.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 36 of 39

2016-11-12, 20:24 PM

I have a nexus 5x. It only only has the same channels activated as the pure and my other moto phones, i am in the usa, and both phones are limiting themselves to usa allowed frequency/channel configuration

If you visit other android sites, there is a country code setting in build.prop and that is supposed to trigger what channels are available. It is possible other manufacturers are just defaulting to "allow all" . Some phones, like x pure, were designed specifically for the usa market. It is the x style everywhere else. 

keep in mind the FCC in the usa and its equivalent in other countries does limit permissible frequencies. Those limitations are listed in the wikipedia article. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 37 of 39

2016-11-19, 10:02 AM

2nd UPDATE

I signed-in to my Motorola ID to see if MX wifi channels will be restricted to my local location (Japan), however, it didn't interfere with the wi-fi signal and I was able to continuously connect to the Yuneec drone. I still kept the MX location settings to OFF throughout my investigation. Yesterday, I decided to enable the MX location settings and set it to high accuracy. I accessed the online Android device manager and tried to locate the phone. I also activated my Google map navigation and allowed the app to access the MX location at high accuracy settings as requested by the app. Then I tried to connect to the drone and the MX could no longer detect the signal from the drone and could no longer connect. So, this confirmed my hunch that the location settings triggered the MX system to set restrictions to wi-fi channels to certain countries in collaboration with Google apps. I checked the build.prop and found the settings unchanged for ro.wifi.channels = (blank) and ro.product.locale = en-US. The MX is not rooted so I cannot edit the build.prop. I guess the only workaround is to factory reset the MX and disable the location settings and not to allow any app to access the MX location. 

Thanks to all for sharing their opinion on this issue.

Options

1270 Posts

11-15-2013

United States of America

440 Signins

4527 Page Views

• Views: 4527
  • Message 38 of 39

2016-11-20, 20:54 PM

wrote:

2nd UPDATE

I signed-in to my Motorola ID to see if MX wifi channels will be restricted to my local location (Japan), however, it didn't interfere with the wi-fi signal and I was able to continuously connect to the Yuneec drone. I still kept the MX location settings to OFF throughout my investigation. Yesterday, I decided to enable the MX location settings and set it to high accuracy. I accessed the online Android device manager and tried to locate the phone. I also activated my Google map navigation and allowed the app to access the MX location at high accuracy settings as requested by the app. Then I tried to connect to the drone and the MX could no longer detect the signal from the drone and could no longer connect. So, this confirmed my hunch that the location settings triggered the MX system to set restrictions to wi-fi channels to certain countries in collaboration with Google apps. I checked the build.prop and found the settings unchanged for ro.wifi.channels = (blank) and ro.product.locale = en-US. The MX is not rooted so I cannot edit the build.prop. I guess the only workaround is to factory reset the MX and disable the location settings and not to allow any app to access the MX location. 

The US allows 5GHz channels 36-165, but Japan is very restrictive.

36, 40, 44, 48 are only allowed indoors once locale based Wifi frequency restrictions are implemented.

50, 54, 58, 62, 102, 106, 110, 114, 118, 122, 134, 138, 142-196 are all disallowed in Japan.  If you're caught operating on these frequencies, which may be reserved for government or emergency services, you may be fined.

DFS = dynamic frequency selection

TPC = transmit power control

In essence, your drone is illegal without a firmware update to match Japan's regulations regarding transmittable wireless radio frequencies.

Options

16 Posts

11-05-2016

Japan

16 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 39 of 39

2016-11-23, 3:55 AM

wrote:

wrote:

2nd UPDATE

The US allows 5GHz channels 36-165, but Japan is very restrictive.

36, 40, 44, 48 are only allowed indoors once locale based Wifi frequency restrictions are implemented.

50, 54, 58, 62, 102, 106, 110, 114, 118, 122, 134, 138, 142-196 are all disallowed in Japan.  If you're caught operating on these frequencies, which may be reserved for government or emergency services, you may be fined.

DFS = dynamic frequency selection

TPC = transmit power control

In essence, your drone is illegal without a firmware update to match Japan's regulations regarding transmittable wireless radio frequencies.

Thanks for the heads-up. So far I have not flown the drone in city and populated areas.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms