cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryBuffalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,290
Message 1 of 12

Any way to stop Pie update notice other than rooting?

Last fall I purchased a Motor X4 Amazon Prime phone.  It has been updated to the last (November) security update for Android 8.1.  Then in February, I started to get the annoying Android 9 update notices.  Yes, I can dismiss it or choose "remind me later" but it seems to be coming back more often.

I recently purchased a Moto X4 Android One version hoping I could disable the Motorola Update Service to prevent the constant annoying Pie update notices, but that doesn't seem to work.

Is there any way to stop the Pie update notices on either the Amazon Prime or Android One version? 

Yes, I know that I can unlock the bootloader for the Android One version and then root the phone and then disable the Motorola Update Service, but I don't want to have to void my warranty just to keep Pie from effectively "breaking" my phone (as apparently happens based on all the post complaining about Pie on this forum and other places on the net.)

Why doesn't Motorola give users the options NOT to upgrade?  Why can't we register our phones, then elect not to receive the annoying update notices?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,216
Message 2 of 12

Re: Any way to stop Pie update notice other than rooting?

Hi GaryBuffalo,

Thanks for posting. Upgrades/Updates improve the performance of the phone, I would accept the update as soon as I receive it. Can you please update your profile with current phone, carrier, and serial number/IMEI? I'd like to see why you can't register your phone.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

GaryBuffalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,213
Message 3 of 12

The update from 8.1 to 9.0 does not impove the performance of the X4. Look at your own forum messages from people having problems. And I'm not interested in the cosmetic changes, they are not improvements, they are merely annoying changes for no reason other than change something. So instead of responding with bs about "improvements" how about answering the question - how do I prevent the update notice for pie. I'm not interested in updating no matter how much YOU might think it is an improvement.
GaryBuffalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,211
Message 4 of 12

who said I was having a problem registering my phone? I asked why we can't register the phone in such a way as to opt out of the inane unwanted harmful update notices. All my phones (all six moto X4's) are registered for warranty purposes.
Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,197
Message 5 of 12

Hi GaryBuffalo,

Sorry about the confusion. I understand you prefer not to receive updates however, there's no native way for us to do so. You can keep ignoring it, but no way to stop getting the reminder. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

GaryBuffalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,192
Message 6 of 12

Thank you for the honest and straight forward answer.

Motorola should develop a means of allowing phone owners to prevent those update notices so that phone owner can make a choice without having to root and lose warranty coverage to turn off the update notices.
this_is_nascar
Punch Card
Views: 1,167
Message 7 of 12

Don't know if it will work in your case or not, but on my Z-Play Droid, I'd I unhide the system apps and stopped Motorola Update Services, it would cease update notifications.

GaryBuffalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,162
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, you can't disable or stop the Motorola Update Service on a Moto X without rooting the phone and voiding the warranty.
snic09
Punch Card
Views: 1,118
Message 9 of 12

I kept dismissing the Pie update notification, and eventually whatever app that causes it crashed and I stopped getting notifications. That continued for 2 months, until I had to reboot the phone.

So, imperfect strategy: keep phone on always, keep dismissing the notifications, and take advantage if Android's/Montolenovo's bugginess.

Then, when it's time for a new phone, only buy from a manufacturer that allows you to control updates (including the ability to roll them back whenever you desire).

MrPinks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 504
Message 10 of 12

I find this so dang annoying. If I don't want an upgrade, I should be able to tell my device, that I paid for and use, that I don't want it and to never bother me again. There's no reason to do it this way. The day after my warranty is expired, this phone gets rooted and that nag screen goes away forever. The bad news is that I have a long way to go. C'mon, Lenovo. This is a no-brainer.
Top Kudoed Authors