Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mscir
Paper Tape
Views: 196
Message 1 of 11

Moto X4 - earbud 3 buttons stopped working

I love my Moto X4 (Android 8.1.0), I have an SD card loaded with 30GB of music that I listen to using Musicolet, a great app, and until recently the 3 buttons on my earbuds worked great. The volume up/down buttons worked, and the 3rd button worked great with these settings (in Musicolet):  1 push pause, 2 pushes FF, 3 pushes RW. Now none of the buttons work. I ordered a new set of earbuds to rule that source of the problem out, but they arrived today and no joy. Both sets of earbuds work and sound great otherwise. 

I didn't see 3 button earbuds listed in Settings > Connected Devices

Are there any tests or settings or apps I should be looking at?

Moto X4 Android 8.1.0 Google Fi  Developer Options enabled

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 170
Message 2 of 11

Re: Moto X4 - earbud 3 buttons stopped working

Have you tried un-installing and reinstalling the app?

Sometimes they get corrupted Smiley Sad

mscir
Paper Tape
Views: 166
Message 3 of 11

I tried uninstalling and re-installing, cleared the cache, no change. thanks for trying.

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 164
Message 4 of 11

I've had funky things happen over the years with Phone jacks caused by pocket lint,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zViKJfvTS4

mscir
Paper Tape
Views: 157
Message 5 of 11

Porphyrious, I got an old dental pick and dug out a suprisingly big pile of lint out of the jack and lo and behold it freaking works now. THANK YOU! I'm going to keep duck tape over the jack when it's not in use from now on. THANK YOU.

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 149
Message 6 of 11

@mscir wrote:

Porphyrius, I got an old dental pick and dug out a suprising pile of lint out of the jack and lo and behold it freaking works again. THANK YOU! I'm going to keep duck tape over the jack when it's not in use from now on. THANK YOU.

Glad it worked.

This might be an idea,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=3.5+mm+bung&_sacat=0

mscir
Paper Tape
Views: 146
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the thought. Good idea except when it's taken out I could easily lose it. My rubber case pulls away from the phone without too much trouble, I can put a piece of rubber in there from a bicycle inner tube maybe, and just move it out of the way when I want to use the jack. Thanks again for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it. Once you get used to the buttons, having the pull the phone out of your pocket to adjust the volume or pause the music every time someone wants to talk to you is frustrating.

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 144
Message 8 of 11

@mscir wrote:

Thanks for the thought. Good idea except when it's taken out I could easily lose it. My rubber case pulls away from the phone without too much trouble, I can put a piece of rubber in there from a bicycle inner tube maybe, and just move it out of the way when I want to use the jack. Thanks again for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it. Once you get used to the buttons, having the pull the phone out of your pocket to adjust the volume or pause the music every time someone wants to talk to you is frustrating.

Yes I know what you mean.Having the controls on the Earbuds is great and the flap idea is good.I'm a,"Bodger" as well e.g I do hacks and mods to make things the way I like them Smiley Happy

I too always have my Smartphones in a case,usually a Wallet srtyle + Screen protectors.I've never broken or scratched a screen yet and some of my old Phones still look like new Smiley Happy

mscir
Paper Tape
Views: 141
Message 9 of 11

Yeah I don't mind kludging things, sometimes they come out pretty decent (not always) lol. Do you happen to know how the phone knows the 3.5mm jack is inserted into the socket? Does it move a sprung piece of metal so it makes an electrical contact, effectively closing a switch, or is it detected by the contacts electronically? The reason I'm asking is I wonder if I have my friend's son 3dprint a jack that snaps into the socket but doesn't conduct electricity, will the phone think an earphone jack is inserted and cut off the speaker or not? Somebody already thought of it too... might be a hice way to keep the socket clean. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2354888

Greetings from California.

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 137
Message 10 of 11

When the jacks are not in as you state there are some small sprung metal contacts that close and form a different circuit.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/95575/how-does-the-phone-detect-if-3-5-mm-jack-circu...

Yjl5u

Top Kudoed Authors