cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
goatboy
Paper Tape
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 966
Message 31 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

I'm having the same issue on an aftermarket radio.  It's a JVC KW-M730BT.

D_R_R
Paper Tape
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎07-06-2018
Location: US
Views: 923
Message 32 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

Same issue since day 1. Never got to try it before upgrading to 8.0, hoped 8.1 would fix it .Nope.  Many different cables and settings on/off. 2017 Subaru Impreza .

Krozar
SCSI Port
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎05-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 873
Message 33 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

Well, I'm back.  Project Fi has refused my request to process a full refund, so I'm apparently stuck.  So time to make more noise.  I just got home from an 800+ mile roadtrip, and it SUCKED having my Android Auto crash all the time on my 2017 F-150 Sync 3.  Where is the fix now?  I'm 2.5 months into these USB issues since I got the initial 8.1 update at the end of APRIL!

 

Lenovo still showing their lack of urgency and compentency in software develompent.  Is a fix going to be available in the July (June security, I assume) update?  Is there even going to be a July update, btw?

 

I need some solid answers.

Krozar
SCSI Port
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎05-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 864
Message 34 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2


@Krozar wrote:

Well, I'm back.  Project Fi has refused my request to process a full refund, so I'm apparently stuck.  So time to make more noise.  I just got home from an 800+ mile roadtrip, and it SUCKED having my Android Auto crash all the time on my 2017 F-150 Sync 3.  Where is the fix now?  I'm 2.5 months into these USB issues since I got the initial 8.1 update at the end of APRIL!

 

Lenovo still showing their lack of urgency and compentency in software develompent.  Is a fix going to be available in the July (June security, I assume) update?  Is there even going to be a July update, btw?

 

I need some solid answers.


Whelp, I just called Motorolla to request a refund, and spoke to a "Control Unit" manager named Ashley.  Long story short, they really wanted me to do some trouble-shooting with their level 3 support,as they believe they can fix it without a software update.  But before I agreed to do that, I asked them to promise me a full refund if those TS steps failed to produce a fix.  She sought approval from a higher level manager, but they refused.  Which shows they are not willing to put their money where their mouth is.  I, in turn, refused to help them out with any further information.  Time to get serious about purchasing a Pixel.

 

I will be watching for any class action suits over this fiasco, and will promptly jump on board as soon as I can.

 

You just blew a big chance, Lenovo.  For those of you still wondering if Lenovo has your back... you just got your answer.

Krozar
SCSI Port
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎05-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 783
Message 35 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2


@Krozar wrote:

@Krozar wrote:

Well, I'm back.  Project Fi has refused my request to process a full refund, so I'm apparently stuck.  So time to make more noise.  I just got home from an 800+ mile roadtrip, and it SUCKED having my Android Auto crash all the time on my 2017 F-150 Sync 3.  Where is the fix now?  I'm 2.5 months into these USB issues since I got the initial 8.1 update at the end of APRIL!

 

Lenovo still showing their lack of urgency and compentency in software develompent.  Is a fix going to be available in the July (June security, I assume) update?  Is there even going to be a July update, btw?

 

I need some solid answers.


Whelp, I just called Motorolla to request a refund, and spoke to a "Control Unit" manager named Ashley.  Long story short, they really wanted me to do some trouble-shooting with their level 3 support,as they believe they can fix it without a software update.  But before I agreed to do that, I asked them to promise me a full refund if those TS steps failed to produce a fix.  She sought approval from a higher level manager, but they refused.  Which shows they are not willing to put their money where their mouth is.  I, in turn, refused to help them out with any further information.  Time to get serious about purchasing a Pixel.

 

I will be watching for any class action suits over this fiasco, and will promptly jump on board as soon as I can.

 

You just blew a big chance, Lenovo.  For those of you still wondering if Lenovo has your back... you just got your answer.


Aaaand my new Pixel 2 XL just arrived.  Voting with my wallet complete.  I hope you crash and burn, someday, Lenovo.

 

To those still left dealing with Lenovo's garbage... I wish the best of luck to you - we all know you're going to need it.

Delvin
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-22-2018
Location: US
Views: 755
Message 36 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

I feel your pain on the F-150 and the disconnects! I messaged Project Fi twice a day everyday for 5 days straight before I made progress. They actually refunded my money even though they said they wouldn't originally. Did you buy the Moto X4 directly from Fi or was it a replacement for a different device (e.g. Nexus 5x)?

Mike0001
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎05-09-2018
Location: US
Views: 741
Message 37 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

Well I'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone else but my issue seem to be resolved (fingers crossed).  I have gone over a week commuting 2 hours each day ( 1 hour each way) and have not had any disconnects.  Previously it was rare that I could complete an entire 1 hr trip without at least 1 disconnect.  My issue also was prior to the break/fix usb updates and didn't seem to be any different/worse after the May fix.

 

  For me it appears to be a new cable that fixed it.  I had tried several other cables (including brand new ones)  and so thought I had ruled out the cable.  In this case I it just happened that my wife stole my cable one day and I and picked up a random one lying around and voila -- problem solved.

