Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michicago
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,828
Message 1 of 29

Moto X4 and Android Auto Wireless

I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death already, but I searched on here and couldn't find a related thread.

I just upgraded my Moto X4 to Android 9 (Pie) and expected Android Auto Wireless to work - but that hasn't been the case. Has anyone managed to get this working? Or know for certain that this is not a feature supported by the X4?

Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,794
Message 2 of 29

Re: Moto X4 and Android Auto Wireless

Hi michicago,

Thanks for posting. Can you please confirm how do you connect your phone with the Android Auto Wireless? What is the make and model of your vehicle's dock? And are you seeing any error message while connecting your phone to your car?

Regards,
Mandy
Moto Support

michicago
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,790
Message 3 of 29

Hi Mandy,

I haven't been able to connect wirelessly, only through a USB cable (which crashes often) and requires the phone to be removed and plugged back into the USB cable).

I'm using an aftermarket head unit, a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX. This unit does not 'see' the phone as a viable Android Auto Wireless device... so the 'error' seen is a long "Searching for device" followed by "No devices found".

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,753
Message 4 of 29

@michicago wrote:

Hi Mandy,

I haven't been able to connect wirelessly, only through a USB cable (which crashes often) and requires the phone to be removed and plugged back into the USB cable).

I'm using an aftermarket head unit, a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX. This unit does not 'see' the phone as a viable Android Auto Wireless device... so the 'error' seen is a long "Searching for device" followed by "No devices found".

Thanks for the additional information. We will be needing more information from you. Please include a bug report. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On 
  2. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On 
  3. Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu. 
  4. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report. 
  5. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply. 
  6. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.  

Then update your profile with the current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems. Need help updating your profile? See here

-Mandy

michicago
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,715
Message 5 of 29

Before I go and spend more time debugging a phone that's less than a year old, can you please confirm that Android Auto is supposed to work wirelessly on the Moto x4 if it's running Android 9.0? That was my sole reason for updating.

If it's NOT supposed to work on 9.0, then I'd like the files and instructions to roll back to 8.1 so Android Auto will work using a USB cable... like it did in 8.1, that's now broken in 9.0.

Thank you.

michicago
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,706
Message 6 of 29

I've gone through the painstaking process of doing a full factory reset and Android Auto still doesn't work over wireless or USB.

I'm done at this point. Please provide me files and instructions to roll back to 8.1, or instructions how to get a replacement phone in the mail ASAP.

Thanks.

michicago
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,645
Message 7 of 29

"Can you please confirm that Android Auto is supposed to work wirelessly on the Moto x4 if it's running Android 9.0?"

Is this really a question that takes more than 3 days to answer?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,636
Message 8 of 29

@michicago wrote:

"Can you please confirm that Android Auto is supposed to work wirelessly on the Moto x4 if it's running Android 9.0?"

Is this really a question that takes more than 3 days to answer?

I understand that you'd like to confirm if the Android Auto supposed to work on the moto x4 with android system 9.0. I have this reported to my team since I responded on this thread and we're still confirming it to our Engineering Teams.

I'll let you know if we already have the confirmation.

-Mandy

michicago
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,601
Message 9 of 29

Yes, that's correct.

I also want the files and instructions to downgrade to Android 8.1 so I can have Android Auto working again.

How long should it take for both of these requests to be answered?

michicago
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,547
Message 10 of 29

Well, this forum is completely useless. There's absolutely no good reason this shouldn't have been answered right away by an informed agent... but over a week with "engineering" and no response is beyond any excuse.

Top Kudoed Authors