Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PoolC
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,072
Message 121 of 135

Re: Android Auto Disconnects

Many (thanks to Gene22) have found AA contectivity success with the USB 3.1 Gen 2 high speed cable.  If you have not tried that specific table you might want to pick one up at Walmart or Amazon.  If if doesn't work return it.  Scroll back page 10 for more info.  I'm glad I did.  I hope that helps.  

Reparatoren
Fanfold Paper
Views: 963
Message 122 of 135

Re: Android Auto worst after Pie Update - Disconnects right after connected

Hi.
After several weeks in use, long and short trips, AA has worked like a dream. No problem.
High speed , 10Gbps cable solved it for me.
kiltguy2112
Punch Card
Views: 776
Message 123 of 135

The hi speed cable worked for my wife's phone, but only after battery saver was turned off. 

Reparatoren
Fanfold Paper
Views: 691
Message 124 of 135

..and how long was Adam in paradise?...

After working flawlessly in 2 months, using high speed cable, AA start to disconnect again. Very unstable, just like before.

Of course when I have my summer holiday, and need it the most..

Gene22
Paper Tape
Views: 685
Message 125 of 135

That's terrible.  Did anything else change right before the problem reoccurred?  Android software update?

Reparatoren
Fanfold Paper
Views: 673
Message 126 of 135

No, nothing is changed, no new update.  But all apps are updated automaticly.  I hope and pray that the "New AA"  , coming in August(?) will work better, but I have doubts.  It was so obvious that the high speed cable was working well instead of the others cables,so  I hoped it was solved, but no..

skiingyac1
Paper Tape
Views: 577
Message 127 of 135

OK so I've got the same issues, disconnects, etc. but my main issue has been it won't connect in the first place, or it does but then disconnects.  And then it got into a state where the connection wouldn't even be attempted at all.  Have a call w/ level 3 moto support today... dealer said it is the phone, since they used my cable and car just fine w/ 3 of their phones.

What I discovered is that it is definitely the phone, and if others can confirm now we have proof.  When I connect to my car (a honda accord), a lot of times the little USB icon doesn't even show up on the head unit now matter what I restart, etc.  So, I shutdown my phone completely (hold power button in, pick "shutdown"  NOT restart).  I did this while the phone was plugged into the head unit, now it just shows a lightning bolt symbol.  I unplugged the USB completely from the phone, lightning bolt symbol still there... it isn't charging anymore obviously, is it stuck?  More bugs?  I don't know.   Anyway, now hold power in for a bit so the phone turns back on.  And now, the phone will connect again.  Sometimes I have to unplug/plug the USB cable into the phone and on the 2nd or 3rd attempt w/ 5-10 secs in between unplugging, it will connect... but now it will at least connect when it wouldn't even try before.

If others can confirm, then this is definitely something in the hardware/firmware that is below the OS that isn't being properly initialized or there is some bug in the firmware way below the OS.... that a hot restart won't help, you need the full power off to fix the state of the USB component (not sure if its part of the SoC or what).  At least for me, it is a (terrible) workaround, but also clear evidence the phone has bad software/firmware.  Moto had offered to send me a replacement phone for $125 which is crazy since that is what I paid for it new and it would have the same software... let's see what level 3 support says.

kiltguy2112
Punch Card
Views: 565
Message 128 of 135

I and everyone on this topic agree that the phone is the problem.  I did find a work around for my wife's phone. First is to disable battery saver. Second is to use the RAMPOW cable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4OKUB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Third is to make sure that the phone is not locked or on the lock screen and then plug into the active head unit. This is not a fix, but a work around that works in our particular circumstance. I will also say that the Amazon Basics 3.1 gen2 cable did not work for us.  We did not try the Walmart cable.  I am dissapointed in both Lenovo and Google, in letting this problem go on for so long as we bought the A1 version of this phone.

skiingyac1
Paper Tape
Views: 406
Message 129 of 135

So I've fiddled quite a bit and I think it is a combination of things (getting it to connect at all, staying connected) that I've at least somewhat overcome.  I think the former is the phone not being fast enough / too many apps, the latter is electrical in origin (although the phone should be capable of compensating for this). Had a good conversation with one of Motorola's Level 3 support people... he was pretty honest and I don't think they've been able to confirm any systemic issues with the phone.  That said, the incantation that seems to currently work for me is:

- make sure the phone has android auto set to auto-start on bluetooth connection w/ the car (this is NOT the default)

- power on the car

- make sure the phone isn't on the android auto screen, on my car I push home... this seems to give the phone a few extra seconds to get its act together (optional, works most of the time w/o this step)

- unlock the phone

- plug in the USB to the phone

- if AA starts on the phone, good. If it doesn't, start it manually

- start AA on the car side

- if the USB icon on the car side doesn't show up on the head unit, power down the phone completely (not reset, pick the "shutdown" option), and start again.  Can also be that AA didn't start, in which case you should have started it manually (this does happen sometimes)

- if still not even an attempt to connect and AA is running, stop any other big apps (games, etc.) by holding square on the phone and swiping them closed, unplug and re-plug phone w/ a 5-10 sec wait in between

- if not staying connected, 2nd time unplug and re-plug phone w/ a 5-10 sec wait in between, again start AA if it didn't, and again go to home on the car side before you plug in the phone again

- repeat the last bullet 1-2 more times

With one (I believe no-name) cable this got me thru a several hour drive with the phone (pointing vertical USB end up) in the cup holder.  Moved the phone to lay flat same cable, got disconnections every 15 mins or so... no amount of rebooting phone made this better.  A few times bumped the cable when getting a drink from the other cup holder and AA immediately disconnected...  On way home, back to cup holder with a different cable, was good for the remaining ~2 hrs.  Giving the phone's USB port a good cleaning seems to have helped somewhat, definitely doesn't hurt.

kiltguy2112
Punch Card
Views: 248
Message 130 of 135

So we have decided to move on. We really liked the phone, but this AA issue has become a deal breaker. We were hoping that Android One would mean a better response to issues such as these, but we guess not.  With upgraded cables, and a very specific plug-in processe we could make it "work", but it was still not reliable, and no apparent reason for when it would suddenly disconnect.  The Pixel 3 went on sale this week so now we are enjoying stock Android, timely security updates, one of the best phone cameras around, and most importantly reliable AA connectivity.  It's sad, this will be the first time since 1989 that there won't be an active Motorola phone in our house.

Top Kudoed Authors