 

Unfortunately I cannot see any identifying marks on the cable (solid grey seems well built) so I don't know where it came from or how to tell anyone else which cable to try.  My car is a 2017 Chevy Cruze and does not have a usb-c header so the cable is usb2 to usb-c type. I'm wondering if android auto is just really finicky about the exact fit of the cable or something so it may be dependant on a cable making a really solid connection or something.  Don't know just glad I found this "magic" cable.  If i get unlucky and the problem happens again I will post back here to let others know.

 

Krozar
SCSI Port
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎05-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 727
Message 38 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2


@Delvin wrote:

I feel your pain on the F-150 and the disconnects! I messaged Project Fi twice a day everyday for 5 days straight before I made progress. They actually refunded my money even though they said they wouldn't originally. Did you buy the Moto X4 directly from Fi or was it a replacement for a different device (e.g. Nexus 5x)?


I did purchase directly from Project Fi.  I called them and spoke to a manager, who lobbied to her management on my behalf, but they still refused to give me a full refund.  I was so dissapointed that they chose to standy behind Lenovo instead of a paying customer, that my wife I switched to Verizon a couple of days later.

 

It appears I'm now out $400 on a phone that was really very good until their coders messed up, and they failed to prioritize and fix it in a timely manner.  This was 100% avoidable in a number of steps along the way, and they failed every one of those steps.

 

Bad devepment, bad testing, bad PR, bad support, bad prioritization, bad, bad, and bad... all around.

Krozar
SCSI Port
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎05-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 698
Message 39 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

Okay, so I think I understand better, maybe, how we got here. And it took playing again with a Pixel device to realize the larger mis-step Lenovo has taken. I'm going to outline what I've observed, and then go into my theory. The unfortunate part for the rest of the users still dealing with various bugs, is that it's likely going to require Lenovo scrapping some of their philosophy, which based on how they've responded to the bugs so far, seems like a bit of a stretch. This may mean that Moto/Lenovo users are in for an endless string of new bugs being released month after month after month. *Cringe*

 

Background: Before I bought my X4, I had an original Pixel XL. It was *almost* perfect, and the almost part is what proved fatal in my decision to trade it in for the X4. 2 things swayed my decision, and they both seemed reasonable. First, the Pixel devices do not have a SD card slot, so there was no way for me to gain more than the built in 32GB of storage (which was like 26 usable, or something). The X4 obviously has an SD card slot, so that was a win. The second: I'd had my Pixel for about a year. Project Fi was offering $400 trade-in on it, and with the X4 being $400, it was a straight swap. This would allow my to get into a newer device for free, and perhaps get me to Oct. '18, when the next line of Pixel devices would be expected to be released. Or maybe I'd find the Android One experience to be pretty sweet, and I'd spring for those going forward. We all know how that's panned out for me.

 

Observation #1: So when we started talking about the bug, I had forgotten this observation, but remembered it after observation #2 below. When I got my X4 and I plugged it into my F-150 Sync 3, I noticed the Android Auto did not fire up right away. What I quickly found was that I had to unluck the phone before Android Auto would fire up. This wasn't the case with my original Pixel XL. I simply needed to plug it in, and AA would launch without needing to unlock my phone. I went along with life, got in the habit of unlocking my X4 whenever I plugged it in, and apparently forgot this observation along the way.

 

Observation #2: As mentioned before, I have purchased a Pixel 2 XL. I plugged it into my F-150 for the first time this morning, and guess what? You guessed it. No device unlock needed for AA to launch. This is how Google designed AA to work, and how they've coded Android to work.

 

So what does this mean? It means, that Google coded Android to not require a phone unlock to launch AA. It also means that Moto/Lenovo has, for whatever reason, decided to add code which requires the phone to be unlocked before AA is allowed to launch. This is the root of our issues. I don't know if this decision was made out of being overly security cautious, or what. But I believe this is what's led us to where we are today.

 

I actually think someone in the infamous first thread mentioned seeing something in one of his bug logs that he generated early on for JM, as he mentioned seeing errors related to USB security. I don't think he realized exactly what he was looking at, though.

 

So basically, it appears that Lenovo has gotten a little overzealous with their coding liberties, and monkied with the Android code. Which is telling, as the Android One devices were intended to be a pure Android experience, save for maybe a couple of extra apps the manufacturer could add. In this example, however, they've done more than just a handful of apps... they've changed something in the Android code to cause their devices to require an unlocked before AA can launch, deviating from the original code and intent of Google. This is no longer pure Android, as advertised. Those of you talking with lawyers about a possible class action suite - take note.

 

As I stated above, unless Lenovo scraps this practice, I think it's users are in for a long, frustrating haul.

abatishchev
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎05-31-2018
Location: US
Views: 674
Message 40 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

I drive 2017 Hyundai Tucson and face this issue daily.

Sometimesit works fine. But if started disconnecting it will disconnect faster and faster, and then work for now time, connect and disconnect immidiately. No settings or cables changes help, neither does soft or cool reboot. This is very, very, VERY frustrating. I would smash my phone with a hammer if that would anyhow help.

I talked to Project Fi support, they refused to issue the full refund (because reasons). But agreeed to exchange with a new phones which "will be thoughtfully tested". LOL. The only option I see now is so hot upgrade it to the June security patch.

What I don't understand is why weeks after weeks after weeks there is no progress?

Top Kudoed Authors