Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
le_NO_vo
Paper Tape
Views: 27,927
Message 1 of 344

8.1 Broke USB Transfer Capabilities

I updated my A1 Moto X4 to Android 8.1 yesterday, and now neither my Windows or Mac PC will recognize it. I literally can't transfer files off my phone, the most basic of functions. There have been many reports of this, can we get a response?

snic09
Punch Card
Views: 27,894
Message 2 of 344

Re: 8.1 Broke USB Transfer Capabilities

I have the same problem. I got the April 1 update to Android 8.1 this morning, and found that the Android Auto connection to my car's head unit doesn't work. The phone does charge, but in the Settings menu, the USB connection is listed as "not connected" and is greyed out. I also tried plugging the phone into 4 different PCs running different versions of Windows, and in all cases the USB connection just said "not connected" and Windows didn't recognize that a device had been plugged in. In all cases, the phone charged when plugged in. I've rebooted several times, run in safe mode, and tried two different cables that worked perfectly yesterday.

I chatted with Project Fi support, and they want me to do a hard reset. If that doesn't work, they said the next step is replacement under warranty. But I am suspicious that a replacement phone would just have exactly the same bug. This is clearly a software bug related to the April update. If software caused the problem, then software can fix it.

snic09
Punch Card
Views: 28,078
Message 3 of 344

Does USB connectivity work for you after April 1 Android 8.1 update?

A number of Moto X4 owners, including me, have reported that USB connectivity to their computers or Android Auto head units has stopped working after Android 8.1.0 was installed (April 1 security patch level). We can't transfer files or use any other USB functionality other than charging. I am curious to know if anyone received this update for their X4 and is NOT experiencing this issue. That would help to decide whether it makes sense to return the phone for a warranty replacement or just wait until Lenovo fixes this mess with another software update.

Thanks.

Audiphile
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,058
Message 4 of 344

Re: Does USB connectivity work for you after April 1 Android 8.1 update?

Mine does not work. I'm getting the runaround from Motorola, Google and Project Fi. I'm now requesting a replacement phone with the previous software version, because I need my USB connectivity. Wasted hours on the phone so far, very frustrating. (did you re-install the app? did you clear the cache? did you call Google? Sounds like application problem, call google.. ) Ugh. Thinking of getting an iPhone FOR THE FIRST TIME after 13 android phones. 

jwd1208
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,018
Message 5 of 344

Same issue here. The USB connectivity worked after every time I do a factory reset ( more than 10 times just wanna find out which app or which setting caused this) , however disabled after security settings. So I can confirm its a software problem caused by Moto. Hoping Moto can release a software update to solve it ASAP.

conkea4
Punch Card
Views: 28,013
Message 6 of 344

A resounding no from me. Not ADB, nor MTP,
nor RNDIS, nothing.
dhardeman
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 27,969
Message 7 of 344

Same here. No USB, no Android Auto. Worked perfectly before the update. It's obviously a software issue resulting from the update, but it seems that Lenovo/Motorola is giving everyone the run-around, rather than acknowledging and resolving the issue. I'm done with Android devices; it's always something. I'm going to sell my X4 and just buy an iPhone. They're ridiculously overpriced for what they are, but they just work; I won't have to worry that an untested update may disable key features of the phone.
conkea4
Punch Card
Views: 27,962
Message 8 of 344

"It's obviously a software issue resulting from the update, but it seems that Lenovo/Motorola is giving everyone the run-around, rather than acknowledging and resolving the issue. I'm done with Android devices; it's always something. I'm going to sell my X4 and just buy an iPhone."

As a long time (8 years running) Android user, I hate to say it, but I'm almost getting to the point of agreeing with you on that. Between the locking down of physical hardware by OEMs like "Lenovorola" and dependencies on Google Play services with respect to apps, how is it substantially different from Apple's "walled garden" approach at this point really? Sure there's alternative app repositories like F-Droid and others. Sure, there's also custom bootloaders and ROMs out there as well (but that requires a factory reset, rooting, and the data loss that comes with that). Maybe that might be related to Android Police's article titled "Motorola lays off up to half of Chicago engineering team, says Moto Z line will 'continue'" published 3/9/18. (This, coupled with "forgetting" to include the G4(/ Plus) in the announcement re: which devices would receive Oreo, this is beginning to strain credulity, imho)

I'd hoped that thanks to Google's "Project Trebble" that situations like this could be avoided post-Oreo, but it looks like that doesn't really seem to be the case.

Tidus79001
Punch Card
Views: 27,908
Message 9 of 344

The Moto x4 doesn't have Project treble support as I found that out when I looked into that last week. Very dismaying that Motorola didn't add it in the 8.1, and that being the case I doubt that they ever will.
Appley
Punch Card
Views: 27,892
Message 10 of 344

I made an account on here just for this issue, Google Fi support seems to think that I haven't already tried all the fixes they suggest, such as restarting the device, connecting the device with different cables, turning on developer options, enabling USB debugging.

I felt like they were just running me around in circles, even asking me to try to transfer a file "even though a notification to transfer may not appear, it still may be connected" somehow. I got so frustrated with the support that I just closed the window, I don't usually get upset enough to give up on a CSR because I get enough of that treatment myself, but I just felt like it wasn't going anywhere.

I got all excited for 4gb of RAM, 64gb of storage, and connecting to multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time when I was scoping out details about the prerelease Moto X4, then got let down by 3gb of ram, 32gb of storage, and plain ol Bluetooth that everyone has nowadays. Now this happens.

Please Lenovo/Motorola/Google, give us a hotfix, patch, anything. I need to be able to connect my computer to my phone. I hope that this won't take a month to push out something like I've come to expect of other device manufacturers. 

Top Kudoed Authors