Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timberline5
Paper Tape
Views: 578
Message 1 of 11

Amazon apps won't load when connected to wifi

So, as the subject describes, I am unable to run any Amazon apps on my x4 when connected to wifi.

If I switch to cell network they do load.

Other devices connected to the same network do not have the same problem. My old Nexus 5x has no issues, as well as my wife's pixel 2.

I do run a openwrt router, but switched back to my isp provided vanilla router to check if it was a network issue. The issue persists.

I've done the usual clear app caches, reinstall. I have not done a factory reset since that is quite time consuming.

Another interesting point, I can access amazon.com in the chrome browser, but not in firefox browser.

I've seen other posts like these in the forums but no real information.

My phone is a google fi model, and the problem started in october. I started using the phone in september.

Any way to fix this issue?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 542
Message 2 of 11

Re: Amazon apps won't load when connected to wifi

Hi timberline5,

Quite odd. Do you have the same issue on these apps when you try to connect to other wifi networks? Can you give sample affected Amazon apps?

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

ChadRei
Paper Tape
Views: 442
Message 3 of 11

I am having the same issue. 

I am running a brand new, Moto X4, unlocked. All other apps work except the two amazon apps that I use: Amazon Shopping and Amazon Music. Both apps begin to open, but then freeze. The Amazon Music app ocassionally posts a "Webpage not available" error.

If I use them on LTE cell, no prob. On wifi, this always happens.

I'm running a Netgear Orbi mesh wifi at home. None of my other devices experience this issue.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 389
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, we just wanted to confirm if you are having any trouble with the apps not working on the WiFi still? If yes, could you help us with additional information as requested below so that we could work on the same:

1. What specific Apps did not work? (If you have not mentioned yet which Apps not working on WiFi yet.)

2. The Wifi Router name & model.

3. A confirmation if changing the MTU size helped to solve the problem.

4. Which other Moto device (if have) worked fine.

5. Security used on the router (WEP, WPA/WPA2, etc)

6. The band used on the router (2.4 or 5ghz)

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

Matt5370
What's DOS?
Views: 332
Message 5 of 11

Hello, I'm having the same problem. I have a new unlocked Moto X4.

My Amazon Shopping App won't load over WiFi, but works fine via mobile data. I've had the same problem at three different locations/WiFi networks. 

adobeboxer
Paper Tape
Views: 269
Message 6 of 11

I have the same problem. Since the security updates installed, I cannot connect to any Amazon site via app or web browser. That includes audible, Kindle, twitchtv, and Amazon. Twitter is the only other site that I have problems with. This is a new unlocked Moto x4 and all those sites worked fine the two days before I downloaded the security updates. I have factory reset several times. I've cleared caches and nothing works for these sites on wifi at home or at work. They work fine on mobile signal. Have you received any answers from Motorola?

soulnull
Paper Tape
Views: 118
Message 7 of 11

In your openwrt router, go into "network", "firewall", and ensure that "MSS clamping" is enabled for your LAN interface. I'm fairly certain we are all having the same issue, but this resolved it for me. I'm using an LTE connection on my home router, which is sensitive to MTU issues, as is DSL.. if you're using either of these to power your wifi, then this is almost certainly your issue. Cable can be affected as well if the frame size isn't set properly by the ISP.

This isn't a fix (it's known bug in Pie, supposedly being worked on by Google), but it'll mitigate the issue on your local network in the meantime. This workaround basically forces a uniform frame size across the entire network instead of letting the device set it's own (which pie is currently not doing correctly)

As for others who don't have an openwrt based router, I'm sorry, I don't know how to do the workaround on yours. I suggest googling your router name with "MSS clamping" to see if you can find something. Best of luck.

adobeboxer
Paper Tape
Views: 84
Message 8 of 11

All of the Amazon associated apps(twitch, audible, shopping, music)  and those sites don't work in a browser on wifi on any router. And I cant go around messing with the router for all of the different WiFi that I come in contact. It's the stupid phone and it is really irritating. Twitter and pjmedia sites won't load on wifi either. Every other phone and computer do not have this problem in my house or work or business WiFi that I have used. It's this stupid phone!!!!!!!!!!!

soulnull
Paper Tape
Views: 80
Message 9 of 11

Very frustrating, I totally get it. Hopefully Google pushes out a fix in the next patch so Motorola can resolve it. Also, you mentioned twitch... Which is an Amazon owned site as well... So that's interesting. I didn't have Amazon issues when I was having problems. On my end, twitter comments wouldn't load. Uploading files on Discord was broken. Imgur wouldn't load... This is definitely a major MTU/MSS issue for Android Pie devices. Really should have already been fixed by Google. It's not the phone, it's Android... Read this:

https://www.valuewalk.com/2019/01/android-pie-bug-netflix-internet-wifi/amp/

This is a much more major problem than just the Moto X4.... Which at least means it should be resolved soonish..

Edit: did some digging.. Google fixed it in the March patch, so when Motorola eventually releases the March patch, it'll be resolved. Hope this helps.

adobeboxer
Paper Tape
Views: 61
Message 10 of 11

Thanks for the info. Sorry I don't know enough about phones to know what I'm doing. But is very maddening to pay for something, have it not work and get no help from the people who made. Thank you for giving me a little hope of some help.

Top Kudoed Authors