Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krozar
SCSI Port
Views: 606
Message 81 of 112

Re: Android Auto random disconnects 8.1.0 OPW28.2

@bpscott wrote:

I tried using different cord, including the one that came with the device.  It made no difference.  I had the problem within 10 minutes of me leaving the house yesterday on a short errand.  I had the same problem coming back.  Someone else mentioned this, and I'll echo it.  The disconnection may have occurred when my phone reached 100% charge.

Today, I have switched phones with my wife, who has a Pixel 2.  Everything is working flawlessly so far after 4 trips in the car.  The device setups are as nearly identical as I could make them.  Her phone is even on Android 8.1 (despite the 9.x update being available).

I'm considering resetting my Moto X4 to factory settings to see if it works without the latest patches, but I won't spend too much time with it.  Because the return window is looming,  I'm probably going to request a refund and purchase a different device.

Note: I should have specified it's a 2017 Jetta GLI I'm having trouble staying connected to with Android Auto.

I'll save you some time....

Resetting to factory defaults does not rollback updates.  There is no way to rollback to a previous version, since the bootloader is locked, and Lenovo does not provide the factory images, nor any means to roll them back.  The only way to go back to a previous version is to obtain another phone which has not yet been updated, and then dismiss (continually) the update prompts.  Rooting the device may provide a way to rollback, but I didn't explore this much on this device.

My advice to everyone, who is still within their return window, is to return the device and purchase a different phone.   It's your best economical way out of this mess. 

BTW, we are about 9 days shy of 5 months of this garbage, at this point.

bpscott
Paper Tape
Views: 601
Message 82 of 112

@Krozar wrote:

I'll save you some time....

Resetting to factory defaults does not rollback updates.  There is no way to rollback to a previous version, since the bootloader is locked, and Lenovo does not provide the factory images, nor any means to roll them back.  The only way to go back to a previous version is to obtain another phone which has not yet been updated, and then dismiss (continually) the update prompts.  Rooting the device may provide a way to rollback, but I didn't explore this much on this device.

My advice to everyone, who is still within their return window, is to return the device and purchase a different phone.   It's your best economical way out of this mess. 

BTW, we are about 9 days shy of 5 months of this garbage, at this point.

Fair enough.  Thanks for the information and for the quick response.

This is pretty disappointing.  I was ready to like this phone, but I refuse to deal with a new phone that doesn't work with Android Auto in my car.  It's classic watching them blame the cords people are using.  It looks like many (most?  all?) of the people posting in this thread are Project Fi subscribers, which is a pretty niche group.  A disproportionate number are going to be power users and nerds.  The notes I've seen in this thread have been intelligent and mostly knowledgeable.  The company, however, can't repro and seems to just throw their arms up and say, "Use better cords.".

Krozar
SCSI Port
Views: 597
Message 83 of 112

@bpscott

Fair enough.  Thanks for the information and for the quick response.

This is pretty disappointing.  I was ready to like this phone, but I refuse to deal with a new phone that doesn't work with Android Auto in my car.  It's classic watching them blame the cords people are using.  It looks like many (most?  all?) of the people posting in this thread are Project Fi subscribers, which is a pretty niche group.  A disproportionate number are going to be power users and nerds.  The notes I've seen in this thread have been intelligent and mostly knowledgeable.  The company, however, can't repro and seems to just throw their arms up and say, "Use better cords.".

You've assessed wisely! I'm right there with you, and it's the reason I've remained one of the most vocal users on this topic.  Good luck in your quest for a new phone.  Your wife is on a good path with her Pixel 2...

xandey
Punch Card
Views: 576
Message 84 of 112

To be fair, Moto/Lenovo hasn't said anything other than that they were having trouble reproducing.

Me and two other users have had luck changing cords (factory cord didn't woek and neither did the cords that used to work with my old 5x). But I wasn't within my return window anymore. I had similar trouble with my Nexus 5x initially and I figured they would sort it eventually. In the end an $8 cord was worth it to make a $150 phone work for me. Then again I'm not sure I would chance it of I were still within the return window.

D_R_R
Paper Tape
Views: 568
Message 85 of 112

My return window closed long ago. I have the retail version not fi A1. Even though motonovo won't provide factory images for this device, some folks on other forums have captured a copy of them. So I unlocked the bootloader and tried A1 with no better luck. Didn't try the Amazon version. I don't have the rampow cable that someone here had luck with but do have the Anker one someone else got to work along with 2 other cables on "approved" Android auto list and 3 not "approved". Sure $7 for another new cable isn't going to break the bank, but the Moto supplied cable should be all anyone needs and I  shouldn't have to keep buying cables just to see if maybe it will help. Especially when all 6 cables work fine with a different phone I have, that I'd still use if the screen wasn't shattered. I guess since I've already unlocked the bootloader, at some point I can just try a non moto rom. Wish I still had my old StarTAC.  That was a nice moto phone. 

xandey
Punch Card
Views: 550
Message 86 of 112

@D_R_R wrote:

My return window closed long ago. I have the retail version not fi A1. Even though motonovo won't provide factory images for this device, some folks on other forums have captured a copy of them. So I unlocked the bootloader and tried A1 with no better luck. Didn't try the Amazon version. I don't have the rampow cable that someone here had luck with but do have the Anker one someone else got to work along with 2 other cables on "approved" Android auto list and 3 not "approved". Sure $7 for another new cable isn't going to break the bank, but the Moto supplied cable should be all anyone needs and I  shouldn't have to keep buying cables just to see if maybe it will help. Especially when all 6 cables work fine with a different phone I have, that I'd still use if the screen wasn't shattered. I guess since I've already unlocked the bootloader, at some point I can just try a non moto rom. Wish I still had my old StarTAC.  That was a nice moto phone. 

I feel your pain. My guess is that it's some dodgy hardware, and a different cable seemed to help for me. I can only vouch for the rampow cable personally. My guess is that the only fix is to convince lenovo to RMA, but I'm encouraged that would fix it since they seem to be having trouble reproducing our symptoms.

D_R_R
Paper Tape
Views: 541
Message 87 of 112

Before I go the custom rom route, since moto did announce we will get 9 pie "pending partner support" and I've kept the a1 version rather than going back to retail to get the updates slightly quicker, if we're real lucky it'll come with the Aug security update. 

bpscott
Paper Tape
Views: 539
Message 88 of 112

@D_R_R wrote:

Before I go the custom rom route, since moto did announce we will get 9 pie "pending partner support" and I've kept the a1 version rather than going back to retail to get the updates slightly quicker, if we're real lucky it'll come with the Aug security update. 

I would wait for this, too, if I wasn't going to likely miss my window to return.  They're shipping me a box right now.  Maybe Pie will release before I send it back.  I'd really like to keep this phone. Smiley Happy

Krozar
SCSI Port
Views: 536
Message 89 of 112

@D_R_R wrote:

Don't hold your breath for Pie anytime soon. 8.1 was released for Pixel devices in Nov. Lenovo didn't start pushing 8.1 to the Moto X4 until the end of April (29th for me). That's nearly 6 months. And that's what tripped all the USB/Android Auto issues. Remember, the issue started out with USB completely hosed. They fixed most of it with a subsequent update at the beginning of June, but AA is still effected.

xandey
Punch Card
Views: 524
Message 90 of 112

Krozar is right. It'll be like 6 months till we get pie, and I highly doubtful they will fix anything related to out AA problems without Moto being able to reproduce the issue. Then again maybe they have now. I've heard nothing since I sent them that video. Not that they would keep us in the loop.

Top Kudoed Authors