Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 775
Message 1 of 13

Moto X4 Android One - Fingerprint Relock

Hello all,

Does the Android One variant of the Moto X4 allow you to relock your phone/screen with the fingerprint reader? I know the One Button Navigation feature is not present on the Android One variant, but I'd like to relock the X4 similar to my older Z Play. I can factory reset my phone to try to more aggressive steps, but would rather not reset it if it is not a feature on the Android One X4.

Thanks! 

Nathan

Also, I'd like to vent a bit about Moto email support. I have tried so hard to explain what I thought was an easy question, but the immediately suggested 3rd Party apps, replacing the phone, or asking Google to add the feature to Android. I just want to know if I should reset my phone (if for some reason it's just not working on my unit) or if it's intentionally not available on the Android One model.

First Attempt

Spoiler
I have a Moto X4 (Android One). I understand that the One Button Nav is not available for the Android One model, and that is fine. It also seems that the fingerprint reader does not re-lock the phone. Is this expected? I only used it a little with Android Oreo and recently updated to Android Pie. I thought that the fingerprint did re-lock the phone.

I have not factory reset it to see if that would allow the finger print to re-lock the phone. Can you confirm if the Android One model should be able to unlock and re-lock the phone? (Not One Button Nav, which is not available as expected).

First Answer

Spoiler

Greetings!
Thank you for contacting Motorola Mobility. Just to verify, does the finger print of the device do not lock the screen after you open it and close the screen or the the finger print not working?

In the meantime, let us perform some steps to address this issue but if you're done already performing all the troubleshooting steps below please let us know, for us to provide you more option to solve your issue.

Power Cycle
Press, and hold for a few seconds if necessary, the power button until the cellular phone is turned off completely. Wait for 15 to 30 seconds and then turn the phone back on and allow the device to come back online fully. This is called a "soft power cycle."

Reset App Preferences
Have you tried resetting the app preferences already? If not, kindly reset App Preferences please by going to Settings then Apps, swipe until you reach "All" then you can see a "3 dots" on the upper right corner of the phone’s screen, touch that then select "Reset App Preferences".

Safe Mode
1. Do not use your device while charging.
2. Use original Motorola charger
3. Reduce brightness in your device.
4. Turn OFF Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, NFC in your device.
5. Use your device in safe mode for 24 hours

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press the Power key
2. Touch and hold Power off
3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears
4. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner
5. While in Safe Mode, launch apps one at a time to identify the app causing the problem
6. Remove the app that causes the problem from the device

To remove an application:
1. Touch Menu Image
2. Play Store
3. Menu
4. My apps
5. Touch the application that you want to remove
6. Touch Uninstall, then confirm by touching OK

Please observed every troubleshooting steps if it will solve the issue on your device if not please let us know so that we can extend more help for you.
Thank you for your email, looking forward to your response!

Second Attempt (same thread)

Spoiler
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. 
I've already tried Safe Mode but that does not help. I'm not sure how the other steps help the fingerprint reader lock the phone. Is there a specific app I should remove because I'm not sure why you messaged how to remove an app.

The fingerprint does unlock successfully, but it does not lock the phone. Can you confirm the following: Does the Moto X4 with Android One software lock the screen when I use the fingerprint reader while the screen is on? I have used other Motorola phones, such as my older Moto Z Play that has both lock and unlock functionality with the fingerprint reader. Does both lock and unlock work on the Android One version of the MotoX4

Second Answer

Spoiler
Greetings!
Here are the two available options for the replacement of your phone.

1. Advanced Exchange Program:

Motorola will send the replacement device first before you send back the defective phone. You have 4-5 business days to return it from the day you received the replacement. In your credit card, we will charge you a non-refundable amount of $24.99 to cover up the premium fee. To authorize the transaction, we are going to place a security hold of $200 in your credit card, plus taxes, that will be released 7-10 business days depending on your bank procedures from the day we received the defective device. Lastly, your free FedEx shipping label will be attached on the replacement package. Shipping instructions and confirmation email will be sent to your email address.

2. Return & Exchange Program: 

You need to send first your defective device here in Motorola before we ship your replacement phone. We have to inspect the defective phone for physical or liquid damage incidence. Our escalation team will inspect the phone if it is still replaceable or not, otherwise, they will contact you via email or phone call for further resolution. Note that from the day we received your phone, you have 4-5 business days to wait and receive the replacement package from us. We will also update you through email if we received your device. You don't need to pay for a fee. Do not worry, you will receive FedEx label in your email together with the shipping instructions. Use these information to ship us your original device.

It has been a privilege for me to assist you regarding your concern, but most important is resolving the issue as well as understanding your needs as our valued customer.

Thank you for your email, looking forward to your response!

Third Attempt 

Spoiler
Neither responses have addressed my question, and I do not need a replacement phone. Please reread my question and let me know the answer. This is not a troubleshooting problem, I just want to know the answer. 

Does both lock and unlock work with the fingerprint reader on the Android One version of the Moto X4?

Third Answer

Spoiler
This feature is on-going around in a different forum site that using fingerprints scanner to activate the lockscreen on the phone. As of now, It is not confirmed by developer of Android (Google) if they already have that a release or something, we actually have no information as of moment. As we have know on the some of the customer test some 3rd party apps that works. You may search on some forum site to know what exactly the name of that 3rd party apps. Since are not allowed to name a certain app. Hope you understand. 

I do hope this statement answer your question or somewhat give an ideas. Please let me know if would there be any question or concern aside from this one.

We appreciate your patience and looking forward to your response!

Fourth Attempt

Spoiler
I don't think you understand my question: With the standard Moto X4 there are certain features that are not on the Android One Moto X4. This is expected. 

One of the features is One Button Navigation, which removes the software home button and lets you use gestures on the fingerprint reader to go Back, Home, or to Recent Apps. It is not available in the Android One Moto X4. This is expected. 

Another feature that seems only on the standard version is re-locking the phone with the fingerprint reader. This is not expected to me, and it is my exact question: 

Is locking the screen with the fingerprint reader included functionality on the Android One Moto X4? It is for the standard Moto X4

Fourth Answer

Spoiler
We apologize for the misunderstanding. 

Upon checking, the Moto X4 android one has a One Button Navigation function. It is part of the Moto Action feature on the MotoX4

Fingerprint reader to unlock the device is also available for the MotoX4 android one. 

Kindly check this link for the full specification of phone: 
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4-android-one

Were you able to access the link?

At anytime that you will need our assistance, please feel free to get in touch with us. We will always be glad to help you. Thank you for choosing Motorola! Have a wonderful day!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 723
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto X4 Android One - Fingerprint Relock

Hi NateB31,

Sorry for the inconvenience that you have experienced. Rest assured we will look into this and review those email conversations and provide the necessary actions as soon as possible. 

For the feature of relocking the phone using the fingerprint reader, please go to the Settings > Security & location > Lock screen preferences.

Please see attachment for your reference. Hope this will help.

Regards,
Mandy
Moto Support

NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 647
Message 3 of 13

Hi Mandy,

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like I have the option and it's enabled (see screenshot), but it's not working. I'll look into factory-resetting the phone.

Screenshot.png

Also, I received a call about this post from Motorola support. I really appreciate the follow-up, but can you tell me where you got my phone number from?

Thanks,

Nate

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 623
Message 4 of 13

@NateB31 wrote:

Hi Mandy,

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like I have the option and it's enabled (see screenshot), but it's not working. I'll look into factory-resetting the phone.

Screenshot.png

Also, I received a call about this post from Motorola support. I really appreciate the follow-up, but can you tell me where you got my phone number from?

Thanks,

Nate

Thank you for your response. Try to remove and re-add your fingerprint in the Settings > Security & Location > Fingerprint > Unlock the screen with your pattern, PIN or password > touch the Fingerprint to remove > touch the trash can to delete. Reboot your phone and test it again.

We have reviewed your case from the email support and we were able to gather your information.

-Mandy

josex4
Paper Tape
Views: 567
Message 5 of 13

I have exactly the same issue as NATEB31.

In my case fingerprint locking worked fine with Android Oreo. I was able to lock my phone by touching the finger print sensor and I loved it. Btw, my phone is an Android One bought from Google Fi.

Then in late 2018 the phone got upgraded to Android Pie and finger print locking stopped working. Yesterday, I updated to the Jan 1st security update version and still the phone does not lock with the finger print sensor. I have not done a factory reset since this will be very disruptive. I have tried to clear cache and data from a few apps (Moto, Moto Actions, Moto App Launcher, Motorola Settings) with no results.

I have just tried Agent_Mandy's suggestion of deleting all finger prints and restarting the phone. On restart I add one finger print and make sure that "Fingerprint Sensor Can Lock Phone" setting is enabled. No change, the phone still won't lock when I touch the finger print sensor.

I know other people on Google Fi that have the same exact Android One Moto X4 phone as me (checked Model & Harware info) and some of these people suffer from this problem after the Pie update while others don't. Split more or less 50/50.

Is there anything else I could try to restore this functionality, to restore locking with the finger print sensor?

NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 556
Message 6 of 13

Interesting that you have the same issue. I haven't gotten around to resetting my phone yet. I agree that it's not trivial to reset it, especially since I don't really need the feature.

My phone just got the January security patch today. No other issues to report.

Best of luck, please report back if you do reset your phone and I'll do the same.

Nathan

NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 479
Message 7 of 13

I factory reset my Moto X4. The fingerprint still does NOT work to relock the phone. Very disappointing.

Nathan

NateB31
Fanfold Paper
Views: 476
Message 8 of 13

Hi Mandy,

I finally took the time to reset my Moto X4. the fingerprint locks the phone but still doesn't relock the phone.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Nathan

overscan
What's DOS?
Views: 425
Message 9 of 13

This also happened to me after the Pie update. Before that, I could use the fingerprint sensor to lock the phone. Now, it will unlock but not relock.

It's definitely related to the Pie update, I saw several other reports of it on Reddit.

this_is_nascar
Punch Card
Views: 403
Message 10 of 13

It probably doesn't help, but my new standard X4 went went thru the Pie update and it's locking and unlocking just fine using the fingerprint sensor.

I can't imagine how fustrating this is for you all.

Top Kudoed Authors