Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abatishchev
Fanfold Paper
Views: 834
Message 41 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

Does the June "security" patch fix this issue?

D_R_R
Paper Tape
Views: 815
Message 42 of 112

Just got the June patch opw28.3 last night and can confirm it does NOT address this issue. 

abatishchev
Fanfold Paper
Views: 785
Message 43 of 112

I can confirm this as well. June patch DOES NOT address this issue. Why??

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 723
Message 44 of 112

Hello guys,

I actually have someone trying to duplicate this concern but have not been able to so far. In this regard, can you share a snapshot or video showing the cable you are using, the port on the phone, the port where you plug the phone into your car and the actual disconnect? I know this is quite challenging since, as you all mentioned, the disconnect occurs randomly. However, this will greatly help our product team. Also, please make sure that you use the USB cable that came in the box with the phone. 

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

xandey
Punch Card
Views: 711
Message 45 of 112

@Agent_JM wrote:

I actually have someone trying to duplicate this concern but have not been able to so far. In this regard, can you share a snapshot or video showing the cable you are using, the port on the phone, the port where you plug the phone into your car and the actual disconnect? I know this is quite challenging since, as you all mentioned, the disconnect occurs randomly. However, this will greatly help our product team. Also, please make sure that you use the USB cable that came in the box with the phone. 

I have uploaded photos of everything except the error disconnect. I will attempt to get the disconnect tomorrow. Once it does it once it usually does it again more reliably. The disconnects actually look exactly like cable disconnects from the GTI infotainments screen, so I've captured that screen as well for illustration purposes.

VW GTI 2016: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KVYsafx9SKLGpPYDA

D_R_R
Paper Tape
Views: 701
Message 46 of 112

No pics needed. If you "use the USB cable that came in the box with the phone" you know what it looks like . "the port on the phone" same thing, it's a Moto x4 USB  port. "the port where you plug the phone into your car" again pretty standard USB port you see every day. Not sure of other folks, but "the actual disconnect" if you actually wait long enough for it to pop up is just red screen showing error 12. Hard to even call it random as it happens every time I use AA, the only random bit is if it'll last 5 min or maybe 10. 

xandey
Punch Card
Views: 695
Message 47 of 112

@D_R_R do you want to get this fixed or not? They are having trouble following our directions to figure out what's going on. I don't see the same thing as you, and the developers probably don't either. It sounds pretty easy to take a video and show them the things they asked for especially if ti only takes 10 minutes to re-create. They are probably checking to see if you've crushed your USB cable some how which is why they want to see it.

Krozar
SCSI Port
Views: 684
Message 48 of 112

@xandey wrote:

@D_R_R do you want to get this fixed or not? They are having trouble following our directions to figure out what's going on. I don't see the same thing as you, and the developers probably don't either. It sounds pretty easy to take a video and show them the things they asked for especially if ti only takes 10 minutes to re-create. They are probably checking to see if you've crushed your USB cable some how which is why they want to see it.

This definitely isn't a crushed cable issue, as others, including myself, have reported the same issue.  I've since switched to a Pixel 2 XL, and am using the same cable I was before in my F-150, and all works flawlessly.  This is clearly a software bug.  The request to see cables/ports/etc in use is a common response when the ones responsible for introducing the issue don't fully understand their own code/product/technology, and don't know where to begin to find the root of the issue.  Thus they desperately fish for anything else to blame in hopes that it will get them off the hook.  I've worked in IT for 20 years, so I've seen my fair share of this type of response/request.  Ultimately, someone is finally able to gather enough hard data to prove it's not an environmental issue and leaves the originally accused party on the hook to find a fix.

I've offered my observations in post 39, and proposed a fix.  I find it telling, but not surprising, that Lenovo has not responded to that post.  They're obviously proud of the extra USB "security" they've added, so they're not willing to strip it out.  At some point, if you can't understand and find the bugs (much less fix them) you're imposing on your users, someone needs to make the call to strip it out.  3 months is apparently not long enough for a development manager to make that call.  So everyone is stuck sitting around waiting to see how long it has to go before that call is made. Hence the reason I moved back to a truly pure Android device.

D_R_R
Paper Tape
Views: 657
Message 49 of 112

Yes, I would like this fixed. But... to waste time asking for pictures of the cable and ports is not the way to fix it. I can confirm that my old shattered screen nextbit robin works just fine with stock nougat and rooted lineage os Oreo firmware along with using any of the 6 different (some on "approved" list some not) USB c cables that I have. So the problem is the x4 not the cable, car USB port or car infotainment system. Sure, I could just root the x4 and go that route, but for some reason motonovo has not posted an official copy of the factory image for anyone to go back to stock if they so choose. 

xandey
Punch Card
Views: 628
Message 50 of 112

@Agent_JM I've had one crash, but it was different from before. I got communication error 12 and have uploaded a photo to my earlier shared folder. I'm still waiting for a restart and have commuted to work and back twice. I'm surprised it's goin this long.

I did blow in my USB connector (to take a clear photo of it) and started using the factory cable instead of the one supplied with my previous nexus 5x. I feel kinda like maybe it's the old NES game system problem where you could blow in your cartirdge and fix the problem. I have borrowed a dashcam and pointed it at the infotainment and will upload a video when the reset occurs. If the video isn't high enough quality I can borrow a go pro and try in a week and a half.

Top Kudoed Authors