Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 25 (523 Views)

Moto X Pure on Sprint: Domestic Roaming

I'm a current Moto X 2013 user on Sprint, and have decided to pick up a new MXP before they disappear; as I want to "test drive" a phablet without having to shell out x3 as much for a new Pixel XL, plus I still believe that Moto Voice is the best way to communicate while driving.

I read on a non-Sprint affiliated website, and elsewhere on the then Motorola, dicsussion board that there was at least one Sprint postpay customer/MSP user whose phone, and the replacement Motorola sent him, would NOT connect to any roaming partners when he went out of Sprint coverage.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thank in advance,

Matthew

Lenovo Employee
Message 2 of 25 (513 Views)

Re: Moto X Pure on Sprint: Domestic Roaming

I can't speak towards the Moto X 2013 edition... 

My Moto X Pure 2015 edition model XT1575 works well on Sprint. It's been taken to Mexico while under Sprints roaming plan without issue... Though you may have to set it to GSM mode vs LTE/CDMA mode.

It's also been in Italy where we took advantage of Sprint offering low speed data at no charge. 

The SIM under Sprint in the US for the Moto X 2015 edition model XT1575 is Sprint Part #SIMGLW446C

Lenovo Employee
Message 3 of 25 (473 Views)

You should also make sure you are on the Sprint Open World plan, usually a no charge plan add on. Also, switch the default messaging program to Google Messages, which has better Sprint tie ins. 

Jot down the number you may need to call for international sprint support just in case... Maybe you can call it from a friend's phone. 

Also, since the Moto X 2015 is unlocked, you can always buy a prepaid sim for the country you are going to, and use that in your phone. 

It's really a good phone.

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 25 (304 Views)

I also have a 2015 Pure, bought in 9/2016, also refuses to roam outside home Sprint network.

Just traveled to Bahamas for a week and no voice or data.

Had previously called Sprint, updated PRL, reset phone, update device config etc. Of course 

Was assuming problem as previous trip same problem. Of course wife's Samsumg roamed fine and got the free data.

My previous MotoX(1st gen worked fine in Bahamas and Europe)

This is very frurtrating, I checked sim card and is same p/n recomended above SIMGLW446C(BTW I called Sprint and they no longer have this p/n in system AND they no longer have a specific SIM card for the XT1575, they are sending a card for another phone as a last resort)

rbkirk , you are only user that I have EVER seen on a board that can roam with MXP/Sprint, what vintage is your phone? and
can you compare baseband version with mine ?
Any other tips appreciated, no idea what to do at this point, really like this phone, but can't continue "no roam".
Note: this phone has no manual "network select" that I can find, or a way to show networks, just the "automatic", any deeper
way to see active networks?

Lenovo Employee
Message 5 of 25 (300 Views)

Just a check here....

You may have to go to Settings>More>Cellular networks>

Under there are two settings...

One is Data Roaming. Obviously, this would have to be turned on once off the Sprint Network

The second is Preferred network type...that should be switched to Global when overseas...

I hope Sprint directed you to do this prior to travelling...did they do this? If not, their people gave you some bad advice.

That is interesting news about a dedicated SIM for the Moto X Pure 2015 however....good post...Did they share the part number? When you get it, the packaging material may indicate the part number. It would be a great service to post that here with as much information as possible.

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 25 (290 Views)

One is Data Roaming. Obviously, this would have to be turned on once off the Sprint Network*YES OF COURSE

The second is Preferred network type...that should be switched to Global when overseas...YES, also tried 3G and 1x just in case.

Will post PN/results of new SIM(I do not have much hope, as even Sprint told me this card does not show up for use on the XT1575, incredible that this phone does not even have a specific SIM card shown on their system anymore)

Two burning questions:

Baseband Version on your XT1575 vs. mine(was yours later/earlier than my 9/2016 purchase)

Is there any way to actually look at networks being scanned on this phone? (like every other phone i have had)

The forums are full of people with "fail to roam" with XT1575s, yours is only confirmed Sprint roam-capable unit I have ever heard of---where is the difference??

Lenovo Employee
Message 7 of 25 (287 Views)

The baseband version is M8992_1255331.29.01.88.02R SUPER_NA.

However...my current Moto X 2015 edition I have not taken out of the country just yet...I sold my original 32GB one and bought a 64GB one when it went on sale in Dec 2016, just to refresh the battery and have more internal storage. So this is a fairly new Moto X, bought just 8 months ago

My previous one, bought roughly Sept/Oct 2015 worked just fine during a Mexico vacation, and also worked for low speed data in Europe. I've not yet tried it in the Caribbean. Ironically, I did have roaming problems with the older phone in Alaska with Sprint in 2016...you would think that would not happen while remaining in the US, but it did...

My guess with Sprint, and their crazy restrictive white list/black list system tied to the IMEI number is this is entirely the fault of Sprint, unfortunately. For example, I put a pure GSM foreign carrier SIM in my Moto X 2015, and it worked just fine, after "readjusting" the phone to that carrier. So the phone is physically more than capable of working on other carrier's networks...but not if Sprint rejects the overseas partner carriers transmittal of cruicial data, and rejects it from the network.

You have prompted me to double check with Sprint to see if they have some new hoop to leap through before taking the phone overseas that must be provisioned in their network.

Also, one other thing, I am on the "Open World" plan, a no cost rider on the service.

These are my service riders:

International services to use while in the US and abroad: Activate international calling (required for Sprint Open World ℠ add-on) - $0.00   

Call and/or Text from US to International locations: Allow my device to place international calls while in the United States - $0.00

International services to use while in the US and abroad: Sprint Open World ℠ - $0.00

Fanfold Paper
Message 8 of 25 (280 Views)

Thank you rbkirk, identical BB revision as mine. Interesting if your new one will roam--I will bet not.

(have heard that Moto did not provide a complete BB modem support package to Sprint on late phones, who knows)

Also, the  "Open World" plan is no longer available.

I have Word Wide Roaming plan, see attached. Better plan actually if you need to make a call it is 20c/min, same free 1G data/texting.

Same plan works and roams fine(free data/texting) on Wife's Samsung. Saga continues, thanks for all help.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 9 of 25 (276 Views)

[ Edited ]

<image removed per user request>

Here's the SIM card for the MXP

Lenovo Employee
Message 10 of 25 (254 Views)

[ Edited ]

The SIMGLW446C part number from Sprint is exactly what I have had from the beginning in all of our Moto X 2015 Pure phones, going back to 2015

As of this date, Sprint support still says the Sprint Part SIMGLW446C, UPC code 019962040146 is the right one for a Moto X 2015 Pure edition, XT1575....at least via their technical support staff...

It is possible user ICdesign may get a different part number, as apparently Sprint is sending him a new SIM in the mail...and that would be very good to post here if they have revised the part number. Probably worthy of it's own thread if that is the case.

Also, thank you about the heads up on Open World not being available anymore...I checked on it, and it appears I should NOT change it, as it gives me about a gig of high speed data in Mexico for free. So, grandfathered in for now....

Top kudoed Authors