Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mustang1068
What's DOS?
Views: 712
Message 51 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

I am having same issue - no update has helped so far. Mine seems to be almost entirely related to the charge reaching 100% - when charge reaches 100%, it disconnects and screen shows communication error 12 (which means it constantly disconnects in the morning and the charge constantly bounces around 100% during my drive). Is there a workaround for this issue while we are waiting for a fix?

Pioneer AVH-4100NEX
Moto X4  retailus - OPW 28.3

Krozar
SCSI Port
Views: 704
Message 52 of 112

@mustang1068 wrote:

I am having same issue - no update has helped so far. Mine seems to be almost entirely related to the charge reaching 100% - when charge reaches 100%, it disconnects and screen shows communication error 12 (which means it constantly disconnects in the morning and the charge constantly bounces around 100% during my drive). Is there a workaround for this issue while we are waiting for a fix?

Pioneer AVH-4100NEX
Moto X4  retailus - OPW 28.3

None that's been reported, other than to use a different phone.

Bumble_Grumble
Fanfold Paper
Views: 651
Message 53 of 112

Hi all.  Add me to the list of users with this issue.  I have a 2018 Subaru Impreza and a 2-week-old Moto X4 purchased directly from Motorola's website.  I've used the included USB-C to USB-A 2.0 cable, an Amazon Basics cable of the same type, and an Anker Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A 3.0 (3 ft) cable.  All cables result in AA closing on the dashboard screen after about 5-20 minutes.  The phone either displays communication error 12 or nothing of note (AA behaves like it is still connected to the car).  Strangely enough, the Anker cable performs the worst.  The AA icon on the dashboard goes live for a few seconds, then goes back to being disabled.  Occasionally, I get a message on the dash saying that communication with the USB device is lost and I should unplug and re-plug the device.  That doesn't fix anything.

In most cases, I have to unplug the phone, force stop AA, and plug it back in.  But, it's not really worth the effort since it will just disconnect/die again.

I only used the phone a few times in the car before getting the latest update (build OPW28.3 / Motorola version OPW28.46-21).  It did disconnect before the update, but I didn't see it as a major issue.  It was this past weekend, when I took a road trip and wanted to use Google Maps and listen to Spotify and Google Play Music, where I noticed is was an ongoing issue.  My previous phone (Moto X 2nd gen) was way more reliable (but not 100%) than this one.

I have tried the following suggestions, which did not improve the situation.

• USB debug mode in developer options
  • Turn off battery optimization for AA, Google app, and nav apps (Google Maps & Waze)
  • Use different cables (see above)
  • Uninstall AA, forget phone and car in the Bluetooth settings of both, reinstall AA, connect to car and configure.

I'm hoping a solution, or at least a root cause, for this issue is found.  Let me know if I can provide any information to help.

Krozar
SCSI Port
Views: 645
Message 54 of 112

@Bumble_Grumble wrote:

Hi all.  Add me to the list of users with this issue.  I have a 2018 Subaru Impreza and a 2-week-old Moto X4 purchased directly from Motorola's website.  I've used the included USB-C to USB-A 2.0 cable, an Amazon Basics cable of the same type, and an Anker Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A 3.0 (3 ft) cable.  All cables result in AA closing on the dashboard screen after about 5-20 minutes.  The phone either displays communication error 12 or nothing of note (AA behaves like it is still connected to the car).  Strangely enough, the Anker cable performs the worst.  The AA icon on the dashboard goes live for a few seconds, then goes back to being disabled.  Occasionally, I get a message on the dash saying that communication with the USB device is lost and I should unplug and re-plug the device.  That doesn't fix anything.

In most cases, I have to unplug the phone, force stop AA, and plug it back in.  But, it's not really worth the effort since it will just disconnect/die again.

I only used the phone a few times in the car before getting the latest update (build OPW28.3 / Motorola version OPW28.46-21).  It did disconnect before the update, but I didn't see it as a major issue.  It was this past weekend, when I took a road trip and wanted to use Google Maps and listen to Spotify and Google Play Music, where I noticed is was an ongoing issue.  My previous phone (Moto X 2nd gen) was way more reliable (but not 100%) than this one.

