Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X4
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

05-09-2018

United States of America

21 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 151 of 360

Re: 8.1 Broke USB Transfer Capabilities

2018-05-25, 2:14 AM

Going on 20 days now and not a peep aside from the not-actually-a-solution. I've pretty much lost faith that Motorola will hotfix this instead of just sitting on their hands and bundling it with next month's update.

Won't be going Motorola for my next phone after the way this has been handled.

Options

1 Posts

05-25-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 152 of 360

2018-05-25, 2:33 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to share my solution to this issue.  

As many of you I needed to tranfer over 9 GB worth of pictures and videos to my PC via USB to no avail.  

After reading this post I saw that disabling the screen lock would allow you bypass the PC not recognizing the device issue.  I thought that as a one shot deal it was a workaround that I was willing to try.  The idea being diable pattern lock, restart device, connect usb, tranfer files, re-enable pattern lock.  

Well doing the above worked and in fact after re-enabling the pattern lock (and restarting) the phone kept the USB connection functionalities.  With the added bonus that it returned the trusted places functionality to the smart lock options.  

Hope this helps you 

Sol

Options

12 Posts

04-13-2018

United States of America

53 Signins

465 Page Views

• Views: 465
  • Message 153 of 360

2018-05-25, 2:39 AM

I'm inclined to agree with you. I'd hoped that as part of the Android One program things like this could be avoided, but it would seem at least not for the devices made by Moto here. Also, as mentioned previously in the thread, for whatever reason, Moto decided not to implement the improvements from Project Treble that, one would think, would have made this issue avoidable in another manner. I'm also inclined to agree with another poster who's a fellow Fi customer that Google, by requiring a device purchase to switch to their network that they ought to be at least partially liable for this or should at a bare minimum, as the upstream devs of Android and carrier, have enough leverage over OEMs to turn the screws a bit until they release the update as a hotfix and ride them to meet the update period laid out in the Android One release cycle documentation.

@ Sol, just be aware, I've seen that reported as well, though as I'm aware should the device be rebooted with the security enabled, USB connections will be disabled as well.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'd encourage any US based users to check out repair.org and ride your reps about any digital right to repair laws in your jurisdiction. Maybe with enough legal pressure companies like Moto would provide info regarding updates, and other nice things like stock images, devices with unlocked bootloaders... ah who am I kidding, they won't. But one can dream.

Options

240 Posts

12-28-2014

United States of America

218 Signins

1873 Page Views

• Views: 1873
  • Message 154 of 360

2018-05-25, 14:27 PM
didnt work for me.
Options

65 Posts

05-05-2018

United States of America

187 Signins

1117 Page Views

• Views: 1117
  • Message 155 of 360

2018-05-25, 14:38 PM

Guys: Head on over to the Motorola FB page (https://www.facebook.com/MotorolaUS/) and start making some noise there.  Either post something new, and or click the "Posts" link on the left, and then "Visitor Posts" on the right and piggy back onto other posts about this issue.  Looks like we've got their attention for the moment, and we should take the opportunity to get the word out and pile on the pressure.

Let's create a PR nightmare for them!

Options

1 Posts

05-25-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 156 of 360

2018-05-25, 22:22 PM
Hey JM.

This is marked "solved", but I'm having a problem implementing the solution. Specifically, the solution you offer doesn't work.

Can you please detail the steps I need to solve this problem, since you've marked it solved?

Thanks!
Options

65 Posts

05-05-2018

United States of America

187 Signins

1117 Page Views

• Views: 1117
  • Message 157 of 360

2018-05-25, 22:32 PM

wrote:
Hey JM.

This is marked "solved", but I'm having a problem implementing the solution. Specifically, the solution you offer doesn't work.

Can you please detail the steps I need to solve this problem, since you've marked it solved?

Thanks!

checked out weeks ago! His resolution was his his last action, and he views himself as a super hero for doing as such, even though he nor Lenovo have done nothing, but pat themselves on the back for "resolving" this issue. I've PM'd him a couple times since he marked this solved and nothing. He doesn't care.

Options

240 Posts

12-28-2014

United States of America

218 Signins

1873 Page Views

• Views: 1873
  • Message 158 of 360

2018-05-26, 17:26 PM
lemon law time. companies like this need to be punished hard.
Options

6 Posts

05-11-2018

United States of America

20 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 159 of 360

2018-05-26, 17:53 PM

I spoke with Google Fi support (on the phone - the chat option is a waste of everyone's time, I have determined), and was swiftly granted a replacement new phone. She couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't already be updated to 8.1, but I figured I'd take my chances.

Further, she said that they (Fi) had received a notice from Motorola that the update was ready and would be included in the June update. Though she wouldn't give an exact date for the release, she said that the monthly OTAs typically go live during the first week of the month.

So that's the most specific information I've been able to get from a live person about when a fix would be forthcoming. Hope this helps.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 160 of 360

2018-05-26, 18:24 PM

wrote:

wrote:
Hey JM.

Thanks!

checked out weeks ago! His resolution was his his last action, and he views himself as a super hero for doing as such, even though he nor Lenovo have done nothing, but pat themselves on the back for "resolving" this issue. I've PM'd him a couple times since he marked this solved and nothing. He doesn't care.

Let's stop jumping off the deep end and stick to the few facts we have, okay?

1.  I don't know what you mean by "checked out," but Moto_JM is alive and well and still very much with us.

2.  You don't know what Moto_JM's most recent (not last) act was.

3.  JM is not an engineer.  He is a customer service representative.  Until the exact cause of the problem is pinned down, there's nothing he can do beyond providing the temporary workaround that he did, which may not, and to my knowledge does not, work for everyone.

4.  You don't know what Motorola has done to try and fix the problem.  

5.  If you really, truly, honestly think that JM and Moto are proud of this, patting themselves on the back for "resolving" the issue, then there's a bridge in Brooklyn, NY I'd like to sell you.

6.  I believe that JM's tag line is "please don't PM me with questions that belong in the forum."  If he has any proprietary information, he's not going to tell it to you, nor any other member of the forum.

7.  He cares a lot or he'd change jobs.  Nobody wakes up in the morning looking forward to getting beat up by their customers.  Nobody.

On a brighter note, please have a safe, happy, and healthy holiday!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms