Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X4
All Forum Topics
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 31 of 94

Re: Android oreo deadline

2018-01-01, 19:36 PM

wrote:

What else on Motorola's Moto X4 website didn't go as planned?  

Do all of these phones really have the dual camera system?  

Is my battery 3000mAh, or is that just what Motorola planned on using, but it's really 2500 mAh?  Cause things don't always go as planned and all.  

Let's lighten up on the sarcasm, shall we?  

About the comparison...in my humble opinion, that's comparing apples and oranges, comparing a schedule to hardware specs.  If the specs change, that must be published to the public.  If a software rollout date is missed, that isn't a change in anything, just a delay.  And the reason for the delay may be information that can't be shared with the public.

: I don't think there's a judge in the world who would call a missed date "false advertising."

Options

11 Posts

01-01-2018

United States of America

23 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 32 of 94

2018-01-01, 19:44 PM

@crystallet - you have a lack of understanding in how laws in the US work, in that case. If this were taken to small claims court, then it would be a slam dunk to win it based on false advertisement. Believe it or not, there are still laws that protect consumers against deceptive practices. This is based on a conversation I had recently with a judge (I've worked with the legal system for a very long time) since that promise of Oreo was put in place in order to help drive sales of the device.

Just admit it - Motorola made a promise it couldn't keep and they dropped the ball. Taking an arrogant attitude of just telling consumers to, basically, get over it, only does more harm with building even more mistrust and anger towards Motorola 

Options

6 Posts

12-30-2017

United States of America

3 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 33 of 94

2018-01-01, 20:18 PM
"comparing a schedule to hardware specs."

So does the promise of "at least two years of OS upgrades" also fall under the category of a "schedule"?

Would it be OK with you for Motorola to backtrack on that promise as well because it's not hardware related?
Options

25 Posts

06-08-2017

India

86 Signins

772 Page Views

• Views: 772
  • Message 34 of 94

2018-01-01, 20:56 PM
Yes ,it does. people were promised something.If there's one single instance of breaking a promise to public its quite understandable but with a track record of missing on deadlines , not to mention moto G4's case which is far worse , moto is actually setting a bad example and breeding mistrust amongst customers. This will only hurt its reputation. With the likes of one plus flourishing its only because the brand is delivering what's being promised and instances like these only creates a void that gives a way to these late arrivals to rise. You may not find this case valid enough to present in front of a judge but in a court of public nothing goes unnoticed. Maybe moto should practice the philosophy of under promising and over delivering and not vice a versa. For moto is a big brand . I just hope our voices are being heard and just not trashed with a reply like these.
Options

2018-01-01, 21:40 PM
  always fresh with early access to software upgrades Android One devices are among the first to access the latest Android OS updates and platform innovations. With moto x4 Android One, you’ll receive at least two years of OS upgrades, including an update to Android 8.0 Oreo before the end of 2017.

That's the statement from the product description page ( https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4-android-one)

Any reasonable person would have the expectation that *their* X4, not some other one out in the world, would be running Oreo by the end of 2017.  That's not nit picking, having inflated expecations, being unreasonable, or any such nonsense as it's been described.

One of the biggest draws of the Android One X4 was to get timely updates, to have some assurance that Lenovo would be on the hook for actually patching their phones with regularity.  They missed the deadline they set for themselves and for customers.  That's the truth.  Customers are not to blame for false expectations.  There's no reason to make excuses for Lenovo on this.  They haven't even found the courage to simply post a message on their blog stating what happened to cause the delay.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 36 of 94

2018-01-01, 22:04 PM

wrote:

- you have a lack of understanding in how laws in the US work, in that case. If this were taken to small claims court, then it would be a slam dunk to win it based on false advertisement. Believe it or not, there are still laws that protect consumers against deceptive practices. This is based on a conversation I had recently with a judge (I've worked with the legal system for a very long time) since that promise of Oreo was put in place in order to help drive sales of the device.

Just admit it - Motorola made a promise it couldn't keep and they dropped the ball. Taking an arrogant attitude of just telling consumers to, basically, get over it, only does more harm with building even more mistrust and anger towards Motorola 

IMHO, it's hardly a slam dunk.  18 years as a paralegal tells me that.  

I'm not dismissing your concerns about the upgrade, nor am I saying that Moto shouldn't make a statement if they can.  For all we know, it will roll this week or next (no, that is not a hint nor is it anything official).  

As a consumer, I believe my loudest message is delivered with my dollars in the retail market, not with threats of lawsuits.

Options

43 Posts

01-02-2018

United States of America

41 Signins

406 Page Views

• Views: 406
  • Message 37 of 94

2018-01-02, 17:49 PM

Thanks for your post - I just raised my ID from the dead to respond & post that the lawsuit / court claims are rediculous as one would have to prove intent on deception and show some type of loss - of which a nominally delayed upgrade really demonstrates neither, especially considering the've begun distribution in 2017 which clearly demonstrates intent to deliver on stated claim and partial compliance with target.

As for moto actually delivering, while I'm not fully satisfied, I don't think they're that far off the mark.  They rolled a November patch and have packaged the patches through December with Oreo.  This is very much a better service than typical phones in price range and similar to other Android one deliveries. I'm hopeful that this is simply a product launch resource squeeze and an improved business as usual mode begins to pick up here after Oreo clears out.

Options

42 Posts

11-24-2017

United Arab Emirates

99 Signins

769 Page Views

• Views: 769
  • Message 38 of 94

Re: Android Oreo update moto X4

2018-01-02, 19:01 PM

So what we gonna do...shall we claim false ad or just wait few more days for an update ...

wrote:

Hi Guys

Anybody having any information about android Oreo update for moto X4?

Thanks in advance.

Options

43 Posts

01-02-2018

United States of America

41 Signins

406 Page Views

• Views: 406
  • Message 39 of 94

2018-01-02, 19:10 PM
Since updates are rolling, I've got bigger fish to fry in life...
Options

2018-01-03, 0:48 AM

FWIW, I got oreo today.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms