cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
mustang1068
What's DOS?
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-23-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,840
Message 71 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

I got the OPWS 28.3.1 update and a new cable around the same time, so not sure which helped, but it is no longer disconnecting for me. I bought this USB 3.0 cable and I have yet to have it disconnect even once in the past week (used every day). I wonder if some cables just can't handle the charging demand on top of the data transfer. (either that or they snuck some unadvertised fix into 28.3.1)


abatishchev
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎05-31-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,809
Message 72 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

How this can be related to a cable if the same cable had 0 disconnects prior to the 8.1 update and stops working afterwards? Moreover, the same cable worked fine with Nexus 5X, regardless the OS version, which included 8.1 as well? Isn't all this a sign of a mess-up by Lenovo/Motorola?

xandey
Punch Card
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎05-04-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,806
Message 73 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2


@abatishchev wrote:

How this can be related to a cable if the same cable had 0 disconnects prior to the 8.1 update and stops working afterwards? Moreover, the same cable worked fine with Nexus 5X, regardless the OS version, which included 8.1 as well? Isn't all this a sign of a mess-up by Lenovo/Motorola?


For me at least I had plenty of disconnects before the 8.1 upgrade. I don't see disconnects with 5X, but we're also changing the phone circuitry, so maybe X4 is just less robust to bad cables.

Krozar
SCSI Port
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎05-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,787
Message 74 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2


@abatishchev wrote:

How this can be related to a cable if the same cable had 0 disconnects prior to the 8.1 update and stops working afterwards? Moreover, the same cable worked fine with Nexus 5X, regardless the OS version, which included 8.1 as well? Isn't all this a sign of a mess-up by Lenovo/Motorola?


Absolutely! No issues before 8.0, and no issues with other phone models (like a Pixel) using the same cable(s).  It's not hard to figure out that the issue lies with the phone, and the fact that it coincides with 8.x updates, indicates that it's not hardware related, and some change in the code created the issue.

 

See post 39.

Bumble_Grumble
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎07-24-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,756
Message 75 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2


@Bumble_Grumble wrote:
Doing it now. I thought I was past the window already. Fortunately, I was wrong. I'm really disappointed. I loved my Moto X 2nd gen, and the Moto X4 has been great, with this one glaring exception. And, the replacement will probably cost quite a bit more.

Since switching to the Pixel 2, I have had no issues with Android Auto.  I'm using the same USB cable and car that I used with the Moto X4.  I hope Lenovo can sort this out.

xandey
Punch Card
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎05-04-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,651
Message 76 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2


@mustang1068 wrote:

I got the OPWS 28.3.1 update and a new cable around the same time, so not sure which helped, but it is no longer disconnecting for me. I bought this USB 3.0 cable and I have yet to have it disconnect even once in the past week (used every day). I wonder if some cables just can't handle the charging demand on top of the data transfer. (either that or they snuck some unadvertised fix into 28.3.1)



I also bought that cable and it has been working for a week with no disconnects. I thought I'd post my confirmation and see if anyone who's still having problems (and is not just trolling) feels like spending $7 to see if this cable works for you.

 

I had tried the cable my Nexus 5X came with (which also worked with that phone), the cable my Moto X4 came with, As well as another two cable that all worked with my old Nexus 5X. I suspect that the X4 is pickier. Perhaps moto shipped some phones with borderline usb-c connectors, or maybe they did borderline circuitry inside. At any rate, I've started using Android Auto again. I haven't done a long car trip, but I was pretty reliably having issues during my commute.

 

The "better" cable is the "RAMPOW USB C to USB 3.0 Cable - 3.3ft" from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4OKUB8

https://rampow.com/shop/rampow-fabric-coated-usbc-cable?model=RAMPOWT01

Another user Mike0001 reported that the "Anker USB Type C Cable, PowerLine USB C to USB 3.0 Cable" cable also works with his car:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6F3WHG

I assume this: https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerline-3ft-usb-c-to-usb-3-0/A8163011

Krozar
SCSI Port
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎05-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,646
Message 77 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2


@xandey wrote:

@mustang1068 wrote:

I got the OPWS 28.3.1 update and a new cable around the same time, so not sure which helped, but it is no longer disconnecting for me. I bought this USB 3.0 cable and I have yet to have it disconnect even once in the past week (used every day). I wonder if some cables just can't handle the charging demand on top of the data transfer. (either that or they snuck some unadvertised fix into 28.3.1)



I also bought that cable and it has been working for a week with no disconnects. I thought I'd post my confirmation and see if anyone who's still having problems (and is not just trolling) feels like spending $7 to see if this cable works for you.

