Message 11 of 20

Re: 9.0 pie Update broke moto x4 usb transfer

Thanks for the reasoned reply!
edscott
Paper Tape
Views: 754
Message 12 of 20

Well, today USB transfer is in working order.

I decided to test with the USB cable that came with the phone, instead of the cable I had been using before.

Apparently the android 9 is quite sensitive with the voltage drop in the cable. If your cable has dirty connections or a amperage rating of less than 2.5amp, the OS will automatically determine that data transfer will not be faultless and will switch to charge-only mode.

That's my hypothesis today.

SRTie4k
Fanfold Paper
Views: 633
Message 13 of 20

Android 9.0 April Update USB transfer broken

Ever since the April update for Android 9.0 on the Moto X4, my USB transfer capability (that is, MTP transfer to Windows 10 PC) has been extremely wonky.

I have two cables, an AmazonBasics USB-C to USB-A 2.0 cable and an Anker Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A cable.

With Developer options "Default USB configuration" set to "No data transfer", the popup that normally occurs in the task tray when connected to PC no longer appears on on my primary work computer, and Moto X4 does not appear as a portable device on my computer in Device Manager. With the AmazonBasics cable that has worked for the past 3 months (since I bought this phone) now states "TurboPower connected" when plugging in to PC USB 2.0 port (TurboPower should NEVER engage with a USB 2.0 port). My other cable exhibits similar tendencies, although the TurboPower popup only appears occasionally.

Then, with Developer options "Default USB configuration" set to "File Transfer", when plugging into PC USB 2.0 port, now the phone often shows up as a device in Windows 10 Device Manager, but "TurboPower connected" pops up on the phone with BOTH cables. I am able to access local storage and SD card from Windows in this mode, but the fact that the phone says "TurboPower connected" is very disconcerting, as a USB 2.0 port will not provide more than 5V @ 500-1500mA (TurboPower, i.e. QuickCharge 2.0, requires much more voltage and amperage).

So in essence, the only way I can now connect to my Windows 10 computer to transfer files after the April update is by changing the Default USB configuration in Developer options to "File Transfer", the problem being that now the phone thinks the USB port is "TurboPower" capable, or at least pops the notification up indicating as much (whether the phone is actually drawing more than 5V or not, but I have no way of knowing that).

dave706
Fanfold Paper
Views: 552
Message 14 of 20

Have same problem, using same cable and Win10 PC that worked before Build PPW29.69-39-2.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 522
Message 15 of 20

Hi SRTie4kdave706,

Thanks for posting. Have you tried another PC running a different OS version? Try downloading the USB drivers on this link. Connect your device into your computer while it's on safe mode. (Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen > Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears). Swipe down the notification bar/panel, and let me know if you can see the options such as PTP, MTP, etc). 

Edit: Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. 
Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

LuisIsaac
What's DOS?
Views: 518
Message 16 of 20

Re: 8.1 Broke USB Transfer Capabilities

Hi!

I am on Android 9 version >> PPWS29.69-26-6, the latest.

Best regards

edscott
Paper Tape
Views: 503
Message 17 of 20

Seems like Windows software is borked with this USB issue. I reported that usb transfer was working with the original cable which came with my X4. But on the very next day it did not work and changing cables did not work. I just gave up. But today I plugged in an old Samsung that had always worked for usb transfer, and the same thing happened: nothing.

After disconnecting all extra usb items and leaving only the keyboard, mouse and two usb hubs in the thinkvision screens, I cold booted the windows 8.1. Once I plugged in the x4 with the original cable, Windows recognized the X4 and reinstalled drivers for the hubs and mouse.

And usb transfer for the moto x4 is working again.

I have been using a different cheapo cable to charge my bicycle light and this might be creating noise for windows and breaking things.  Either that or one of windows updates screws up drivers and does not reinstall them while still in use. I also had a usb hard drive, now disconnected, which could have contributed to the mess.

Probably safe to assume that it will stop working again somewhere down the line, since I am not fond of cold booting the machine.

dave706
Fanfold Paper
Views: 448
Message 18 of 20

Rich, thanks for the reply.  I tried safe mode and updated drivers, to no avail. Moto X4 would not show up on my WIN10 Surface. (it worked fine before Pie)

I did not see the options you mentioned on the notification pull down.

I went to USB options and set Use USB for PTP.  Phone showed up, but Music Directory on SDXC card did not.

I switched back to file transfer and everything showed up.  I disconnected and reconnected several times, sometimes the Moto showed up, sometimes not. Switching to PTP and back to File Transfer seems to work every time.  I still think there is a bug in 9.0, but this appears to be a workaround.

platelunch
Punch Card
Views: 424
Message 19 of 20

I used to work for a major semiconductor manufacturer on USB interfaces.  The USB interface is sensitive to timing and signal quality.  The USB Implementers Forum (USBIF) tries to ensure that users get good USB products that work well together by running a certification program.  But a manufacturer has to pass a bunch of tests and spend some money before they can be certified and get the official red and blue USB logo.  And of course, a LOT of manufacturers don't do this.  So some combinations of USB computers and cables work and some don't.

From my experience:

• Try switching USB cables if one doesn't work.  Quality cables make a difference but you can't tell just by looking.
  • Shorter cables tend to work better.
  • If you are using a desktop computer, the USB connectors on the back of the PC tend to work better than the ones on the front panel.
0Byron
Blue Screen Again
Views: 152
Message 20 of 20

Hi! I have the same problem running PPWS29 69-39-2-3. Does anyone have a solution? It was working good a cup of week ago with Oreo. It stop to work with Oreo I did all what they listed. I updated it to 9 pie, and the same thing. I can't transfer file. Just charging... I need help please!

Top Kudoed Authors