Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X4
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

01-01-2018

United States of America

23 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 1 of 46

Android One Moto x4 - January Security Patch with 8.1?

2018-01-29, 15:47 PM

So, I saw where there was another thread posted where a  user asked about the 8.1 update:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X4/When-will-Moto-x4-receives-Android-8-1-update/td-p/3956049

But the moderator closed that thread without allowing any discussions. I have searched the forums and haven't found any discussion regarding the plans for when the 8.1 update (with the January security patch) will be released. The mod's response in the link above says it's been discussed numerous times, but I haven't been able to find the discussion. I see discussions where it appears that the retail version hasn't received the 8.0 Oreo update yet (wow!), but not anything concerning security patches. 

Does Motorola just plan on staying a month behind on updates (not fussing, just curious as to their plans for "timely updates")? So, should we expect the January security patch in February, the February patch in March, etc....?

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

Philippines

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 2 of 46

Re: Android One Moto x4 - January Security Patch with 8.1?

2018-01-29, 16:54 PM

Hi MeridianOMRebel

Motorola is committed to implementing essential security patches. As new security issues emerge, we will evaluate them and update your phone as needed.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

Philippines

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 3 of 46

2018-01-29, 17:11 PM

Hi MeridianOMRebel

We started rolling Oreo update for X4 devices but please be advised that OTA updates are released depending on the model, country, and carrier. We recommend waiting for the official release of OTA update, as you will receive notification about the update once available.

Essential patches are implemented as new security issues emerge, we'll evaluate them and update your phone as needed.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

11 Posts

01-01-2018

United States of America

23 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 4 of 46

2018-01-29, 19:54 PM

"Essential patches are implemented as new security issues emerge, we'll evaluate them and update your phone as needed."

Thanks for the response. So that would mean monthly - as the monthly patches include security updates. I look forward to getting the 8.1 update with the January security patches. 

Options

3 Posts

01-29-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 5 of 46

2018-01-30, 0:41 AM

Hi Ella,

The Moto Android One website promises that the X4 Android One will receive the same monthly security updates Google releases.  Even Google Nexus and Pixel phones often don’t receive pushed OTA updates for weeks after the monthly OTA update image is available on the Android Developer site, and first starts trickling out OTA.  So, the question about timing is very relevant.  However, I can’t find anything on Moto’s site or the Developer site concerning the latest builds for the X4, so I have no idea what to expect, or when (and no way to side load an OTA update image, if the device isn’t receiving the pushed OTA after a couple of months, as I had to do a couple of times on Nexus devices).  

Receiving the early Dec. patches along with the 8.0 update for the X4 in early January isn’t bad, and isn’t significantly different than Google’s own devices. Pat yourselves on the back. 

However, your response either indicates Moto will release out-of-cycle updates (which is so amazing, if true) or that Moto is trying to backtrack on the Android One monthly update promise by arbitrarily deciding what is “essential” among the many, many security patches released monthly, and then release them at Moto’s leisure.

Closing forum discussion threads claiming that Oreo update questions have already been answered many times, without providing any links to those “many” answers suggests the backtrack is in progress.  Are those of us who are expecting Moto to keep their marketing promises about to be sadly disappointed?

Options

42 Posts

11-24-2017

United Arab Emirates

99 Signins

769 Page Views

• Views: 769
  • Message 6 of 46

2018-02-01, 7:05 AM
Be frank..They have released tremendous amount of same device(device model number) with different country and they are not able to track it down..

There is no official firmware..there is nothing about this device in their developer page..
Options

11 Posts

01-01-2018

United States of America

23 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 7 of 46

2018-02-02, 18:13 PM

I honestly believe that Motorola thought they'd be able to follow through on their promise, and they also thought they'd be able to take advantage of said promise by updating their other devices. However, it seems that this was nothing but a marketing ploy, as you put it, to try to sell more devices. Look no further than their promise to deliver Oreo by the end of 2017 for the Android One Moto x4 - they were not able to deliver on that promise, as it wasn't until January 2018 for them to get Oreo out to everyone with the Android One variant. 

Having said that, the response by Ella (and I truly am being respectful here) essentially said that we'll get updates when they are released and when Motorola feels like there is a need to do so, does not fall in line with what they promised. Motorola didn't promise "monthly" updates - but they did promise "timely security updates". The use of the term "timely" certainly gives them wiggle room, but one would not reasonably believe that "timely" would mean more than "every other month". Right now the Android One variant is over 2 months behind. 

Adding to this discussion, before anyone points out that other variants fo the Moto x4 are still waiting on Oreo - that's not relevant to this, as they were not promised Oreo nor were they promised "timely security updates" as the Android One varaint was. Prior to getting this phone, I had heard horror stories of Motorola not releasing updates and such, but for them to put it in writing like they did, and this phone being the first non-Google phone (i.e. Non-Nexus, Non-Pixel) to be supported by Project Fi, the expectation was certainly there for Motorola to treat this model differently than it did with their other devices. This was my first Motorola Android phone, and based on how they have failed to follow through on their claims, it will be my last one.

Options

11 Posts

01-01-2018

United States of America

23 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 8 of 46

2018-02-02, 18:26 PM

I honestly believe that Motorola thought they'd be able to follow through on their promise, and they also thought they'd be able to take advantage of said promise by updating their other devices. However, it seems that this was nothing but a marketing ploy, as you put it, to try to sell more devices. Look no further than their promise to deliver Oreo by the end of 2017 for the Android One Moto x4 - they were not able to deliver on that promise, as it wasn't until January 2018 for them to get Oreo out to everyone with the Android One variant. 

Having said that, the response by Ella (and I truly am being respectful here) essentially said that we'll get updates when they are released and when Motorola feels like there is a need to do so, does not fall in line with what they promised. Motorola DID PROMISE MONTHLY UPDATES - https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4-android-one

Adding to this discussion, before anyone points out that other variants fo the Moto x4 are still waiting on Oreo - that's not relevant to this, as they were not promised Oreo nor were they promised MONTHLY UPDATES as the Android One varaint was. Prior to getting this phone, I had heard horror stories of Motorola not releasing updates and such, but for them to put it in writing like they did, and this phone being the first non-Google phone (i.e. Non-Nexus, Non-Pixel) to be supported by Project Fi, the expectation was certainly there for Motorola to treat this model differently than it did with their other devices. This was my first Motorola Android phone, and based on how they have failed to follow through on their claims, it will be my last one.

Options

11 Posts

01-01-2018

United States of America

23 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 9 of 46

2018-02-06, 19:46 PM

Motorola is now TWO MONTHS BEHIND on releasing the monthly security patch for the Android One Moto x4 as advertised here. Motorola stated:

The moto x4 Android One gets monthly security updates and the added security protections of Google Play Protect: built-in malware protection that keeps your phone clean, fast, and high-performing.

Obviously, that was a lie. When I reached out to Motorola Support, they said that they haven't released an update because they are "still working on it". That means it has taken Motorola two entire months to work on one security patch (guessing it's going to be the January 1 security patch based on how Support worded things). 

Seriously - how can a company blatantly lie and falsely advertise a product like this?

Options

42 Posts

11-24-2017

United Arab Emirates

99 Signins

769 Page Views

• Views: 769
  • Message 10 of 46

2018-02-07, 6:13 AM
All updates based on the region and quantity of selling devices...So if you are from India or Brazil you can see the promises on their device..
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms