Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X4
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

05-04-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 11 of 32

Re: MOTO X4 - Computer dsnt Recognize device after Last Security update.

2018-05-04, 3:10 AM

I also just installed the update to 8.1 on my Android One Project Fi Moto X4 and MTP is no longer working. It was working fine on 8.0. Please fix this as quickly as possible!

Options

27 Posts

09-14-2015

United States of America

30 Signins

452 Page Views

• Views: 452
  • Message 12 of 32

2018-05-04, 13:05 PM

This problem is also affecting my Moto G5S Plus post April security patch and I am still on Nougat.  PC doesn't see device.  No working MTP or ADB.  Fastboot and USB/OTG work fine.

Options

1 Posts

05-04-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 13 of 32

2018-05-04, 14:14 PM

Has Moto/Lenovo turned off the auto update for this yet? I don't want to be bothered with update notifications if the update does nothing but break the parts of my Moto X4 that I use daily.

Options

1 Posts

05-04-2018

United States of America

28 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 14 of 32

2018-05-04, 14:18 PM

I would like to report that I am having the same issue as well. I received my Moto X4 about three days ago (before the 8.1 update was released) and USB connectivity to my computer was working fine when on 8.0. After the 8.1 update from yesterday, however, I am no longer able to see the device on my computer.

Not sure if this helps any, but I am running Windows 10, and I noticed that the Device Manager list on the PC does not update at all when plugging/unplugging the phone from the laptop.

Options

42 Posts

05-04-2018

United States of America

60 Signins

389 Page Views

• Views: 389
  • Message 15 of 32

2018-05-04, 16:21 PM

I have the same problem. I got the April 1 update to Android 8.1 this morning, and found that the Android Auto connection to my car's head unit doesn't work. The phone does charge, but in the Settings menu, the USB connection is listed as "not connected" and is greyed out. I also tried plugging the phone into 4 different PCs running different versions of Windows, and in all cases the USB connection just said "not connected" and Windows didn't recognize that a device had been plugged in. In all cases, the phone charged when plugged in. I've rebooted several times, run in safe mode, and tried two different cables that worked perfectly yesterday.

I chatted with Project Fi support, and they want me to do a hard reset. If that doesn't work, they said the next step is replacement under warranty. But I am suspicious that a replacement phone would just have exactly the same bug. This is clearly a software bug related to the April update. If software caused the problem, then software can fix it.

Options

42 Posts

05-04-2018

United States of America

60 Signins

389 Page Views

• Views: 389
  • Message 16 of 32

2018-05-04, 16:38 PM

I have the same problem. I got the April 1 update to Android 8.1 this morning, and found that the Android Auto connection to my car's head unit doesn't work. The phone does charge, but in the Settings menu, the USB connection is listed as "not connected" and is greyed out. I also tried plugging the phone into 4 different PCs running different versions of Windows, and in all cases the USB connection just said "not connected" and Windows didn't recognize that a device had been plugged in. In all cases, the phone charged when plugged in. I've rebooted several times, run in safe mode, and tried two different cables that worked perfectly yesterday.

I chatted with Project Fi support, and they want me to do a hard reset. If that doesn't work, they said the next step is replacement under warranty. But I am suspicious that a replacement phone would just have exactly the same bug. This is clearly a software bug related to the April update. If software caused the problem, then software can fix it.

Options

12 Posts

04-13-2018

United States of America

53 Signins

465 Page Views

• Views: 465
  • Message 17 of 32

2018-05-04, 17:43 PM

I'm wondering that as well. I could maybe understand if it was just one or two of Android Auto, or MTP, or USB tethering being unusable, but ADB? The Android Debugging Bridge, which I imagine would be involved with testing on actual physical hardware prior to release being unusable should've been a major red flag.

I dunno about everyone else here, but part of the reason I switched to Project Fi & got an Android One device was to hopefully have stable, regular updates to my phone and avoid the headaches that came with updates to nightlies with Lineage or waiting (and possibly never getting) updates from the manufacturer/network. While I (and I'm sure others) have been rather persistent in asking when the updates would be coming, stuff like this kinda defeats the point of bothering...

I had been taking advantage of the X4's 5GHz to tether to my desktop til I get a new adapter, but for now it looks like I'll have to settle for the old (but rooted!) G4 with Lineage for that.

Options

10 Posts

05-04-2018

United States of America

12 Signins

143 Page Views

• Views: 143
  • Message 18 of 32

2018-05-04, 17:59 PM
Confirming Android Auto no longer works with my androidone version after installing the latest update. The vehicle doesn't even recognize that the phone is connected to the USB port.
Options

10 Posts

05-04-2018

United States of America

12 Signins

143 Page Views

• Views: 143
  • Message 19 of 32

2018-05-04, 18:03 PM
Seriously, Lenovo/Motorola, how was this not discovered during testing? I don't know why I continue to bother with Android devices. I've had buyer's remorse after almost every purchase, because of stuff like this. I don't have to have the latest updates; but if made available and installed, I expect them to work, not disable key features of my phone. Next time, I'm switching to an iPhone; enough is enough.
Options

1 Posts

05-05-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 20 of 32

2018-05-05, 16:11 PM

I have verified this issue is directly tied to the Screen Lock setting. If Screen Lock is completely disabled (set to 'None') after device reboot USB connectivity (to include MTP, ADB, etc) works without issue as before. As soon as Screen Lock is re-enabled, even without device reboot, USB connectivity stops working. This is not a computer OS/Driver issue, this is an Android OS/Moto firware issue.

Can we get the moderators to start merging these threads please!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms