Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Naturalenquirer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 376
Message 1 of 9

Dark setting grayed out in phone app after Android system update

After installing Android Pi update, the Phone app is in dark mode and it will not let me turn off dark theme in its settings. It is grayed out saying that it is set in device settings. Well nothing there. I had to uninstall the update to the Phone app to get back to light mode again.

Just posting in case Motorola or Google has a fix in another update.

boarbrush
Punch Card
Views: 354
Message 2 of 9

Re: Dark setting grayed out in phone app after Android system update

What's dark themre and how does one get to that settings?

@Naturalenquirer wrote:

After installing Android Pi update, the Phone app is in dark mode and it will not let me turn off dark theme in its settings. It is grayed out saying that it is set in device settings. Well nothing there. I had to uninstall the update to the Phone app to get back to light mode again.

Just posting in case Motorola or Google has a fix in another update.

Krishna_2409
Blue Screen Again
Views: 334
Message 3 of 9

Hey there, 

You don't have to uninstall the phone app updates. Install it again. 

Solution: Go to settings->Developer options->Go to Set Night Mode->Select Always Off

Then you'll be able to select either white theme or dark theme in phone app however you needed. 

Thanks. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 307
Message 4 of 9

Hi Naturalenquirer,

Thanks for posting. I don't think it has something to do with the Pie. Just checked mine and the dark theme doesn't affect the background color for the Phone app. I still have the Display Setting for the Phone app. Can you share us a screenshot of your Phone app Settings? I'd like to compare. Thanks. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Naturalenquirer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 272
Message 5 of 9

I updated phone app again and existing light theme was kept and the dark setting switch is now functional.

Strange as I did exactly these same steps before and it wouldn't work...

Naturalenquirer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 271
Message 6 of 9

I didn't see developer settings as an option but updating the phone app again did seem to fix it for now. Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 258
Message 7 of 9

@Naturalenquirer wrote:

I didn't see developer settings as an option but updating the phone app again did seem to fix it for now. Thanks.

Great! Glad you're able to adjust the Settings to your preferences. Let us know if you need further help. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Rahul09
Token Ring
Views: 234
Message 8 of 9

Earlier after pie update there was an issue with dark mode switching in phone, contacts and messages. Google said that it was a bug with messages app, and which is solved now. The issue was this, if dark mode is enabled in messages app, you may have disabled settings for dark mode in phone and contacts, and they also will be in dark mode. And if you disable dark mode of messages app, phone and contacts app are free to enable/disable dark mode.

Naturalenquirer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 172
Message 9 of 9

Well I woke up this morning to dark mode on again in phone app (contacts list) with no way to disable it. Dark mode is off in contacts and messages. Battery saver and night mode off. I uninstalled and re-installed Phone app with no change this time. I did notice that several Google apps updated yesterday on my phone so assume one of them is culprit but can't find anything to change in them so far.

Screenshot attached.

In meantime, I have downgraded the Phone app once again.

Top Kudoed Authors