Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laurie22
Paper Tape
Views: 2,936
Message 1 of 7

Moto X Pure Edition UPGRADE?

Hi all, I still am using a fully functional Moto X Pure Edition with no issues whatsoever.  I love this phone with the exception of the procossor is a little slow compared to new ones.  It's time for me to upgrade but honestly, I feel like the new Moto phones don't have all of the features I love in my X Pure.  I would love for Motorola to come out with a newer version of the X Pure but it is unclear what model(s) would be the upgrade.  Has anyone upgraded from X Pure?  What did you upgrade to and why?

tiguyac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,825
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto X Pure Edition UPGRADE?

Same here, except I'm pretty sure my battery is failing pretty hard. I think my next phone will be a Pixel, but I'm still reading up on them..
Mark218
Paper Tape
Views: 2,654
Message 3 of 7

Have had two X Pure phones since early 2016,  Love the functionality and feel of them.  However, both the charging port and battery just failed on one of them.  The battery is getting weaker on the other one and could die at any time.

A trusted local repair shop (in VA) will fix the port and replace the battery for just under $100.  So I will get that done and have a "spare" X Pure. 

(When the problems started, bought a new Motorola X4 for my business use. Smaller, lighter, and thinner - seems to be a great phone.)

LenoTechie
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,390
Message 4 of 7

Ever since Lenovo took over the Motorola brand name, it has been going downhill.  There really isn't a viable replacement that is an actual upgrade to the Moto X Pure.  The Z2 Play Force Edition was supposed to be the next logical step but anyone who can find a comparison tool on the web can see that for the price, it is not an upgrade.  

Until recently it was going for $720 (now $500) for this CARRIER LOCKED version ... which you needed to opt for unless you wanted the unlocked version for $500 (now $350) with these "features"

- 1920x1080 resolution - (instead of 2560x1440)

- 401ppi - (instead of 534 ppi)

- single loudspeaker - (instead of two like on the Moto X Pure 2015 - so you can buy the Moto Mod speaker)

- Snapdragon 626 - (instead of the Snapdragon 835)

- LTE Cat 7 - (instead of LTE Cat 16)

- No VoLTE - (like on the Moto X Pure 2015)

- 802.11n (instead of 802.11ac like on the Moto X Pure 2015)

- no IP Certification (instead of IP52 certification like on the Moto X Pure 2015)

That is some list of kick-in-the teeth isn't it?  But wait, even if you splurge for the CARRIER LOCKED version, its not all roses there either.

- smaller battery (2730 mAh vs 3000 mAh - so you can buy the Moto Mod battery)

- no 3.5mm headphone port (USB Type C headphone adapter instead even if all phones will eventually land there I think)

- smaller camera pixel size (1.25 μm vs 1.4 μm on the unlocked version)

- GSM or CDMA (not both like on the Moto X Pure 2015)

- No Gorilla Glass (ShatterShield instead which from anecdotal stories I have heard, scratches easily - also, it was the only display phone at Best Buy that was broken. I imagine it is is more fragile than the other 20 phones on display at the store)

OK, so don't go for this and pick a different Motorola device to keep the carriers from owning your phone?  Only if you want a dark 1920x1080 phone screen.  The only (working) phones on display that could hold a candle to my 3 year old Moto X Pure (2015) were the $800+ flagship phones.  

Yeah, thanks but no thanks Lenovo.  You are forcing me to dump the Motorola brand because you don't offer anything worthwhile.  Your Moto Mods don't fool me.  Factor in the cost of those and your flagship is no less expensive than the other guys.  If I am going to pay a premium price for a flagship phone, then I am going to buy a premium flagship device with better everything and not settle.  

Silly, if you had kept the same Moto X Pure DNA but upgraded the processing power and RAM, you could have given Samsung and LG a run for their money (and mine).