 

I had tried the cable my Nexus 5X came with (which also worked with that phone), the cable my Moto X4 came with, As well as another two cable that all worked with my old Nexus 5X. I suspect that the X4 is pickier. Perhaps moto shipped some phones with borderline usb-c connectors, or maybe they did borderline circuitry inside. At any rate, I've started using Android Auto again. I haven't done a long car trip, but I was pretty reliably having issues during my commute.

 

The "better" cable is the "RAMPOW USB C to USB 3.0 Cable - 3.3ft" from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4OKUB8

https://rampow.com/shop/rampow-fabric-coated-usbc-cable?model=RAMPOWT01


So, you found a workaround.  Great.  This still isn't an acceptable "solution".  No one had any issues until the upgrade to 8.1.  All of their cables worked fine.  Different model phones all still work with the original cables.  This still points to Lenovo monkeying with the USB code, and degrading the USB capabilities.  Maybe "better" cables resolve the issue - for now - but what happens when they tweak the code further, and your "better" cables stop working, too?  The other cables are all within industry spec, as well.  The idea that you have to start throwing darts at a dartboard to locate a cable that works is ludicrous.  It's a crap shoot.

 

Yeah, this isn't a fix.  See post 39.  I still content that they are taking the AOSP code and applying their own USB security concoction, and they've messed something up, but they don't understand how.  Again, Android One devices are supposed to be pure Android with the exception of the necessary drivers to get specific pieces of the hardware working, and small batch of enhancing apps.  That doesn't include adding their own security measures for hardware.  Leave that to Google.  If they rip out their extra USB security code, I'm sure it will all work without a hitch.  But they're too proud, or just don't care enough, to rip out the code.

 

And no, I'm not trolling.  I'm still here lobying for Lenovo to get their act together, and get this issue taken care of.  My wife still has the phone, so her ability to use AA in my F-150 is still impacted.  So I still have an interest in seeing this thing get fixed.  My Pixel 2 XL has NEVER had a disconnect, which should say a lot.

Mike0001
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎05-09-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,626
Message 78 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

I ordered this Anker usb3 cable as a test and because I wanted a backup for the cable of unknown origin I found that was working.  I can confirm that this works with my phone/car.

bpscott
Paper Tape
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-18-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,575
Message 79 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

I'm having the same issue with my Moto X4 in my VW Jetta GLI.  It disconnects after a while and won't reconnect during that drive.  Android Auto is one of the phone's most important features for me, so reading this thread I'm really disappointed in my purchase.

 

I'll try other cables, but I never had trouble with any of my cables (all in good condition) with my Nexus 6P until I shattered it into a million pieces.

bpscott
Paper Tape
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-18-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,534
Message 80 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

I tried using different cord, including the one that came with the device.  It made no difference.  I had the problem within 10 minutes of me leaving the house yesterday on a short errand.  I had the same problem coming back.  Someone else mentioned this, and I'll echo it.  The disconnection may have occurred when my phone reached 100% charge.

 

Today, I have switched phones with my wife, who has a Pixel 2.  Everything is working flawlessly so far after 4 trips in the car.  The device setups are as nearly identical as I could make them.  Her phone is even on Android 8.1 (despite the 9.x update being available).

 

I'm considering resetting my Moto X4 to factory settings to see if it works without the latest patches, but I won't spend too much time with it.  Because the return window is looming,  I'm probably going to request a refund and purchase a different device.

 

Note: I should have specified it's a 2017 Jetta GLI I'm having trouble staying connected to with Android Auto.

 

Top Kudoed Authors