Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peachtree
802.11n
Views: 614
Message 61 of 177

Re: Android pie update

I purchased my X4 retail, and so my device is also a BYOD, but since my chosen Carrier in Germany is Vodafone, the update has to come through them.
And for us in Europe, it would be great to hear if Pie has even been sent to the Carriers over here for testing.
Mparks1
Punch Card
Views: 609
Message 62 of 177

I hope this is correct and it's just taking a while to make it out to all devices. I keep checking mine a few times a day and still says it's up to date with 8.1 Nov. 2018
Apple Certified iOS Technician who likes Android
peachtree
802.11n
Views: 603
Message 63 of 177

@ZomboRomano wrote:

@peachtree wrote:
It may be that as soon as you are on another carrier instead of with project Fi, that a Major update has to be assessed and tested by that carrier, and then pushed to you by them just like with the regular X4.
I get all the security updates independent of my Carrier, but a Major update has to be vetted by them first.
Maybe one of the Moderators can chime in as to if this is actually the case.

This is not true .

Phones sold through a carrier get vetted through that carrier, but phones sold as unlocked phones do not.

I would expect, like with most android updates, they are rolling it out slowly at random to people to lessen congestion. 

As far as the android one version and regular moto x4, they are getting different versions of the software so there may be difference with how those roll out, but once they are released and releasing over time I'm assuming they just slowly make it available to different IMEIS

Sorry but you are wrong, at least in regards to Europe - maybe it's different in the USA.

I have had Motorola phones since 2011, been a Forum Member since then, been a Beta tester for Motorola in the past. All phones have been retail, and in every case, major updates were pushed out by the Carrier, and users here had to wait until the verification process was complete, regardless of carrier.

afe123
Punch Card
Views: 591
Message 64 of 177

As for you saying don't be infuriated because it's no big deal as it is only another update that couldn't be further from the truth.  Some of us have dealing with issues for 7 months since the plague known as the 8.1 update was unleashed upon our phones.  I spent several months fighting Moto support to get them to accept that the 8.1 update broke Bluetooth, and spent a month of my own time with a device sent to me from their development team collecting logs & usage statics since they couldn't on their own identify the bug.  

@Tidus79001 sorry about that, indeed this is a very different story. Speaking for myself, 8.1 didn't break anything for me (or I don't use the features that were broken). Bluetooth definitely was working fine for me with 8.1. So for me that was indeed just another update. It was exciting to see this major update, and it feels great to know the carrier (or whoever pushes those updates) maintains the software, but other than that, I think I would be just fine if I received it later.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 569
Message 65 of 177

I COULD BE WRONG, BUT...I've been around here for several years, and I've never heard of a carrier soak.  All soaks I've ever seen come through Moto.  I have seen soaks that are dedicated to specific carrier builds, but again, conducted by Moto.

And don't think that carrier agnostic builds don't get vetted by the carriers, which makes sense when you think about it.  A manufacturer can't just create a build and distribute it to thousands and thousands of users without seeing if it actually works on a specific carrier. Moto doesn't want to be known as the one manufacturer who allowed one bug to brind down an entire network (joking!)   :-)

The public isn't immediately privy to what goes on behind the curtains, and it may not be the same all the time.   

peachtree
802.11n
Views: 564
Message 66 of 177

@crystallet wrote:

I COULD BE WRONG, BUT...I've been around here for several years, and I've never heard of a carrier soak.  All soaks I've ever seen come through Moto.  I have seen soaks that are dedicated to specific carrier builds, but again, conducted by Moto.

And don't think that carrier agnostic builds don't get vetted by the carriers, which makes sense when you think about it.  A manufacturer can't just create a build and distribute it to thousands and thousands of users without seeing if it actually works on a specific carrier. Moto doesn't want to be known as the one manufacturer who allowed one bug to brind down an entire network (joking!)   :-)

The public isn't immediately privy to what goes on behind the curtains, and it may not be the same all the time.   

Ok, thanks for this clarification. I do know that in the past (I am going back to Gingerbread now) I had to wait for the Vodafone version, even though my phone was Retail. Happy to be wrong and glad that no longer applies :-)

So with no delays let's see how fast us Europeans get Pie :-)

Mparks1
Punch Card
Views: 507
Message 67 of 177

I found this online. 

https://www-slashgear-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.slashgear.com/motorola-one-and-moto-x4-update-t...

Seems the roll out may take a while to get to every one .

Apple Certified iOS Technician who likes Android
Tidus79001
Punch Card
Views: 419
Message 68 of 177

and still a big fat nothing for those of us here in the US who have the Android One, Moto X4 from Project Fi where we as owners of the phond decided to use a different service than Fi.  So much for Android One will give timely updates as it looks like we are going to be dead last out of all the X4 variants!

https://www.androidauthority.com/motorola-one-moto-x4-android-pie-934161/

Motoz
Punch Card
Views: 382
Message 69 of 177

A report on GSMA that "Android Pie 9.0 is being released for Moto X4 in Italy."  Mine got v8.0 Oreo about 8 months later than everyone else, still haven't got 8.1. Moto says by Jan 10, we'll see...

ZomboRomano
Paper Tape
Views: 333
Message 70 of 177

Motorolas update page now says that all Android One Moto X4s are receiving the update in STAGES and will all be updated by January 10th. This is what I was talking about earlier when I said I don't believe carriers are too involved, because I frequently see these updates rolled out in groups to avoid too many people crashing a server or system

Top Kudoed Authors