Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Timx4
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,783
Message 1 of 20

Moto x4 battery refuses to accept charge

Using the factory charger and cable (also tried others), my month-old x4's battery refuses to accept a charge.

Details:

• I normally put my phone on the charger overnight

• One night last week, after being on the charger overnight, the phone only showed 50% battery in the morning.
  • Restarting the phone didn't have any effect and the battery refused to charge above 50%
  • Once off the charger, the battery ticked down to 49% pretty quickly and stayed there most of the day
  • In the late afternoon it started to tick down and by bedtime the phone had shut down due to low (1%) battery
  • After spending the night on the charger the battery remains at 1% and won't charge beyond that
  • Rebooting the phone had no effect.
  • Since the battery is so low, I can't boot into the OS at all.
  • I tried various things in the boot loader (reached via power + volume down)
  • The only thing I could get to "work" there was booting to "Factory mode" which allowed me to boot into something resembling the OS.
  • In the battery settings page, it shows that power is connected but "the battery can't charge right now".

How do I get my battery to charge so I can start using my phone again.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,740
Message 2 of 20

Re: Moto x4 battery refuses to accept charge

Hi Timx4,

That's strange. Try the following steps to recover your phone. Please do these steps while your phone is connected to the original Motorola charger plugged directly to a wall outlet.

1. Please press and hold the VOL DOWN key.
2. While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key.
3. Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds. This is more than 2 minutes and will seem like a long time, it will help to time this to ensure you hold the keys long enough.
4. After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.
5. The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted.
6. Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.

While these key sequences are the same as the Forced Reboot, holding the keys down for over two minutes issues a different command to the device. This forces a hardware reset of the processor and terminates all running commands.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Timx4
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,721
Message 3 of 20

Hi Agent_JM, thanks for the response.

I tried the steps you outlined but my situation remains unresolved.

Note, most of the steps that follow are from memory as my phone is no longer in a state where I can verify what I was seeing.

• Slight behavior update: instead of showing the charging ring with lightning bolt, my phone was showing a blank screen but a little light next to the earpiece was blinking on/off.
  • After holding the vol-down+power keys for over 2 minutes, during which the normal bootloader screen flashed on and off every 10 seconds or so, the screen that was presented was still just the bootloader screen i'd seen all along.
  • There was no "normal boot" option highlighted, though there was a "boot" option hilighted
  • Pressing the vol-up key cycled through the other typical bootloader options.
  • When I got back around to "boot" option, i pressed the power key to select
  • The phone went dark and then the little light started flashing again
  • Some (short) time later the light stopped flashing
  • Now my phone appears to be completely dead as it won't respond to any button presses (of any duration up to > 2 min).

What are possible next steps for me

Thanks again

Tim

Timx4
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,673
Message 4 of 20

If I need to initiate a return/exchange of my device I need to know sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,627
Message 5 of 20

@Timx4 wrote:

If I need to initiate a return/exchange of my device I need to know sooner rather than later.

Thanks

If the steps provided do not work, then repair/replacement is the next step.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Timx4
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,577
Message 6 of 20

Now I just need to figure out how to get the US-purchased device back to the US from my home in the UK so it can be replaced.

Thanks for your help, @Agent_JM.

Tim

LasVegasT420
Paper Tape
Views: 3,285
Message 7 of 20

My warranty expired literally 10 days ago. This is so frustrating I have the same problem and none of the steps listed help.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,246
Message 8 of 20

@LasVegasT420 wrote:
My warranty expired literally 10 days ago. This is so frustrating I have the same problem and none of the steps listed help.

Have you tried using a different charger?

- JM

rbestwelch
Paper Tape
Views: 2,007
Message 9 of 20

My brother bought a Moto X4 in December from Best Buy.  AT&T is his service provider.  My brother passed away last week.  We found his phone, and we thought the battery died.  We have tried charging the phone with the original factory cord.  We get no indication that the phone is getting any power.  There is no slight vibration when you connect it to the phone to the charger.  There is no low battery indicator.  We have tried various outlets and cords and plugs.  Nothing.

MarkAkan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,448
Message 10 of 20

I updated to Android 9.0 and had the exact same this happen in the order started! How can I fall back to 8.0?
Top Kudoed Authors