Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lesmoore15
Paper Tape
Views: 1,416
Message 111 of 127

Re: Android Auto worst after Pie Update - Disconnects right after connected

Bought the cord. It worked at first, but now it stays connected for a shorter period of time each time I use it.

HardMF
Paper Tape
Views: 1,259
Message 112 of 127

I'm so disappointed....motorola is loosing all my appreciation!!! It's a shame that after MONTHS still we have no solution and nobody from Lenovo seems to care.

I used to be a big fan of motorola phones, but Android Auto is too important to do without...I bought a car without native navigation system because I thought that I could use AA....moreover is really dangerous when you drive relying on AA that randomly continously disconnects...the first few times you possibly pull over the car and restart AA, but then you are pushed to drive with your phone in your hands Smiley Sad

Someone from Motorola can give feedback different from "try another cable" (already tried with no success) or "Please make sure that your profile is update with the IMEI number of your device. This will help us investigate"?

of3r
Paper Tape
Views: 1,244
Message 113 of 127

I can (cautiously!) report that for about 1 week I have not experienced a single dropped connection with Android Auto after buying and using a USB 3.1 Gen2 cable.

I did not buy the same cable Gene recommended (too much hassle to go to WalMart) but bought a cable with the same specs from amazon: AmazonBasics USB Type-C to USB-A Male 3.1 Gen2 Cable - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGKYS6E/

All the cables I tried before and had frequent disconnects (including, I believe, the one that came with the X4) were USB 3.0 cables. 

I am fairly sure that I will continue to have occasional disconnections until Lenovo/Motorola fix this problem once and for all. But this $9.50 cable is certainly making it much safer for me to rely on navigation via android auto.

I hope this helps

Ecurb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,229
Message 114 of 127

I tried a couple of cables recommended here, but no joy. So, for my daughter's car I've purchased a Pixel3 that was half price due to it's being Goggle FI's anniversary sale (and doubles as a college graduation gift). For my car, I have my backup Moto G5+ on android 8 and it will just live in the car attached to serve as the brains for my car infotainment system (using a Google FI data only SIM). I've seen enough ads for X4s at fire sell prices that I've grave doubts Moto will fix anything except by shear accident. 

Gene22
Paper Tape
Views: 996
Message 115 of 127

Since my last post I had only done short trips around town until this past weekend, and had experienced no drops.  This weekend I had occasion to take a longer trip... about two and a half hours each way.  I am pleased to report that with the 3.1 Gen 2 cable and my head unit, Android Auto worked flawlessly with no disconnects.  It may not be a factor but my phone is updated to the April 1, 2019 security patch level.

of3r
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 116 of 127

A total of 3 weeks now after switching to the Amazon Basics USB 3.1 Gen2 cable and I have been 100% disconnection-free in this time period. UI seemed sluggish at times especially when switching between navigation and media but consistently resumed operation without having to unplug.

After plenty of in-town drives and a number of longer weekend drives I think that even if replacing the cable is not a true solution it certainly made the problem a non-issue for me. Thank you Gene22 for reporting this workaround.

Now I can finally be excited that a new version of android auto is coming up in the summer https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/06/google-refreshes-android-auto-with-new-features-and-a-darker-look/ 

... Lets hope they don't F**K it up...

freshcoast
Paper Tape
Views: 904
Message 117 of 127

I can also report success with the Amazon cable plus the April 1st update. I can't say which solved my problem, but after using Android Auto for over a week in this configuration I have had 0 disconnects, where prior to this it was unusable.

Highlighted
HardMF
Paper Tape
Views: 869
Message 118 of 127

Me too...I can confirm that with Amazon basics 30cm cable USB 3.1 Gen2 I have experienced no disconnection (except one when I accidentaly hit the cable near the phone's plug). I'm using Android 9 1st March update - Android Auto 23th April update.

I don't know why, but I still do have that feeling that something in the connection is precarious, but I have to admit that at least with this cable  AA is usable. Thank you all for your advice, I'm now again very happy with my Moto X4!

Reparatoren
Fanfold Paper
Views: 634
Message 119 of 127

Hi everyone.

After having the same experience with AndroidAuto, disconnecting, I have bought a "Belkin usb-c 3.1 "cable , that can handle speed up to 10 Gbps.

And now my problem seems to be solved.

Have used it for several hours and it has not disconnected at all. 

My X4 runs with Android 9, and I use  the stock headunit in my Skoda Superb 2016. 

(Vw-Audi-Group) 

When I switch back to the other cables, it disconnects after a few minutes.

tlhackque
Fanfold Paper
Views: 565
Message 120 of 127

Re: Android Auto Disconnects

I can't speak to whether this is the same issue - new car (2019 Subaru Forester), new phone, first use of Android Auto.  However:

Last night, a 1 hr 45 min trip, Android Auto disconnected at least 6 times.  The AA icon on the Car screen would be  greyed out.

No amount of cable plugging/unplugging would fix.

Rebooting the Infotainment system would usually bring it back.  (In this car, it's by holding volume knob depressed for 30-40 secs.)

At least twice, it also required rebooting the phone.

In these cases, often the phone screen would stay on after the reboot, when the AA display  (on the car's screen) returned.  Clicking the power button on the phone would darken the phone display and leave the car display on..  

Then, after a while the car's menu screen would return with AA greyed out, and the process restart.   I didn't touch or do anything to the phone - the FM radio was on, but didn't touch it either.  It seemed as if there was some timer in the phone that would eventually cause a disconnect - but that doesn't explin why reconnectng required a reboot of the car console.

I tried touching the phone between episodes to see if it would extend the timer.  Did not seem to wok.

I've seen the requests for debugging data - but at 65 MPH on a highway, that's not going to happen.  As a software engineer, it seems to me that it ought to be possible to automate all those steps...

Cable: usually an aftermarkete cable, but saw failures with OEM cable (shipped with phone) too.

AA & system are up to date.  Waze is installed, but not used.  Was using google map to navigate.

I added my phone, carrier, and IMEI to my profile.

Top Kudoed Authors