cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
ToddAllcock
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-18-2017
Location: US
Views: 18,967
Message 1 of 12

Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?

I have two X Pures on MM, and both exhibit the same issue. Unless I turn attentive display on, the screen times out in 15-20 seconds, regardless of how I set up the sleep time in Android settings. It's like the attentive display function never truly shuts off​- the quick time out part always stays running, and turning the attentive display on or off​ only determines if my face keeps the display awake.

 

The problem with this is that because I wear glasses, the device doesn't always "see" my face as a face, and the screen still sometimes times out even when looking right at the screen. (Plus, glasses or no glasses, the device never sees me in the dark making the device hard to use at night!)

 

I've tried hard resets, wiping the cache partition and disabling the Moto apps, but none of those have worked. How do I kill this "feature" entirely so the device just stays awake for whatever time I set in the stock Android display settings like any other Android phone does?

 

Thanks!

 

 

f38urry
WWAN
Posts: 1,938
Registered: ‎08-11-2010
Location: US
Views: 18,931
Message 2 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure where you are seeing an "attentive display" setting.

 

Have you gone to Settings > Display > Sleep and then specified which one of the seven possible numbers of seconds or minutes you'd prefer?

ToddAllcock
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-18-2017
Location: US
Views: 18,926
Message 3 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?


@f38urry wrote:

I'm not sure where you are seeing an "attentive display" setting.

 

Have you gone to Settings > Display > Sleep and then specified which one of the seven possible numbers of seconds or minutes you'd prefer?


Yes, of course. Sorry if I didn't make my question clear. The point is that no matter which of those options I set, the screen still times out in 15 seconds.

 

The attentive display settings are in the "Moto" app the Pure includes, which controls the Moto-added gestures, display, and voice options not included in stock Android. The problem is, even if I turn all of those off, the 15 second timeout stays.

 

Since the Moto app's Attentive display function turns the screen off when you're not looking at it, I'm assuming there's a bug that keeps the "turn off when not looking" part always on, and toggling the feature simply turns on and off the part that detects if you're looking at it or not, so "off" essentially justs turns off the face detection so the device thinks I'm never looking at the screen.

 

 

Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 17,317
Registered: ‎02-03-2016
Location: US
Views: 18,887
Message 4 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?


@ToddAllcock wrote:

@f38urry wrote:

I'm not sure where you are seeing an "attentive display" setting.

 

Have you gone to Settings > Display > Sleep and then specified which one of the seven possible numbers of seconds or minutes you'd prefer?


Yes, of course. Sorry if I didn't make my question clear. The point is that no matter which of those options I set, the screen still times out in 15 seconds.

 

The attentive display settings are in the "Moto" app the Pure includes, which controls the Moto-added gestures, display, and voice options not included in stock Android. The problem is, even if I turn all of those off, the 15 second timeout stays.

 

Since the Moto app's Attentive display function turns the screen off when you're not looking at it, I'm assuming there's a bug that keeps the "turn off when not looking" part always on, and toggling the feature simply turns on and off the part that detects if you're looking at it or not, so "off" essentially justs turns off the face detection so the device thinks I'm never looking at the screen.

 

 


The two settings -- Display Time Out and Attentive Display -- should work independently. So if you have Attentive Display on it should keep the screen on while you are looking at it, but if you set the phone down the screen should stay on for five minutes or three minutes or whatever you have the time out set to.

 

If that's not happening now, can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
ToddAllcock
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-18-2017
Location: US
Views: 18,869
Message 5 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?


@MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ToddAllcock wrote:

@f38urry wrote:

I'm not sure where you are seeing an "attentive display" setting.

 

Have you gone to Settings > Display > Sleep and then specified which one of the seven possible numbers of seconds or minutes you'd prefer?


Yes, of course. Sorry if I didn't make my question clear. The point is that no matter which of those options I set, the screen still times out in 15 seconds.

 

The attentive display settings are in the "Moto" app the Pure includes, which controls the Moto-added gestures, display, and voice options not included in stock Android. The problem is, even if I turn all of those off, the 15 second timeout stays.

 

Since the Moto app's Attentive display function turns the screen off when you're not looking at it, I'm assuming there's a bug that keeps the "turn off when not looking" part always on, and toggling the feature simply turns on and off the part that detects if you're looking at it or not, so "off" essentially justs turns off the face detection so the device thinks I'm never looking at the screen.

 

 


The two settings -- Display Time Out and Attentive Display -- should work independently. So if you have Attentive Display on it should keep the screen on while you are looking at it, but if you set the phone down the screen should stay on for five minutes or three minutes or whatever you have the time out set to.

 

If that's not happening now, can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up.