I have tried the following suggestions, which did not improve the situation.

• USB debug mode in developer options
  • Turn off battery optimization for AA, Google app, and nav apps (Google Maps & Waze)
  • Use different cables (see above)
  • Uninstall AA, forget phone and car in the Bluetooth settings of both, reinstall AA, connect to car and configure.

I'm hoping a solution, or at least a root cause, for this issue is found.  Let me know if I can provide any information to help.

Return your phone for a full refund, while you're still inside the return window!  This is part of an ongoing issue that started 3 months ago (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X4/8-1-Broke-USB-Transfer-Capabilities/td-p/4066182), with very little response from Lenovo.  Take your money elsewhere!

Bumble_Grumble
Fanfold Paper
Views: 636
Message 55 of 112

Doing it now. I thought I was past the window already. Fortunately, I was wrong. I'm really disappointed. I loved my Moto X 2nd gen, and the Moto X4 has been great, with this one glaring exception. And, the replacement will probably cost quite a bit more.
Krozar
SCSI Port
Views: 631
Message 56 of 112

@Bumble_Grumble wrote:
Doing it now. I thought I was past the window already. Fortunately, I was wrong. I'm really disappointed. I loved my Moto X 2nd gen, and the Moto X4 has been great, with this one glaring exception. And, the replacement will probably cost quite a bit more.

It really was a pretty good phone until they tried their hand at 8.1.  That's when we started seeing what their support was like, and it's only gone downhill from there.

Good luck on your search for a replacement device. They're more money, but I recommend the Pixel devices.  My $0.02.

Bumble_Grumble
Fanfold Paper
Views: 566
Message 57 of 112

@Krozar

It really was a pretty good phone until they tried their hand at 8.1.  That's when we started seeing what their support was like, and it's only gone downhill from there.

Good luck on your search for a replacement device. They're more money, but I recommend the Pixel devices.  My $0.02.

I know.  I was so happy when I saw the price on the Moto X4 and the reviews were mostly positive, saying it's not top of the line but still a good device.  My Pixel 2 is supposed to arrive tomorrow.  A bit more than I wanted to spend, but AA is a must-have for me.

Has anyone tried, or considered, rooting the phone and using Cyanogenmod or something similar?  If it's an issue with the Motorola software, that should fix it.  If I wasn't going to be able to return it, that was my next move.

Krozar
SCSI Port
Views: 562
Message 58 of 112

@Bumble_Grumble wrote:

I know.  I was so happy when I saw the price on the Moto X4 and the reviews were mostly positive, saying it's not top of the line but still a good device.  My Pixel 2 is supposed to arrive tomorrow.  A bit more than I wanted to spend, but AA is a must-have for me.

Has anyone tried, or considered, rooting the phone and using Cyanogenmod or something similar?  If it's an issue with the Motorola software, that should fix it.  If I wasn't going to be able to return it, that was my next move.

That would be an interesting thing to try, for sure.

snowbeer
Paper Tape
Views: 534
Message 59 of 112

I got mine to start kind of working again.  My significant others stopped working however.  There appears to be something in 8.1 that changed the robustness of the phone dealing with poor usb data connections.

I blew my port out with compressed air and used a toothpick in the slot.  Now it works 70% of the time, instead of 0%.  I am looking for something smaller that I can soak with alcohol to see if that improves it. I can tell not all data is transferred. For example, Waze sometimes now fails to load the map on the Android auto screen.

Bumble_Grumble
Fanfold Paper
Views: 521
Message 60 of 112

@snowbeer wrote:

I got mine to start kind of working again.  My significant others stopped working however.  There appears to be something in 8.1 that changed the robustness of the phone dealing with poor usb data connections.

I blew my port out with compressed air and used a toothpick in the slot.  Now it works 70% of the time, instead of 0%.  I am looking for something smaller that I can soak with alcohol to see if that improves it. I can tell not all data is transferred. For example, Waze sometimes now fails to load the map on the Android auto screen.

Are you having trouble getting it to connect at all?  Or, does it work for 5, 10, or even 20 minutes, and then drop?  That's what happens to me.

Top Kudoed Authors