Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X4
All Forum Topics
Options

169 Posts

07-05-2011

India

82 Signins

869 Page Views

• Views: 869
  • Message 1 of 8

Disillusioned with Moto X4 and with Motorola itself

2020-05-07, 19:18 PM

I am disillusioned with Moto X4 and with Motorola at large because of these functional lapses: 

1. Low Volume Problem: The earpiece-speaker is clearly faulty both for calls (incoming & outgoing) and for listening to audio on speakers or for hearing loud calls profiled specially for outdoors. I had started a post which got merged with another : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X4/Moto-x4-low-volume-issue/m-p/4271023?page=1 . You may view my posts under 'Verbal'. I cannot hear incoming caller's voice loudly nor can I hear incoming rings made on loud profile, needed to install an app to increase the output on speakers which worked only for apps like youtube, also very inconvenient for having to manually switch this app on & off whenever I needed to use the headphones. This basic CALLING function was sorely missed in these tough times for various reasons .. really. Somebody in the same forum, I think, got the earpiece replaced and then the whole thing worked properly which suggests that optimal quality check has not been followed by Motorola. Am sure these earpiece were sourced from different sources since not everyone is facing this problem except the very many in the forum. [This would have been a superb device with just a good quality checked earpiece-speaker]. Also despite following up with the experts (Managers, Moto Admin) on their own instructions, I did not get any replies to my feedback sadly. 
  2. The screen wakeup by swiping over the device function has stopped working altogether. This was touted as a special feature but now its no more. 
  3. Updates and Upgrades of OS, Security have not been consistently sent.
  4. The new devices in 2020 like Edge Plus aren't worth looking forward to in my opinion and this shows lack of clarity on strategy. This is off-putting. I hope I am wrong for the sake of Motorola. However, with this experience with X4 and seeing whats in store for the future considering the extreme competition thats about to ensue, I am bit worried for Motorola. Hence my disillusionment with Motorola as a company. [After having used Moto devices for a decade exactly starting with Moto Defy (2011 excellent for its time, ran well on FroYo), Moto X First Gen (2014 small sized device - width less than 67mm - which is ideal ergonomically. Best I have used and with excellent calling. Moto should make smaller devices like Moto X again), now Moto X4 (2018 - today ; disappointments galore) I would have gone beyond ten years of using Moto devices but for the above reasons].

If theres any advice on a fix for the above, please feel free to restart the whole conversation all over again.

Options

2 Posts

06-06-2019

United States of America

13 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Disillusioned with Moto X4 and with Motorola itself

2021-03-17, 16:31 PM

Just wondering if you had any success with your low volume, phone screen wakeup, and have you received any updates security wise. You're exactly right the quality of the speaker is and always has been terrible. I wish there was something I could do about it. I've been a Motorola user since the original Droid. I don't know how much longer I can keep this phone this speaker just is just getting worse. Every phone I've had I've taken apart mostly for battery issues so I'm not scared of putting the speaker in but I don't see why I would have to go through that unnecessary labor.  If anyone has had success with these issues please help if you can. Thank you

Options

169 Posts

07-05-2011

India

82 Signins

869 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-03-18, 7:55 AM

@ jmjm

Nope! I am in the same boat.

• The last security update for MotoX4 is of 1 Sept 2019, Android 9.
  • My question to Motorola is: Should any device be categorized as a phone if the basics are missing like making, receiving very audible loud incoming call, notifications for sms/messaging apps and a loud speaker?
  • This is a proven bad case (worst case scenario for buyers) of mismanagement of Quality of Manufacturing & Service wherein, I am presuming, many batches with specific faulty earpieces bypassed any quality check which resulted in the dearth of Volume issues with the MotoX4.
  • Couple of LG phones I have checked or even the previous Moto phones I have used like Moto Defy, Moto Gen1 X were excellent in these basics i.e., as phones they operated, functioned well.
  • I have noticed the so-called reviewers on youtube just casually mention lack of all of these absolutely required basic features as a side-note at the end while they complain about the camera for a good part of the review. Imagine a car reviewer analyzing the music system in the car at length while ignoring the bit about the actual running of the car.
  • I use an app to take care of this patient i.e., Moto X4 as a mediocre fix that entails a frustratingly time-consuming navigation to enable a good volume only on the speaker - the app doesn't work for incoming call or notification volume.
  • In the end with respect to the Moto X4, Motorola is lucky to slip by. A potential 100 mtr runner without legs got to participate in a running event. I guess Motorola is making merry on our collective cognitive dissonance.

Appreciate you for bringing this up. Hope this discussion piece reaches the highest management of Motorola and somebody who matters & cares responds.

Options

1977 Posts

11-24-2020

India

206 Signins

21840 Page Views

• Views: 21840
  • Message 4 of 8

2021-03-19, 5:04 AM

Hi Verbal,

We hear you. Ascending ringtone was part of the phone. It was working as designed. I know for some people this was an issue. That being said, we have already shared your previous feedback as well as your new feedback with the proper people. 

Thanks

Sunitha 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

169 Posts

07-05-2011

India

82 Signins

869 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-03-19, 13:40 PM

@ AgentSunitha :

Appreciate the acknowledgement. I am not referring to the ascending volume as a standalone issue here that works for alarm clock as well. The major moot point is generally with the Volume being low even at the loudest for every instance that requires a sound output. That's the big handicap.

Options

1977 Posts

11-24-2020

India

206 Signins

21840 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-03-19, 14:47 PM

@ Verbal wrote:

@ AgentSunitha :

Appreciate the acknowledgement. I am not referring to the ascending volume as a standalone issue here that works for alarm clock as well. The major moot point is generally with the Volume being low even at the loudest for every instance that requires a sound output. That' the big handicap.

Hi, 

I understand what you're saying. Like we said, we've passed the feedback along. If you feel the speakers have gotten worse over time, we would highly recommend repair as well.

Thanks

Sunitha 

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

169 Posts

07-05-2011

India

82 Signins

869 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-03-21, 17:01 PM

@ AgentSunitha :

Appreciate your reply - if there is a specific feedback on X4 about this issue, do let us know. I did show the device to a repair shop a year and a half ago since the authorised service centre wasn't in place. The repair shop couldn't guarantee the end result so I shelved it. I'll try once again.

Options

1977 Posts

11-24-2020

India

206 Signins

21840 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-03-22, 8:42 AM

Hi Verbal

Sure! Suggest you have it checked at our repair center you can locate a nearby service center here. Please do let us know if you need any further help with service or repair. We are here to help! 

Thanks

Sunitha

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms