Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gene22
Paper Tape
Views: 829
Message 91 of 126

Re: Android Auto worst after Pie Update - Disconnects right after connected

I have good news!  I decided to try a new cable and, though I've only done a couple of short trips, Android Auto works and the phone does not disconnect from the head unit.

As background, I got my Moto X4 for Christmas.  This is my first device with a USB C connector, so I immediately purchased USB A-to-C cables for my car and briefcase.  Android Auto would not stay connected for more than a minute with either cable.  On the basis of the chatter here, I decided to try one more.  I purchased a "blackweb Sync & Charge Cable" from Walmart that supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 transfer speeds up to 10Gbps.  My best guess is that the Moto X4 only does high speed data transfer.  My other cables were probably made to the USB 2.x spec and the phone would not "handshake" with the head unit and slow down.  Perhaps a Lenovo/Motorola technician can confirm.

Good luck, everyone.

Highlighted
Ecurb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 801
Message 92 of 126

I originally posted that my x4 worked fine on my 2019 Subaru but not on a Sony aftermarket stereo in my 2000 CRV.  However, once we took a long 6 hour drive in my Subaru, the x4 disconnected so often that I finally just changed over to my Pixel 3 which was then rock solid the rest of the trip (same cable).  So, I look forward to your report on longer trips. Thanks for the detail on the cable you used.

PoolC
Blue Screen Again
Views: 723
Message 93 of 126

Heart Heart Heart  IT WORKS.  Thanks for posting this.  I bought that cable you mentioned and for the 1st time my AA didn't disconnect.  I was ready to scrap this phone for it disconnecting anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 minutes after connection was made. 

HUGE THANKS FOR SHARING THIS INFO.  

@Gene22 wrote:

I have good news!  I decided to try a new cable and, though I've only done a couple of short trips, Android Auto works and the phone does not disconnect from the head unit.

As background, I got my Moto X4 for Christmas.  This is my first device with a USB C connector, so I immediately purchased USB A-to-C cables for my car and briefcase.  Android Auto would not stay connected for more than a minute with either cable.  On the basis of the chatter here, I decided to try one more.  I purchased a "blackweb Sync & Charge Cable" from Walmart that supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 transfer speeds up to 10Gbps.  My best guess is that the Moto X4 only does high speed data transfer.  My other cables were probably made to the USB 2.x spec and the phone would not "handshake" with the head unit and slow down.  Perhaps a Lenovo/Motorola technician can confirm.

Good luck, everyone.

Gene22
Paper Tape
Views: 683
Message 94 of 126

I'm glad that helped, PoolC!
Lesmoore15
Paper Tape
Views: 637
Message 95 of 126

I bought the suggested cord and IT WORKED😁. It stayed connected for my ten minute drive home from the store. Before it would disconnect instantly. Fingers crossed it will stay connected for the long run. Thank you for posting the $7 fix.

Gene22
Paper Tape
Views: 626
Message 96 of 126

That's great, Lesmoore15!

Here's my theory.  I hope the Lenovo/Motorola engineers will check/confirm/deny.  (Know going in that I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy.  I might be missing the whole side of the barn, but I'd sure like to know.)

Most devices from olden times 300 baud modems to current Lightning/Thunderbolt devices would perform a "handshake" with a connecting device to determine at what speed it could successfully communicate.  Our X4's really deliver excellent overall performance with what, to be honest, is mostly middle-of-the-road hardware.  They could only achieve this level of performance by "optimizing" the software.  The results I've gotten suggest that my X4 only performs USB communications at full throttle.  If either my head unit or my cable cannot perform at that speed, then the connection craps out (stop me if I get too technical).

I really like my X4 but Android Auto navigation is very important to me.  I was pleased to have, hopefully, found a solution that appears to work.  You and PoolC getting positive results is most encouraging!  I'll know for certain when I do my next 8 hour, 500 mile trip.  In the meantime, I'm glad we can share tips on a forum like this and I'm really glad that what worked for me worked for you!  Everyone here has been supportive, and I am grateful.

HotTongan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 571
Message 97 of 126

I'm trying to find the cord you recommend. Is it Walmart item 567075087?

PoolC
Blue Screen Again
Views: 559
Message 98 of 126

I purchased mine in the store so I just matched up those settings listed by Gene.

Here are the box pictures if it helps...

IMG_20190410_085919560~2.jpg

IMG_20190410_085942287~2.jpg

IMG_20190410_090000172~2.jpg

I feel like I owe Gene at least a coffee or a beer or something.  Moto X4 users are in debt to you sir.  Thanks again.  

HotTongan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 554
Message 99 of 126

That's it, thanks for the pictures. I'm going to buy it this week and will report back if it works for me too.

Gene22
Paper Tape
Views: 547
Message 100 of 126

First round's on me, PoolC!

Top Kudoed Authors