Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snic09
Punch Card
Views: 722
Message 121 of 128

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

@MikeHayes43 wrote:

I bought 3 of these phones in the Amazon Prime config and all 3 do not work.  

I'm curious when you purchased the phones. I have a theory that it's not just the 9 update that is screwing up AA functionality. Rather, the USB-C connector on the phone gets loose and/or dirty over time. A solid cable connection is essential for AA to work. Maybe Android 9 somehow makes AA even more sensitive to connection problems.

Granted, the fact that all 3 of your phones show the issue argues against this. Even stronger would be if you just bought these phones and they all have problems right out of the box.

MikeHayes43
Fanfold Paper
Views: 721
Message 122 of 128

All 3 DID have problems right out of the box, I bought my wife, my father and I all the same phone.  It was in January so I was able to update straight to pie in all 3 cases.  Android auto has not worked correctly on any of them, constant crashes.

snic09
Punch Card
Views: 719
Message 123 of 128

Thanks. That's pretty good evidence. It's hard to completely rule out that other factors play some additional role, but from this thread and other internet sources it's pretty clear that the Pie update has a pretty good chance of screwing up AA. Which means that I'll continue to reject the update no matter how many times the nag notice pops up.

xandey
Punch Card
Views: 705
Message 124 of 128

@snic09 wrote:

Thanks. That's pretty good evidence. It's hard to completely rule out that other factors play some additional role, but from this thread and other internet sources it's pretty clear that the Pie update has a pretty good chance of screwing up AA. Which means that I'll continue to reject the update no matter how many times the nag notice pops up.

I haven't personally seen any correlation between upgrades and this connection issue. There was a problem where one of the upgrades completely disabled USB data, but that was fixed. Otherwise this connection issue has started when I got the phone and never changed with any updates. My guess is that it happens based on some combination of car and phone hardware. Maybe changing cars helps, maybe changing connectors helps. Hard to say. Those cables help for me, but I still get disconnects on long trips (2-3+hours) but it's OK on my commute (50m).

X4BrokeByLenovo
What's DOS?
Views: 533
Message 125 of 128

Android auto disconnect work around , toggle USB setting

I switched to a cable from Google, no luck and did many other things.  What I found today is when Android Auto disconnects if I go to the phone and click the USB notification and then click on file transfer, AA reconnects.  The file transfer it then toggled off.  This means that Lenovo was messing around and broke the software.  What I did was just a software toggle.  A similar thing happened before and eventually the vendor actually looked into it and fixed the extra security stuff around usb they broke.  If others confirm this work around then it may be help them fix it.

boarbrush
Punch Card
Views: 521
Message 126 of 128

Why is this thread marked as SOLVED???? This issue is still there with Moto X4. I need all moto agents to get with the program and resolve issues rather than ignoring them. 

skiingyac1
Paper Tape
Views: 311
Message 127 of 128

Right, DEFINITELY not solved.  I am now trying the rampow cable but have tried several others.  What I've actually found is that AA seems to work most reliably when the phone has a good charge (70+%).  It almost never works when the charge is 25% if less.  I've also noticed that if I leave it locked, so that the phone won't connect via USB and AA doesn't even attempt to connect, the phone will not stay charging for very long (15s or so).  It also displays "turbo power connected" each time it cycles.  My car has a 2.5A port while turbo power I believe requires 3A.  Is it possible that the x4 is improperly negotiating the charging current and over-drawing which triggers the car to disconnect briefly (car engineers are known to read and follow specs carefully)?  When the phone is more fully charged, turbo power stays under 12 or so watts, which would explain why I see more issues when it the battery is low.  If the phone is violating the USB spec, that's not good.

Highlighted
Duane11
What's DOS?
Views: 176
Message 128 of 128

Buying the recommended new cables did not resolve this issue for me. 

Everything works fine with my PIxel 2 but the Moto X4 drops the connection within seconds repeatedly.

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors