Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmiller903
Serial Port
Views: 478
Message 51 of 177

Re: Android pie update

What state are you in? They must be slowing rolling it out by state or region. 

ZomboRomano
Paper Tape
Views: 374
Message 52 of 177

From what I've read on various news sites, it is the RETAIL version that received the update, and the project fi and the android one version have not received the update, which is why gesture navigation isn't working.

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/motorola-moto-x4-update/amp/

This is infuriating because I paid more to get good timely updates, also, Google purposely makes it easy for updates, and imo from what I read, it's still Motorolasf fault that it's been delayed on the android one version

afe123
Punch Card
Views: 364
Message 53 of 177

I purchased the phone through Google Fi, I am on Google Fi, it's AndroidOne, and I received the update. I am in Massachusetts. I'd say, don't be infuriated - it's no big deal, just another update. I am sure you will get it. 

ZomboRomano
Paper Tape
Views: 361
Message 54 of 177

Awesome. Great to hear. Are the Google gestures working for you? The one's similar to the pixel

afe123
Punch Card
Views: 305
Message 55 of 177

I never had a pixel, and I didn't spend a lot of time reading about those gestures, so I don't know how to tell. But I did share a screenshot earlier confirming the options in the gestures settings.

Tidus79001
Punch Card
Views: 301
Message 56 of 177

@afe123 wrote:

I purchased the phone through Google Fi, I am on Google Fi, it's AndroidOne, and I received the update. I am in Massachusetts. I'd say, don't be infuriated - it's no big deal, just another update. I am sure you will get it. 

My phone was bought as a Project Fi phone, but I never used the Fi service (did that because I wanted a phone with stock, or near stock Android that would receive upddates on a regular basis, but wasn't going to pay the inflated Pixel prices, and this was the only way to get an Android One phone in the US at the time that Android One was made available to US customers).  I guess that Google is choosing to penalize those of us who bought the phone, but opted to not use Fi for their service by making us wait longer for the Pie update than those customers who are on Fi.

As for you saying don't be infuriated because it's no big deal as it is only another update that couldn't be further from the truth.  Some of us have dealing with issues for 7 months since the plague known as the 8.1 update was unleashed upon our phones.  I spent several months fighting Moto support to get them to accept that the 8.1 update broke Bluetooth, and spent a month of my own time with a device sent to me from their development team collecting logs & usage statics since they couldn't on their own identify the bug.  At the end of that testing in which they had me flash a custom 8.1 update to the device which did resolve the Bluetooth issues on the development phone, but I was then informed that the fix wouldn't be pushed to 8.1, and that I would have to wait for the phone to be updated to Pie, and that it would contain the Bluetooth fix.  Now 4 months later I am still waiting, and at this point not very patiently as they have sat on thd Bluetooth fix for at least 4 months while leaving me to continue to suffer from the incompetence of not testing 8.1 properly in the first place before it was released.

Mparks1
Punch Card
Views: 280
Message 57 of 177

Well this just stinks that it's not being pushed to those who have the Android one version on other carriers like the security updates seem to be.  

It's not just an update it's a major OS update. We all should get it.  The reason I picked an Android one device is that it would get more frequent updates .  

Apple Certified iOS Technician who likes Android
peachtree
802.11n
Views: 263
Message 58 of 177

It may be that as soon as you are on another carrier instead of with project Fi, that a Major update has to be assessed and tested by that carrier, and then pushed to you by them just like with the regular X4.
I get all the security updates independent of my Carrier, but a Major update has to be vetted by them first.
Maybe one of the Moderators can chime in as to if this is actually the case.
Mparks1
Punch Card
Views: 256
Message 59 of 177

I don't know if the carrier needs to vet the software. I didn't buy my phone from T-Mobile and they don't even offer it in their stores.  They seen it as a bring your own device.  

When I had a factory unlocked LG G5 I used on Cricket and T-Mobile updates came directly from LG and not either carriers.  I hope I see the update soon. It would be nice if someone from Motorola would respond and explain why a few have Pie in the US and the rest are waiting still.  

Apple Certified iOS Technician who likes Android
ZomboRomano
Paper Tape
Views: 250
Message 60 of 177

@peachtree wrote:
It may be that as soon as you are on another carrier instead of with project Fi, that a Major update has to be assessed and tested by that carrier, and then pushed to you by them just like with the regular X4.
I get all the security updates independent of my Carrier, but a Major update has to be vetted by them first.
Maybe one of the Moderators can chime in as to if this is actually the case.

This is not true .

Phones sold through a carrier get vetted through that carrier, but phones sold as unlocked phones do not.

I would expect, like with most android updates, they are rolling it out slowly at random to people to lessen congestion. 

As far as the android one version and regular moto x4, they are getting different versions of the software so there may be difference with how those roll out, but once they are released and releasing over time I'm assuming they just slowly make it available to different IMEIS

Top Kudoed Authors