Highlighted
GaryAustin
Token Ring
Views: 2,347
Message 5 of 7

I went with the Google Pixel XL 2.  My reasons:

• Stock Android.  The Moto X Pure did do that and, of course, so does Google.
  • Customer Support.  Read the feedback on this site.  Customer support is terrible.  When I ordered my phone it arrived significantly past the expected arrival date (by weeks).  I could never get a definite answer as to the order status, other than a confirmation that they had taken my money.  Just generic BS from a call center in the Philippines who didn't have any better access to information than I did.  Customer support (both pre and after sale) is crucial to developing loyal customers and either Lenovo doesn't understand that or doesn't care.
  • Updates.  Google guarantees at least 3 years of operating system updates and frequent security updates. My Moto X Pure came with Marshmallow and I got one update to Noughat 7.0.  The update was about 8-9 months after 7.1 had already come out and to even get the 7.0 update I had to buy a Sprint sim card or it would have been another 2 months (or maybe never, since Lenovo never comments on anything other than things they want to sell you).  The security update on Moto X Pure is still on the December 2017 update and, once again, no comment from Lenovo about any further security updates.
  • As LenoTechie said above, when you consider all of the add-ons (e.g. mods), you are up to Flagship price.  So once I realized that this was the case, the decision, for me, to go with the Google Pixel 2 XL was easy.  I didn't want to be immersed/trapped in the Apple eco-system (i.e. with an Android I have numerous choices) and Samsung isn't really very good about operating system updates.

PS - I had written a longer, perhaps more critical response and somehow it "disappeared" (censored?)

MrXmas
What's DOS?
Views: 725
Message 6 of 7

A

@LenoTechie wrote:

Ever since Lenovo took over the Motorola brand name, it has been going downhill.  There really isn't a viable replacement that is an actual upgrade to the Moto X Pure.  The Z2 Play Force Edition was supposed to be the next logical step but anyone who can find a comparison tool on the web can see that for the price, it is not an upgrade.  

Until recently it was going for $720 (now $500) for this CARRIER LOCKED version ... which you needed to opt for unless you wanted the unlocked version for $500 (now $350) with these "features"

- 1920x1080 resolution - (instead of 2560x1440)

- 401ppi - (instead of 534 ppi)

- single loudspeaker - (instead of two like on the Moto X Pure 2015 - so you can buy the Moto Mod speaker)

- Snapdragon 626 - (instead of the Snapdragon 835)

- LTE Cat 7 - (instead of LTE Cat 16)

- No VoLTE - (like on the Moto X Pure 2015)

- 802.11n (instead of 802.11ac like on the Moto X Pure 2015)

- no IP Certification (instead of IP52 certification like on the Moto X Pure 2015)

That is some list of kick-in-the teeth isn't it?  But wait, even if you splurge for the CARRIER LOCKED version, its not all roses there either.

- smaller battery (2730 mAh vs 3000 mAh - so you can buy the Moto Mod battery)

- no 3.5mm headphone port (USB Type C headphone adapter instead even if all phones will eventually land there I think)

- smaller camera pixel size (1.25 μm vs 1.4 μm on the unlocked version)

- GSM or CDMA (not both like on the Moto X Pure 2015)

- No Gorilla Glass (ShatterShield instead which from anecdotal stories I have heard, scratches easily - also, it was the only display phone at Best Buy that was broken. I imagine it is is more fragile than the other 20 phones on display at the store)

OK, so don't go for this and pick a different Motorola device to keep the carriers from owning your phone?  Only if you want a dark 1920x1080 phone screen.  The only (working) phones on display that could hold a candle to my 3 year old Moto X Pure (2015) were the $800+ flagship phones.  

Yeah, thanks but no thanks Lenovo.  You are forcing me to dump the Motorola brand because you don't offer anything worthwhile.  Your Moto Mods don't fool me.  Factor in the cost of those and your flagship is no less expensive than the other guys.  If I am going to pay a premium price for a flagship phone, then I am going to buy a premium flagship device with better everything and not settle.  

Silly, if you had kept the same Moto X Pure DNA but upgraded the processing power and RAM, you could have given Samsung and LG a run for their money (and mine).

MEN AND HALLELUJAH!

zendan2017
Paper Tape
Views: 179
Message 7 of 7

I agree. The first Moto X Pure I had was the 16 gb version and worked great. Unforutnately I dropped it on concrete at work and would cost more to fix than the phone was worth so I snagged one on ebay for $126 a 32 gb model. The features keep me with this phone, great sounding stereo speakers, Moto voice commands, 21 MP camera. These are my favorite features. It is upgraded to nougat and fast charging so really no reason to upgrade.