I probably should've mentioned in the original post that I'd tried that too, but I just tried it again for good measure. It still times out in 10-15 seconds, even in safe mode.  I'm stumped. Both of my X Pures do this (one is mine, one is my son's, both are logged into different Gmail accounts running a different set of third party apps), but if this was a widespread issue, I'd expect to see others online complaining about it, but I'm not seeing anyone else with this issue.

 

 

Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 17,317
Registered: ‎02-03-2016
Location: US
Views: 18,831
Message 6 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?


@ToddAllcock wrote:

@MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ToddAllcock wrote:

@f38urry wrote:

I'm not sure where you are seeing an "attentive display" setting.

 

Have you gone to Settings > Display > Sleep and then specified which one of the seven possible numbers of seconds or minutes you'd prefer?


Yes, of course. Sorry if I didn't make my question clear. The point is that no matter which of those options I set, the screen still times out in 15 seconds.

 

The attentive display settings are in the "Moto" app the Pure includes, which controls the Moto-added gestures, display, and voice options not included in stock Android. The problem is, even if I turn all of those off, the 15 second timeout stays.

 

Since the Moto app's Attentive display function turns the screen off when you're not looking at it, I'm assuming there's a bug that keeps the "turn off when not looking" part always on, and toggling the feature simply turns on and off the part that detects if you're looking at it or not, so "off" essentially justs turns off the face detection so the device thinks I'm never looking at the screen.

 

 


The two settings -- Display Time Out and Attentive Display -- should work independently. So if you have Attentive Display on it should keep the screen on while you are looking at it, but if you set the phone down the screen should stay on for five minutes or three minutes or whatever you have the time out set to.

 

If that's not happening now, can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up.


I probably should've mentioned in the original post that I'd tried that too, but I just tried it again for good measure. It still times out in 10-15 seconds, even in safe mode.  I'm stumped. Both of my X Pures do this (one is mine, one is my son's, both are logged into different Gmail accounts running a different set of third party apps), but if this was a widespread issue, I'd expect to see others online complaining about it, but I'm not seeing anyone else with this issue.

 

 


Yeah, you hit the nail on the head -- why just your two phones? 

 

At this point I would factory data reset one of the phones, and do not restore apps. See if that changes anything. 

 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
ToddAllcock
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎03-18-2017
Location: US
Views: 18,826
Message 7 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?


@MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ToddAllcock wrote:

@MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ToddAllcock wrote:

@f38urry wrote:

I'm not sure where you are seeing an "attentive display" setting.

 

Have you gone to Settings > Display > Sleep and then specified which one of the seven possible numbers of seconds or minutes you'd prefer?


Yes, of course. Sorry if I didn't make my question clear. The point is that no matter which of those options I set, the screen still times out in 15 seconds.

 

The attentive display settings are in the "Moto" app the Pure includes, which controls the Moto-added gestures, display, and voice options not included in stock Android. The problem is, even if I turn all of those off, the 15 second timeout stays.

 

Since the Moto app's Attentive display function turns the screen off when you're not looking at it, I'm assuming there's a bug that keeps the "turn off when not looking" part always on, and toggling the feature simply turns on and off the part that detects if you're looking at it or not, so "off" essentially justs turns off the face detection so the device thinks I'm never looking at the screen.

 

 


The two settings -- Display Time Out and Attentive Display -- should work independently. So if you have Attentive Display on it should keep the screen on while you are looking at it, but if you set the phone down the screen should stay on for five minutes or three minutes or whatever you have the time out set to.

 

If that's not happening now, can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up.


I probably should've mentioned in the original post that I'd tried that too, but I just tried it again for good measure. It still times out in 10-15 seconds, even in safe mode.  I'm stumped. Both of my X Pures do this (one is mine, one is my son's, both are logged into different Gmail accounts running a different set of third party apps), but if this was a widespread issue, I'd expect to see others online complaining about it, but I'm not seeing anyone else with this issue.

 

 


Yeah, you hit the nail on the head -- why just your two phones? 

 

At this point I would factory data reset one of the phones, and do not restore apps. See if that changes anything. 

 


That's​ what did it. When I hard reset before, I restored from backup, recreating whatever corruption caused the issue. Hard reset and rebuild the device from scratch solved the problem.

 

I used the same backup to restore both phones, so they both exhibited the issue.

 

Thanks for your help.

 

 

Highlighted
Cwats89
What's DOS?
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-03-2019
Location: US
Views: 4,462
Message 8 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?

I have the same exact problem with my Moto G6 play. I got it about a week ago and it's making me crazy. Absolutely ridiculous. Smiley Sad

f38urry
WWAN
Posts: 1,938
Registered: ‎08-11-2010
Location: US
Views: 4,436
Message 9 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?

Two year old thread for a completely different, obsolescent, phone.

Denee
Blue Screen Again
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-04-2019
Location: US
Views: 4,424
Message 10 of 12

Re: Screen times out too quickly- what am I doing wrong?

Mine also
Top Kudoed Authors